Thread: Ford patent shows self-leveling cupholder--no more spills

Ford patent shows self-leveling cupholder--no more spills

File this to Ford's growing list of obscure patents the American automaker has moved to protect over the past few years. It looks like Ford may be interested in ensuring drivers' beverages arrive intact with a self-leveling cupholder.
    Ford moved to protect the self-leveling cupholder with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, which shows the traditional design placed at the center of a gimbal. From there, the gimbal moves with any external forces it encounters, which could be acceleration, braking, turning, you get the idea. A weight at the bottom of the cupholder also helps the gimbal provide the proper corrections.
    Additionally, the patent also describes a lip guard to work as protection against any dirt or debris that may become trapped and interfere with the gimbal. It also acts as a safeguard to keep the the cupholder from moving too far in one direction. Or, you could not drive around with liquids that aren't secured with a lid, but this works too.
    Ford has filed patents for many intriguing innovations in the past few years. There's the*retractable bike rack, strange*steering-wheel mounted gear selectors, a*cockpit with removable steering wheel and pedals, and even*heat graphics. Automakers regularly move to protect various products and processes, but there's no guarantee they'll ever come to market.
    In the meantime, keep your beverages secure in place the old-fashioned wayŚwith a lid at all times. No one likes cleaning up hot coffee or sticky residue from soda pop.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

yer well, things that are important today instead of focussing more on customer service and their range of product and pricing and as I've mentioned long before, raise their WTY to instill new buyer confidence maybe.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Probably been working on it since the e series drink holders debacle....
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to defective For This Useful Post:

HSE2 (2nd September 2017)

Hopefully auto up windows next on the agenda.....
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Perko (3rd September 2017)

This is a very serious issue. You know how much I rate my drink holders theses days.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Validated User
    I wonder if Ford will actually use it or just keep the patent there for anyone planning t use it in future

(Random fact: 77,007 F Series sold in August, 576,334 YTD....we're very small in the Ford universe)

Will the Mustang ones have airbags that deploy when you hit the crowd..
    As a Pink Floyd fan I get mad when I see vegans eating pudding.

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by Elks View Post
    Will the Mustang ones have airbags that deploy when you hit the crowd..
    A bit too soon after that tragic event...

I was actually thinking of this scene from the big Lebowski.......LINK
    Last edited by jpd80; 3rd September 2017 at 05:26 PM.