Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford sued by ACCC over transmissions

Exclamation Ford sued by ACCC over transmissions

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-2...rboxes/8745254

Ford gearbox legal action: ACCC sues car maker for 'misleading' drivers

The consumer watchdog has launched legal action against Ford, alleging the car giant has engaged in misleading and unconscionable conduct.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has claimed that about 70,000 Ford vehicles sold in Australia were fitted with a faulty dual-clutch automatic gearbox.

About half of the Ford Focus, Fiesta and EcoSport vehicles with a PowerShift transmission sold between 2011 and 2016 have required at least one significant repair.

Ford's PowerShift transmission is meant to improve fuel efficiency and provide smoother gear shifts when driving.

But thousands of customers have complained that their cars shudder and jerk when accelerating, suddenly lose power or make a lot of noise.

"The ACCC alleges that Ford misrepresented to customers who made complaints that the issues with their vehicles were caused by the way the driver handled the vehicle, even though Ford was aware of systemic issues with the vehicles from at least 2013," ACCC chairman Rod Sims said.

Some customers took their cars in for repairs up to seven times, but Ford allegedly refused to provide a refund or replacement.

Those drivers who wanted a replacement vehicle were often required to make a payment of about $7,000.

In what Mr Sims described as the most serious allegation, Ford is accused of taking the surrendered vehicles, and re-selling them to unsuspecting new buyers without disclosing the car's transmission issues.

"The ACCC is alarmed about the level of non-compliance with the Australian consumer law in the new car industry," he said.

"Cars are the second-most expensive purchase most consumers will ever make and if they fail to meet a consumer guarantee, people are automatically entitled to a remedy."

Ford vows to fight ACCC's case

The chief executive of Ford Motor Company Australia, Graeme Whickman, said the manufacturer "strongly" rejected the allegations and would challenge them.

"We acknowledge that some customers had a poor experience when the clutch shudder issues on the PowerShift transmission first came to light and we are sorry for this," Mr Whickman said in a statement.

However, the car giant has insisted it provided refunds and replacements in accordance with Australian consumer law.

"We've continued to improve our response times to customers and have been repairing vehicles, compensating customers, and depending on the circumstances, providing full refunds and providing replacement vehicles," Mr Whickman said.

Customers urged to contact Ford

Ford said more than 12,000 customers vehicles had already been upgraded, and the company was continuing to reach out to affected drivers.

Mr Whickman said any customer who has concerns about their vehicle should contact their dealer or Ford Australia directly.

"In light of today's litigation I would encourage consumers to go back to Ford and see if they can get satisfaction," Mr Sims said.

"But if they can't, they should refer the matter to us."

About fucking time!!

what is happening with these vehicles in Europe for instance where they have sold many more than 70,000 units?
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

Validated User
    I just hope the ACCC has enough traction / funds to get somewhere.

I was very disappointed with Whickmans speech today.

Ford have treated customers like dogs over this issue, many of which have had to pay more then they should have to trade their cars in on another model.

There's only one place for these cars and that's back at Ford where they should recycle them.
    2017 FORD PXII WILDTRAK 4X4
    2016 FORD FGX XR6 SPRINT LE TURBO 325
    2016 FORD LZ FOCUS SPORT
    2017 SEADOO RXT300RS JETSKI

Its clear the media have seized the opportunity to climb all over this.

Ironically the same aggressive outlets are re-running the same Camaro/Corvette rumor again today......

Just a coincidence im sure.....
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Yep, I hope ford gets hammered over this.
    Car companies have been getting away with sub standard quality for too long.

I'm surprised it's taken this long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to defective For This Useful Post:

Burnout (26th July 2017)

Validated User
    I couldn't believe how phoney and insincere Wickman's response was,
    it's right from the "Old Ford" playbook , "We've done everything..."

1. Blame the customer
    2. Drag your feet on a proper repair or remedy
    3. Encourage people to pay even more money ($7,000) to get out of these things
    4. Sell these dodgey cars onto other unsuspecting buyers.

The only up side to this is that buyers are now starting to return to the Focus
    thanks to that wonderful little 1.5 Ecoboost engine and a decent Auto trans
    that works as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by defective View Post
    Yep, I hope ford gets hammered over this.
    Car companies have been getting away with sub standard quality for too long.

I'm surprised it's taken this long.
    Hopefully it sets a precedence for all car manufacturers. It seems you have more rights with a $100 toaster then a motor vehicle.

Mind you the accc is a pretty toothless tiger....like the tga.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VZTRT For This Useful Post:

defective (26th July 2017)

Mother in-law has one of the affected focus models, now onto its 3rd transmission having only done 45,000k's. How many more will they put in before they replace the car? Funny thing is she actualky loves the focus APART from the auto issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Archilino View Post
    Mother in-law has one of the affected focus models, now onto its 3rd transmission having only done 45,000k's. How many more will they put in before they replace the car? Funny thing is she actualky loves the focus APART from the auto issues.
    Wouldn't this confirm that Ford are actually working with the owners to reach an outcome and contradict stories that Ford turn a blind eye?

Sure, it's not a great situation and I'm sure there are many annoyed owners but i don't believe it's as bad as the 70000 figure. I reckon that number would be total sales, not just the dry clutch powershift models.

I don't think this action will get anywhere.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to prydey For This Useful Post:

Randel (27th July 2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast