Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MY18 Mustang GT to go 0-60mph in under 4 seconds.

MY18 Mustang GT to go 0-60mph in under 4 seconds.

http://performance.ford.com/enthusia...-seconds0.html

JULY 24, 2017 | FORD MOTOR COMPANY PRESS RELEASE
    FASTER THAN YOU CAN READ THIS HEADLINE: NEW MUSTANG GT CAN GO 0-TO-60 MPH IN LESS THAN FOUR SECONDS

DEARBORN – Ford’s most advanced and powerful Mustang GT is also the fastest ever, achieving 0-to-60-mph in less than four seconds in Drag Strip mode.

The new Mustang is also faster than a $94,000 Porsche 911 Carrera, which Carl Widmann, Mustang chief engineer, attributes to five factors:

Improved horsepower and torque output of the redesigned 5.0-liter V8
    Maximum acceleration of available Drag Strip mode

The 2018 Ford Mustang GT houses a redesigned 5.0-liter V8 with 460 horsepower, 420 lb.-ft. of torque and achieves 0-to-60 mph in less than four seconds in Drag Strip mode.

Quicker, smoother shifting of the available 10-speed SelectShift® transmission

Optimized traction courtesy of the available custom-designed Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires on new Performance Pack
    “Typically, when you shift gears, you give up time,” said Widmann. “In Drag Strip mode, the engine torque doesn’t drop when you’re shifting. You get peak engine torque and horsepower straight through thanks to our new Ford-built 10-speed transmission.”

The car’s 5.0-liter V8 now features dual-fuel, high-pressure direct injection and low-pressure port fuel injection technology for increased power and efficiency. The engine’s 460 horsepower and 420 lb.-ft. of torque represent improvements over the current model’s 435 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. The result is an engine that delivers robust low-end torque, high-rpm power and improved fuel efficiency.

Drivers of EcoBoost®-equipped Mustang also will feel increased power on the strip. The retuned EcoBoost four-cylinder generates 310 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque – a 30 lb.-ft. gain over the current model. In Drag Strip mode with Performance Package and the 10-speed automatic, the 2018 EcoBoost-powered Mustang posts an impressive 0-to-60-mph time of under five seconds.

Drag Strip mode – one of five driver-selectable modes available for 2018 – has been designed to provide maximum acceleration and performance for straight-line driving. Drag Strip mode is primarily controlled by the transmission and delivers a significant acceleration boost, eliminating the lost time usually associated with automatic shifting.

The new 10-speed transmission, with a wide-ratio span and optimized gear spacing, helps deliver higher average power for acceleration – resulting in improved responsiveness and performance. The 10-speed architecture features Ford-patented power-flow and Ford-patented direct-acting hydraulic controls. It’s designed for optimum ratio progression and efficiency, and provides more accurate, quicker upshift and downshift capability.

In addition, an all-new electronic control system features real-time adaptive shift-scheduling algorithms engineered to help ensure the right gear is engaged at the right time, including skip-shift and direct downshift capability.

Compared to the outgoing six-speed, the new 10-speed automatic has quicker shift times and better low-speed tip-in response. It’s uniquely tuned for all five drive modes – normal, sport, track, Drag Strip and snow/wet. Steering wheel-mounted shift paddles allow drivers maximum manual control.

“Gearing matters, and in Drag Strip mode, this car launches better than ever off the line,” said Widmann.

Fans will be able to build and price their very own 2018 Mustang from July 25 by visiting www.ford.com/mustang/2018. New Mustang is due to reach showrooms this fall.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (25th July 2017)

Holly crapballs.

Well i didnt see that one coming, MY18 Mustang GT anyone?
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Specific to our market there could be some caveats.

Will drag mode be allowed when line block wasn't? Does line block play a part in drag mode preparation of tyres?

Probably not but it's a thing.

The other thing will be if our engines are the full HP.

After watching guitararmogeddon and his 10 speed carmaro, I am not surprised by the claims.

Aside from appearance, early indications have been this is the car to get. It takes advantage of developments from the 350 and forges a new path for its category.

I would like to know more about rhd markets to see if things like that centre console get changed, we get the full engine performance and so on.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Yep.

I'm sure it will suffer "Pacific shrink" as it crosses the water.

That said even with low 4 second capabilities that puts it right up there with the best Sub $120k coupes currently on the market.

Under 4 seconds is C63/M4 territory.

Drag mode would be effectively launch control id imagine.

If it is i wish that's what they'd call the damn thing because the wowsers in this country will be all over it.

Yes. The terminology for global consumption needs to be less bogan. How ironic.

The biggest question is if this enough to sway manual buyers.

An auto mustang!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HSE2 View Post
    Yes. The terminology for global consumption needs to be less bogan. How ironic.

The biggest question is if this enough to sway manual buyers.

An auto mustang!!!!!
    I think the 10 speed will be a game changer.

That said as it currently stands nearly 75% of FM Mustang sales are Auto's anyway.

I can't see the manual option lasting too much longer if the 10 speed causes more migration.

There is an interview with an engineer who says the improvements to the manual make it his choice.

Not sure what I would do to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by HSE2 View Post
    There is an interview with an engineer who says the improvements to the manual make it his choice.

Not sure what I would do to be honest
    Manual for me any day of the week
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

Does tiptronic loose some of its appeal with the 10 speed?

That's a heck of a lot of interaction events.

The other point is how much of the performance improvement is transmission and how much is engine?

The manual might find itself a second slower from a standing start.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast