Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MY18 Mustang GT to go 0-60mph in under 4 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Does tiptronic loose some of its appeal with the 10 speed?

That's a heck of a lot of interaction events.

The other point is how much of the performance improvement is transmission and how much is engine?

The manual might find itself a second slower from a standing start.
    I am capt slow remember, hence why I would do the manual
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TS50 For This Useful Post:

4Vman (25th July 2017),FTe217 (25th July 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by TS50 View Post
    I am capt slow remember, hence why I would do the manual
    With the ecoboost engine.....

"Couture pack"
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

With the ecoboost engine.....

"Couture pack"
    yeah yeah
    I just prefer driving a manual, I can live with it being slower, as these things are so much faster than you can legally use anyway

Besides I enjoy more point to point driving over fun roads where there wont be much difference in speed manual to auto, than I am in drag strip times
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TS50 For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (25th July 2017)

yeah yeah
    I just prefer driving a manual, I can live with it being slower, as these things are so much faster than you can legally use anyway

Besides I enjoy more point to point driving over fun roads where there wont be much difference in speed manual to auto, than I am in drag strip times
    Yeah id have a manual too as a toy and i lived in Tassie.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

yeah yeah

I'm with you Slow holy bat balls can't believe it again.
    This actually goes back to HSE2's comments re pod casts/motoring writers/race drivers etc on testing cars compared to what Joe Public can and cannot do with their ride of choice.
    Drag mode/launch control etc we hardly make use of these features on a daily base's and our "laws" for that matter kill any fun factor compared to the USA for eg.
    So this 10speed box is the next zenith - tbh who cares if your an Enthusiast ol school type.
    Our gen in most case's would pick the manual/stick shift mode - its farfar more engaging of a drive, driving around twisties with your like minded mates would you really notice your shifts are slower to the slush making its own mind box
    No you bloody well wouldn't.
    Cars just as our last S6 had NO choice but I'll go manual where available for my toys everytime now.
    I experienced my choice on the T3 in auto - its fun but no where near making changes when you wish.
    Some in surburbia make the call on auto due to traffic conditions, their call but tbh modern day manuals are not like they used to be as well - they also have improved greatly in feel and action.
    I'm afraid though as time moves ahead manuals will be phased out

Oh back on the Ford US press release - once again great news I suppose overall on the pony - BUT as mentioned will the Asian/EU vehicles get the improved options - to date our ADR's etc I highly think not.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

TS50 (25th July 2017)

I think it will come down to how much of this performance improvement comes from the 10 speed trans v engine.

We know we'll get a small drop in power, but hopefully the rest of the driveleine remains.

If that's the case we should still see very low 4's under ideal conditions.

Dont forget 60mph is 96.5kph so in reality our cars are probably going to be 4.0X anyway.

Drag mode, or Launch control as we know it exists in most performance vehicles now, even Sprints got a basic version of it.

It just shows the vastly different political climates between the US and Oz with how they label and advertise.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (25th July 2017)

Performance terms, "Cool" advertising term for the US that excites enthusiasts v Politically correct for Australia to appease the Tree hugging vegans:

Drift Mode = RWD bias.

Drag Mode = Launch assist.

Burnout Mode/Line locker = Front wheel park brake.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

HSE2 (25th July 2017)

Does tiptronic loose some of its appeal with the 10 speed?

That's a heck of a lot of interaction events.

The other point is how much of the performance improvement is transmission and how much is engine?

The manual might find itself a second slower from a standing start.
    It will be the auto doing most of the gain.

To mention you need auto and then drag mode, what they will be doing is effectively a TOB but with the transmission.

They will tolerate a level of "treading a thin line" with shift speed and torque management.

If it gives you the gear you want when you want it, I don't see it being much different to a manual except your leg isn't used.

This comes down to driver enjoyment and satisfaction.

If you remember the MY 18 picks up a dual plate clutch. This clutch has been an issue for some 350 owners.

Even in the manual we had, there was some weirdness around shift quality. You never really felt you had it dialled in.

Miami can be a little bit like that.

Being 10 speed doesn't mean you use 10 speeds. It's all about the ratio spread.

As an example, the sidling targa stage see me typically using 3 gears max and some times you would like a better spread of ratio in those gears.

At the end of the day for a manual to be any good it has to be nice to use. There is no point to it if it's a horrible feeling unit.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

WASP (26th July 2017)

2018 Mustang GT and EcoBoost Power Figures Released; 460HP and 0-60MPH in Under 4 Sec

The 2018 Mustang GT and EcoBoost power figures have just been released and the updated pony car just raised*the performance bar in a significant way.

The*2018 Mustang GT will make 460 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque, right where most of us expected the power bump to land. That doesn’t tell the whole story however, as Ford reports the vehicle will be able to accelerate from 0-to-60 mph*in under four seconds when equipped with the new 10-speed automatic transmission and using the new Drag Strip mode.

This makes the 2018 Mustang GT*not only the fastest standard Mustang*ever, but also faster than vehicles multitudes of its price, including a Porsche 911 Carrera.

The 2018 Mustang EcoBoost also also gets dramatically improved performance thanks to a big torque increase of 30 lb.-ft over the current model. In Drag Strip mode with Performance Package and the 10-speed automatic, the 2018 EcoBoost Mustang posts an impressive 0-to-60 mph time of under five seconds.

Check out the full*2018 Mustang GT and EcoBoost power figures and other specifications*in our forums.

http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=11523

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Futura For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (25th July 2017)

Validated User
    Wow, a 0-60 mph time of less than four seconds must be close to twelve flat for the quarter mile.
    That's a big improvement and one which may see some existing buyers trading in their current cars.

Heck, even the I-4 Ecoboost is geting quick with 0-60 mph in under five seconds,
    is that now quicker than an XR6 Turbo?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast