Thread: ROH wheels gone belly up?

Thumbs down ROH wheels gone belly up?

The plant is being auctioned off, see:

http://www.graysonline.com/sale/8005...plant?spr=true

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

Falco (1st August 2017)

Damn shame, yet another GREAT Aussie manufacturer gone the way of the Triceratops! I wonder why . . . bad management? bad market? tough competition? imports? all of the above? Doesn't matter now I suppose. Just hate to see household brand-name Aussie businesses ESPECIALLY manufacturers go belly up. As if Ford, Holden & Toyota weren't bad enough. Deep breath . . .
    - Winter White XR6 Sprint #141 with 3M Carbon tint & Koya SF-06 19" silver machined-face rims; original PZeros -

Quote Originally Posted by Falco View Post
    I wonder why . . . bad management? bad market? tough competition? imports? all of the above?.. . .
    Yes and cost of wages, penalty rates, unionisation, low productivity, cost of electricity to keep plants running, etc etc etc

Everyone wants to earn the big bucks, excellent working terms and conditions, annual leave, sick leave, paid public holidays, then they want to buy the cheapest shit possible....

But thats ok - one day we will all work in Tourism, Hospitality, Logistics or an office somewhere...

Probably get fuck all for it as well - who wants to manufacture in Australia nowadays.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Randel For This Useful Post:

TS50 (2nd August 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    But thats ok - one day we will all work in Tourism, Hospitality, Logistics or an office somewhere...
    Just like America more every day. Their manufacturing base has been destroyed and their car industry isn't long for this world. The Americans can't keep pace with the efficiencies and pricing advantage of the Asians. Look at their cut backs happening right now. Govt largess and bailouts won't happen again like they did after 2008. Ford was the only one of the big three that didn't take a bailout then - moot point now . . .
    - Winter White XR6 Sprint #141 with 3M Carbon tint & Koya SF-06 19" silver machined-face rims; original PZeros -

There really was no future for them.

Who were they going to sell wheels to without Ford and Holden?

The aftermarket is full of cheap cast $50 rims, ROH were OEM standard.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Validated User
    Have then gone belly up or are they just manufacturing offshore?
    2017 FORD PXII WILDTRAK 4X4
    2016 FORD FGX XR6 SPRINT LE TURBO 325
    2016 FORD LZ FOCUS SPORT
    2017 SEADOO RXT300RS JETSKI

I read an article a year or so ago about ROH. Only Toyota were using them as standard fitment - Ford and Holden went to China in the early 2000s.

With Toyota pulling out there was no real way for them to survive in Australia. Sad really. ROH made some of the best looking Falcon wheels in the day.

Thank god for Dumping Duty on Chinese Alloy Wheels. That will help the Aussie guys survive... Oh wait...
    I'm in love with my car. Got a feel for my automobile.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paxton For This Useful Post:

Randel (4th August 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Paxton View Post
    I read an article a year or so ago about ROH. Only Toyota were using them as standard fitment - Ford and Holden went to China in the early 2000s.

With Toyota pulling out there was no real way for them to survive in Australia. Sad really. ROH made some of the best looking Falcon wheels in the day.

Thank god for Dumping Duty on Chinese Alloy Wheels. That will help the Aussie guys survive... Oh wait...
    Ok cool.

Im pretty sure at least early on the HSV and FPV/Sprint wheels are made by ROH though.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Pretty sure Holden had a lot of its alloy wheels made in Indonesia.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

4Vman (2nd August 2017)