Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BA falcon wagon - Issues with power steering leaking, dead alternator

Just Arrived

BA falcon wagon - Issues with power steering leaking, dead alternator

Hi guys,
    our car is in at Ford having broken down last night.
    The high pressure hose on the power steering has been leaking, and enough fluid has got onto the alternator to kill that and the battery has also died as a result.

Looks like I need to replace the Power Steering pump, high pressure hose, alternator and battery.

What I don't understand is the inclusion of a power steering pump "pulley" in addition to the power steering pump.

A quick google for a PS Pump for my car shows it has a pulley

https://www.sparesbox.com.au/kelpro-...8aAoDkEALw_wcB

Excluding the pulley add on, the Ford price for the PS pump is "a bit high but OK".
    Why would they need to include the pulley?

cheers
    Mike

It is most likely because the replacement part comes pre-fitted with the pulley and it is quicker and easier to not have to swap the pulley as well.

Just Arrived
    Thanks RW,
    I get that the part is likely to come with the pulley - what i don't get is why they are charging me an extra $116 for a pulley when the new pump comes with the pulley.

cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    Thanks RW,
    I get that the part is likely to come with the pulley - what i don't get is why they are charging me an extra $116 for a pulley when the new pump comes with the pulley.

cheers
    Mike
    Sounds like one of those "Fordisms" that only they know the reasoning for. Like removing the automatic transmission dipstick, etcetera.

Just Arrived
    So I got the car back from Ford with just a battery change so I could get it home.
    I fitted the new High Pressure hose yesterday, and no leaks - yay.

I thought I'd be able to do it all from above - too hard for the lower fitting - easier from under the car.

New alternator arrived today - will go on this weekend, plus a new top and bottom radiator hose before swapping the alternator so I don't dump coolant on the new alternator!

I still need to do a flush of the Power Steering fluid - I watched a Youtube (American) where the guy disconnected the crank angle sensor to allow the engine to be cranked over on the battery/starter motor without the engine starting - he ran the Power Steering return line to a bucket to get all the old fluid out (obviously keeping an eye on fluid level and topping up as required).

Is there a simple way on a BA falcon to turn the motor over but prevent it from starting?

cheers
    Mike

Just Arrived
    bump

Are there any easy ways to be able to turn over a BA falcon on the battery/starter motor but prevent it from starting?

cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    bump

Are there any easy ways to be able to turn over a BA falcon on the battery/starter motor but prevent it from starting?

cheers
    Mike
    Take the fuel pump relay out.

Just Arrived
    thanks RW

cheers
    Mike

Just Arrived
    pulling the fuel pump fuse worked quite well - before I disconnected any hoses I turned the car over with the fuse popped - it started briefly then died after the fuel in the rail ran out.
    New fluid in the power steering done - unfortunately it's still shuddery, so still some work to do there - pump or rack.
    New coolant and radiator hoses also went on today.

The new alternator went on quite smoothly - first time I've mucked with a serpentine belt - they're brilliant!

Prior to install I noted the instructions that came with the alternator:
    "BXF1262A is fitted with an EP battery sensed regulator featuring L (warning lamp) and S (sense connection).

In early BA model vehicles the wiring harness has both L & S connections.

In later BA model (series III) the S terminal is not connected in the harness.

To test whether the S terminal is connected use a test lamp on the S terminal and earth. If there is no power on the S wire in the loom, connect the S terminal in the wiring harness plug to the main B+ terminal of the alternator.

Failure to connect the S wire in the regulator will force the regulator into backup mode and the warning lamp will remain on."

My car is a series 1 BA falcon, so I figured it shouldn't apply...

...unfortunately the battery light on the dash is on and remains on - bummer...
    It was a bit mucky under there (including the plug/connector) from the previously leaking power steering fluid - first step will be pulling the plug on the alternator and spraying some brake cleaner on the connections.
    If that doesn't work next step is to test as per the instructions for later model BA - "To test whether the S terminal is connected use a test lamp on the S terminal and earth" - I've googled but can't find a pin out diagram of the plug that goes into the alternator to know which is the "S" terminal, or how (if there is no voltage on the "S" terminal) to go about connecting the "S" terminal in the wiring harness plug to the main B+ terminal of the alternator...

Does anyone have any guidance?

cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by mikel; 9th September 2017 at 06:13 PM. Reason: typo

The terminals should be marked. Also, you need to bleed the power steering system, it has air in it which iis why it shudders. Start it, take the lid off the reservoir and with the lid off turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times to get the air out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast