Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yarra Council introduce 30kph trial.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Nup.

You can buy apartments here with no parking.

Or a Unit/Town house with a 5m x 3m "1 car" garage at right angles to a 2.5m wide driveway you'd barely get a Prius with 4 wheel steering into....
    Well that's fucking stupid, at least the anti-car numpties over here understand you've got to require car parking otherwise chaos ensues, the only exclusion to that would be old areas that pre-dated the car and have apartments and houses built in narrow lanes

Quote Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
    Well that's fucking stupid, at least the anti-car numpties over here understand you've got to require car parking otherwise chaos ensues, the only exclusion to that would be old areas that pre-dated the car and have apartments and houses built in narrow lanes
    I can't tell you how often i see new developments being built with "2 car" garages that are 3/5ths of fucking useless.

Built at right angles to a laneway between apartments for starters means most people say fuck it, it's a 4 min 30 point turn job to get into it so i'm leaving the car in the street causing congestion.

Some Architects need lining up and shooting.

Or the new 2m x 4.8m carpark parking bay meaning anyone with greater than a 100cm waistline can't physically get out of their car or risk door dings or bumper nudges.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    I can't tell you how often i see new developments being built with "2 car" garages that are 3/5ths of fucking useless.

Built at right angles to a laneway between apartments for starters means most people say fuck it, it's a 4 min 30 point turn job to get into it so i'm leaving the car in the street causing congestion.

Some Architects need lining up and shooting.

Or the new 2m x 4.8m carpark parking bay meaning anyone with greater than a 100cm waistline can't physically get out of their car or risk door dings or bumper nudges.
    It is the council planners that approve them, they are supposed to be using turning circle templates on the site plans that get submitted when they assess the applications for these buildings, clearly they arent if the garaging is unusable, it comes down to "business expediency" (i.e. appeasing impatient developers who don't want to wait longer than 5 minutes for a development approval) and poor assessment practices/managerial oversight

Quote Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
    It is the council planners that approve them, they are supposed to be using turning circle templates on the site plans that get submitted when they assess the applications for these buildings, clearly they arent if the garaging is unusable, it comes down to "business expediency" (i.e. appeasing impatient developers who don't want to wait longer than 5 minutes for a development approval) and poor assessment practices/managerial oversight
    They plot templates on drawings but in reality needing a 50mm clearance to a brick wall to navigate a tight turn will inevitably end up in damage or frustration at some point.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Lot's to add here as it's a part of town im in often.

1 the designated area is very narrow, and full of gutters, speed humps, and other assorted traffic management / rage inducing devices. You would be luck to travel at 30 most of the time. but now they can fine you for it.

As for property development. Yarra and Melbourne city councils are are now insisting on only 1 car park per unit. Which is manageable if you both work in the city. And about 500,000 people do. That leaves 1.5m that don't. And whilst we here love our cars and driving them, plenty of people don't. My woife would be happy to catch public transport everywhere, but as here work takes her all over the outer eastern suburbs, that's just not possible.

Me: Is it possible for the Yarra Council to get any dumber?

Yarra Council: Hold my beer. (Or more likely, become the custodian of my Soy Chai Latte')
    As a Pink Floyd fan I get mad when I see vegans eating pudding.

*Smashed av sanga.

Bought to you by the same council who banned Australia Day.

Hell, we should probably just walk everywhere

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12