Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VW Dieselgate engineer gets 3 years.

VW Dieselgate engineer gets 3 years.

https://www.motoring.com.au/volkswag...jailed-108624/

Wow....

One of the Volkswagen Group’s key engineers has been jailed for 40 months and fined $US200,000 for his role in the Dieselgate conspiracy.

German citizen James Liang assisted US prosecutors to build their cases against other senior Volkswagen Group executives in the global conspiracy, which Judge Sean Cox insisted in US District Court lead to him delivering a lighter sentence.

Prosecutors said Liang, 63, had “provided an insider’s perspective of a company that had lost its ethical moorings in pursuit of increased market share and corporate profits.”

His attorney had asked the court for a 21-month house-arrest sentence in light of his assistance to prosecutors, while prosecutors had asked for three years, which would have cut two years from the five-year maximum penalty.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

and he assisted them
    what would he have got if he didnt?
    what are the others getting?
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TS50 For This Useful Post:

Randel (1st September 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by TS50 View Post
    and he assisted them
    what would he have got if he didnt?
    what are the others getting?
    This is getting dicey when you get jailed for doing your job......
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    This is getting dicey when you get jailed for doing your job......
    The Nuremburg defence has never held up, anywhere.
    "You might not notice them, but those few standing proud are the reason some can stand at all."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

4Vman (28th August 2017)

Chain of responsibility means it could quite easily happen here. Well, maybe not qld because workplace health and safety is 20 years behind everyone else but technically it's certainly possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
    The Nuremburg defence has never held up, anywhere.
    I'd normally agree with this, but in the corporate world the execs tell us they get the big money because the buck stops with them and they are responsible for what goes on underneath them. They're either worth that money and this is true or they should all be given hefty pay cuts because the buck doesn't really stop with them.

Quote Originally Posted by GTF449 View Post
    I'd normally agree with this, but in the corporate world the execs tell us they get the big money because the buck stops with them and they are responsible for what goes on underneath them. They're either worth that money and this is true or they should all be given hefty pay cuts because the buck doesn't really stop with them.
    In this case the engineer in question was complicit in the offending. The risk with the buck stops here doctrine, if you don't speak out that is, is that if misconduct is uncovered and the execs throw you under the bus, you're screwed because you're complicit in the misconduct via your refusal (or reluctance, as the case may be) to blow the whistle or take action over it. The courts will see it as an acceptance or acknowledgement of the conduct.

At the end of the day I guess it is up to the shareholders to deal with the pay issue and corporate culture and resolve any questions about the 'worth' of the execs.
    "You might not notice them, but those few standing proud are the reason some can stand at all."

Yeah legally you're right, I'm not sure it's as morally black and white as that. For this guy he was living it up off the company so it's pretty clear he was complicit and his silence paid for.
    In other instances the person who can blow the whistle might be struggling to get by and need that job to support their family. I know whistleblowers are supposed to be protected but I think reality is somewhat different.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of this for those further up the food chain, I'd be pretty worried if I were them...

Well they were estimating 1.200 additional early deaths due to the extra emissions, thats just for Europe.

You could argue he got off lightly..

http://news.mit.edu/2017/volkswagen-...hs-europe-0303
    As a Pink Floyd fan I get mad when I see vegans eating pudding.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elks For This Useful Post:

GTF449 (29th August 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by GTF449 View Post
    Yeah legally you're right, I'm not sure it's as morally black and white as that. For this guy he was living it up off the company so it's pretty clear he was complicit and his silence paid for.
    In other instances the person who can blow the whistle might be struggling to get by and need that job to support their family. I know whistleblowers are supposed to be protected but I think reality is somewhat different.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of this for those further up the food chain, I'd be pretty worried if I were them...
    Absolutely, your moral compass will often be swayed by the reality of mortgages, mouths to feed and improper influence in the workplace. All well and good for us to comment from the comfort of our keyboards but unless we're in that situation we don't know exactly how we'd deal with it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

GTF449 (29th August 2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast