Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Double down. F.E.N.A test the auto GT Mustang

Double down. F.E.N.A test the auto GT Mustang

Having been provided with the opportunity to test the auto version of the GT Mustang, I thought it might be a good opportunity to revisit some of the more controversial aspects of our original review.

Some said we were too soft, too kind, owners said we bashed the car and it came from a position of hate or Falcon denial.

Collectively we never pulled punches and this review will be no different.

First of all, simpletons the world over need to realise that when reading a review of a product you already own, that review isn't speaking to you.

You have made your decision based on whatever. You own the car, what's said in any review has no bearing or influence whatsoever on a purchase you have already made. If this applies to you, take a seat and a double dose of chill pills.

As a biased media outlet only wishing well of Ford and for Ford products, where possible, negativity will be placed in the most detailed of context.

If for example I speak about cup holders obstructing gear shifts, if you have your car sitting in the shed for the weekend, clearly what you should be thinking is it's less of an issue for part time use as it would be for daily use.
    I have a daily use mindset with this car.

That's the perfect leg on which to kick off, because with determination I have lined up just about everyone and videoed the process of review.

If your name is Paul, you won't be happy.

If your name is Bob, you won't be happy.

The short version.

Quality.
    On film you will see me check the car over. You will see me measure paint thickness for quality and consitancy and you will see the process of checking fittment and gap consistency.

We repeat for the inside and demonstrate some awkwardness that was mentioned in our original review.

Performance
    This cars engine wasn't as strong as Fords car. It also didn't have the kms on it.

Noise
    On my roads the car also wasn't as quiet as we experienced on mainland roads.

Auto
    Solves a lot of liveability issues. The tune can cause hunting at slow speeds. Town limits have it wanting to use a higher gear than you should be using. Fuel conservation is playing a part here. It is best not to use drive and that might be something some auto owners might not like.

Manual response was ok.

Brakes
    Identical. Sensational.

Seats
    Caradvice are moronic.

Engine sound. More of an issue in the auto. The fun aspect of the manual was such that it was easier to bring that sound track up. Again don't use drive.

Handling.

You can't hide in Tasmania. Back to back to back targa stages saw cars pulling off the road in front of me. It will understeer, it will oversteer but my option hasn't changed. It's a very good balance between compliance and performance for the enthusiastic driver who has brains and a sense of self preservation.

For the heros among us, aftermarket you will go.

Supercharger
    Not for me. Not in a car as a daily driver. It will uncover short comings in this car if you don't address the package. In my opinion that is.

Conclusion.

Hopefully the videos come out ok and I can use them this time. We aren't off to a good start with the PC not seeing the go pro so for the time being you get this.

Now is the time to be looking at this car.

There has been improvements in quality. My body works was consulted earlier in the week, they are seeing the same thing.

On top of that, you have choice. There are stock on the ground where you can inspect before you buy. Buying power has shifted back to the consumer.

Deals are there to be had but better still, there are demos to drive.

As good as it is to stand back and look over, it's best when driven.

It's another Ford that makes you want to drive it.

Pros
    Excellent seating position
    I have a steering setting that I like.
    Engine that largely ignores what's claimed
    Balanced chassis and suspension
    Awesome brakes.

Cons
    Some ergonomic challenges
    No digital speedo but it does give you digital cruise set speed.
    Lacking some tech features
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

383gxl (26th August 2017),4Vman (26th August 2017),defective (26th August 2017),Elks (27th August 2017),flappist (30th August 2017),FTe217 (27th August 2017),Futura (26th August 2017),jpd80 (27th August 2017),Perko (26th August 2017),WASP (26th August 2017)

Double down. F.E.N.A test the auto GT Mustang

Thank you Ian for going to the trouble and time to do this review. I am very much looking forward to your video series on this car, especially as s potential buyer. Given I am coming from the same perspective ( used as a daily ) this will be very relevant to my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.

Outstanding!
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Sounds good Ian, but the manual would still win me over
    so after driving it on familiar roads, does your impressions on driving the Ford car change?
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

No.
    I think we got that right largely because there were two of us who thought independently and who wouldn't say something just to appraise the other.

If anything it will be the second review that is potentially flawed as I have a stronger belief in conclusion via consultation.

The inconsistencies between cars with out exploring possible reasons

Engine performance.
    Interior noise
    Throttle application
    Seat belt neck intrusion.

Car consistencies.
    Steering mode feel
    Brake feel
    Balance
    Grip
    Smile on ones face

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (27th August 2017)

Validated User
    Great write up Ian.
    Good point regarding those who have already purchased as the review is really
    for those on the fence or with an open mind to buying in the near future.

I come back to the Mustang's name - GT which of course is Grand Tourer and for most
    owners, the Tourer part is important. having a comfortable compliant ride is far more
    important than a hard riding pin sharp track set up. When you're driving on Aussie roads,
    the distances can sometimes be quite long with hours behind the wheel and getting into
    a comfortable position is essential part of the experience - you have to be able to enjoy
    the journey.

Just my opinion but those who were lucky to experience the early hard top Falcon will
    probably love this Mustang, those who prefer sedans maybe not so much but in the end,
    this Mustang stands as proof positive of what can be achieved when Ford is decisive and
    makes a positive decision to support its higher value customers.

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    Great write up Ian.
    Good point regarding those who have already purchased as the review is really
    for those on the fence or with an open mind to buying in the near future.

I come back to the Mustang's name - GT which of course is Grand Tourer and for most
    owners, the Tourer part is important. having a comfortable compliant ride is far more
    important than a hard riding pin sharp track set up. When you're driving on Aussie roads,
    the distances can sometimes be quite long with hours behind the wheel and getting into
    a comfortable position is essential part of the experience - you have to be able to enjoy
    the journey.

Just my opinion but those who were lucky to experience the early hard top Falcon will
    probably love this Mustang, those who prefer sedans maybe not so much but in the end,
    this Mustang stands as proof positive of what can be achieved when Ford is decisive and
    makes a positive decision to support its higher value customers.
    Happy Birthday mate. If memory serves.

The real change is people don't need to rely on reviews any more.

The ability to test drive will solve alot of issues regarding opinions.

As long as people understand, the way I have worded this is also taking aim at us, myself included, the real value in a review is to say ok to everything.

If you own something being reviewed instead of saying or thinking the reviewer is a clown straight up, think about how what is being said could be correct.

That the seats.

What body type, fitness level finds issues?

There is a missing context in nearly every claim made.

You can make a car understeer, especially heading into a corner that's 15kph.

But does the car naturally understeer with slight provocation. Just a bit different perspective.

There is always the harder highway run to consider as well.

Research is never a wasted effort.

If you are heading into a test drive consider these areas to check.

Quality.
    Check gaps and alignment as you would with any car purchase.

With mustang I would also insist on inspecting underneath.

Seatbelt cutting into neck. Whatever body type you are just make sure you check put what that belt is doing measured against your seating position.

Obviously check that hand brake location and operation for you. Again body type and seat position make a difference.

On road ignore the initial thoughts on the bonnet length. Dont be put off by it because you do get used to it.

Driving characteristics are alot harder to speak on. We are all different so you need to test what's important to you.

In the end that experience is what we expect from Ford. We have reasonable expectations of their products, mustang delivers on those expectations.

In my opinion.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (27th August 2017)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

383gxl (29th August 2017),FTe217 (30th August 2017),WASP (29th August 2017)

Before I go too far with these videos, the quality really is just good enough for us here.

It appears I have an issue with the mic on this camera. Its not so bad in this one but the next video my voice is coming in and out badly.

Let me know what you guys thing, if you want me to do the others or if the quality and editing skills are just not good enough.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

383gxl (29th August 2017),4Vman (29th August 2017),WASP (29th August 2017)

Thanks Ian, very insightful as usual.

While I can see many onlookers being a bit horrified by some of the panel mis-matches /alignments there is nothing there I haven't seen on our Falcon's, especially around the rear bar. What this really highlights is its no AUDI in terms of finish quality and to expect 'more of the same' if you want a performance Ford under $60k. I suspect only the Focus RS will give you better panel fit quality if you want a Ford badge on it.

In terms of your video, the sounds was pretty clear actually with just the odd bit of wind/mic noise. The only part that was a bit of an issue is your shadow covering the car where you were showing the panel alignment on the front. This is probably best done under artificial light? I also couldn't see the paint thickness reading but that's no biggy. Overall, well done. I look forward to the next installment.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (30th August 2017)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast