Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VW Dieselgate engineer gets 3 years.

Validated User
    In thins case, there was sufficient evidence to conclude that VW knew what it was doing was wrong and that
    senior company officials encouraged subordinates to continue with the warning, "Don't get caught".

That is conspiracy under Yank law - a felony that goes way beyond the original law breaking criminal activity.

and now this:
    Phones for VW lawyer, emissions tester were lost or wiped clean, court records say
    August 31, 2017 @ 7:56 pm
    Ryan Beene and Margaret Cronin Fisk
    Bloomberg

Volkswagen AG's top U.S. lawyer and the leader of its emissions-testing lab in California are among the employees whose mobile devices were either lost or erased as the company's diesel cheating scandal emerged, according to court records made public on Thursday.

David Geanacopoulos, VW Group of America's senior vice president for public affairs and public policy, reported he lost his phone while en route to Los Angeles International Airport on Dec. 1, 2015, according to the records. He was VW of America's general counsel at the time.

The documents also show that the company cell phones of Anna Schneider, VW's senior vice president of industry and government relations, and Matthias Barke, senior director of VW's emissions test center in Oxnard, Calif., were "wiped" or erased of data in the months after the EPA announced VW had rigged its vehicles to pass pollution tests.

Questions about the lost or erased phones were raised in December when the Federal Trade Commission asked the judge overseeing related litigation in federal court in San Francisco to order further questioning of Volkswagen U.S. officials about whether evidence, including mobile phones, was destroyed.
    and in a nutshell:
    "In the context of the massive scandal at the center of this case, 23 lost or bricked phones is a bright red flag, especially when they include phones that belonged to important individuals,'' the FTC said in the December filing.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Im struggling to see why he should get jail for following instructions of his employer.

Surely the company should bare responsibility for their ethics.
    I agree incredibly harsh to pick out one engneer and ruin his life, when their must have been hundreds if not thousands of people turning a blind eye.

Maybe it's just the Nuremberg defense of "i was just following orders" still doesn't work"
    As a Pink Floyd fan I get mad when I see vegans eating pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I was privvy to some VicPol discussions around CoR and they are very much aware of the lack of prosecutions bought against CoR legislation, so stay tuned - it is a powerful (albeit under-utilised) legislation

They are chasing the top end of town as they have the power
    Well very very long over due.
    As a Pink Floyd fan I get mad when I see vegans eating pudding.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123