Thread: Supercars reach agreement to take over the GT Championship.

Supercars reach agreement to take over the GT Championship.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/09/05/...le-run-aus-gt/

Supercars has reached an agreement in principle to takeover the operational commitments of Australian GT from next year, Speedcafe.com has learned.
    It is understood the arrangement made with Australian GT boss Tony Quinn was communicated to competitors at meetings in Brisbane and Melbourne today.
    The completion of the deal is however subject to approval from the Confederation of Australian Motorsport (CAMS).
    A presentation delivered to entrants revealed the category could be rebranded SuperGT, not to be confused with Japanís Super GT series, to fall into line with Supercarsí Super2 and SuperUtes monikers.
    Supercars has long been interested in taking over the category with talks regarding a management change held between category bosses at Sydney Motorsport Park last month.
    The meeting was instigated by Quinn who is keen for Supercars to assist the championshipís growth after suffering a drop in competitors this year.
    Discussions have since continued before both parties reached an agreement in principle today to run the category, subject to CAMS approval.
    The agreement would see Supercars run the Australian GT Championship, Australian Endurance Championship (AEC) and the Australian GT Trophy Series for older specification cars.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

another category to be run into the ground?
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

Quote Originally Posted by TS50 View Post
    another category to be run into the ground?
    Best way to control your competition is buy it.

Look at the F5000 series that will follow....
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Futura (7th September 2017),TS50 (7th September 2017)

Enjoying FOA's Final Masterpiece Perko's Avatar
    In a way it may be good. If V8SC are smart they can work the schedules around so the V8 drivers can possibly get some more seats in the GT class. For me when the Falcons go Supercars loses it major drawcard and the Superutes at this stage isn't much better.
    Ford Heritage : KF Laser, XF Ute, XH Tradesman Ute, EL Futura, AU2 Ute, XD Ute, XH XR6 Ute, BA XR8 Ute, SX Territory, BF XR8 Sedan, EB2 S XR6, EB1 S XR8, WQ Fiesta, FGX XR8

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post

Yep, supercars to buy them out must of been worried.

it was on the table once supercars put on a test day same time as 24hr or 6hr Bathurst from memory last year or did they just ban them from being part of it.
    No matter they knew they had to take it out as it was gaining traction.
    If this mob looks to control more categories I'll seriously reduce my involvement as a die hard fan where ever they have control.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Enjoying FOA's Final Masterpiece Perko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    it was on the table once supercars put on a test day same time as 24hr or 6hr Bathurst from memory last year or did they just ban them from being part of it.
    No matter they knew they had to take it out as it was gaining traction.
    If this mob looks to control more categories I'll seriously reduce my involvement as a die hard fan where ever they have control.
    There was a clash and many drivers came out publicly about it. I am hoping that they can open up the times. I like the GT category and hope it continues.
    Ford Heritage : KF Laser, XF Ute, XH Tradesman Ute, EL Futura, AU2 Ute, XD Ute, XH XR6 Ute, BA XR8 Ute, SX Territory, BF XR8 Sedan, EB2 S XR6, EB1 S XR8, WQ Fiesta, FGX XR8

John Bowe has posted on FB about it being positive for the category (his words)

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post

Or look at Chanel 7 and V8 Supercars. Their input and shift in the way it's been run since has almost killed it. And that was to protect Ch&'s AFL investment.

It will be interesting if CBS are allowed to purchase Ch10 they will have the finacial clout to do it again properly.

It's now the subject of a court case with Bruce Gordon and Jr Murdoch who were happy to let the network crash so they could pick it up cheap. Their issue will be Ch10 owes CBS $800m which they would have to pay.
    As a Pink Floyd fan I get mad when I see vegans eating pudding.