Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Escape ad

I get it now.

While to the conservative traditionalists (me) it's excruciating to watch this its embracing reach through unconventional social media methods.

These girls have massive appeal and connect.

Ford have piggybacked off that, good or bad they got their product seen and associated and we're talking about it.

Millennials seem to love it.

But personally for me it was like walking in on your grandma in the shower....
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Perko (16th September 2017)

Validated User
    Meh, I thought it was a cute ad, 500,450 views by the time I looked....
    and hey, if it hits the target audience and increases sales, more power to Ford.

Enjoying FOA's Final Masterpiece Perko's Avatar
    The sad reality is pretty simple, our time has been and almost gone. Falcon has died with no option so why pander to a small portion of the market? We had our time and now Ford are looking to connect to their market. This means getting bums into Escape, Focus, and building brand exposure through social media. If they have 500,000 views then job done. Exposure sorted and now build on that. Yep it does make me cringe but I am a mature market. I know what I want, am informed, and will grab it when/if I need the product. Falcon was my last personal purchase. Ranger will be for future. So therefore this ad never was aimed at me.
    Ford Heritage : KF Laser, XF Ute, XH Tradesman Ute, EL Futura, AU2 Ute, XD Ute, XH XR6 Ute, BA XR8 Ute, SX Territory, BF XR8 Sedan, EB2 S XR6, EB1 S XR8, WQ Fiesta, FGX XR8

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perko For This Useful Post:

Burnout (17th September 2017),jpd80 (17th September 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    Cant believe you put yourself through that so many times.. do you feel no pain??

Oh it was painful because I saw the ad and the content as being detrimental to the Ford brand.

I thought that for these reasons.

No one in this country refers to petrol as gasoline. On a very basic consumer level that's a straight up disconnect if the audience was viewing the commercial with a consumable approach.

Read that in context as another attack on Australiaism.

How badly that resonates will depend on how annoyed you become at reputation.

That it took so long, that the word fuel was used over and over, it, to some will translate into the opposite of what I suspect Ford wanted you to know and that it is frugal.

I think they are saying it gives them more time to do the Macarena, a dance that was more publicly acknowledged in what decade!

I don't understand why they missed the bowser unless it was to say we are dumb females, which in today's world brings in the term misogeny, or at the very least the feminist protests on depiction.

The mustang placed incorrectly for the task at hand, driven by women who don't know which side the filler is on?

This is very clinical, very cold, but in the same way you pick, Conrod with the Rapter, this stuff is noticeable on more than a casual glance.

I watched it multiple times because I wanted to understand it.

That lead to searching for sketchshe.

On YouTube 951,856 subscribers. The video that put them on the map, 29 million views.

The original song is about sex or at least it can be read that way.

On their own channel, the comments aren't great

Cringe worthy is said a lot.

Wtf is said a lot.

Not your best work, is said a lot.

That left me with going to Fords wall to see what was said.

Predicably some negative stuff as well.

So I went to their Facebook page.

2 million likes or members if you like.

This video has 450k in views and over 700 in comments when I looked and over 900 shares (distribution)

On this platform, you have to search a lot of those comments to find a negative.

So what's this mean for Ford.

In the place with the largest audience it was received very well but by comments it's about the talent not the product.

In those comments were some "nuts" "goof" and "insane" which sketchshe replied with, we will take that because that's their brand.

If those 450k plus views saw the cars, at the time of me reading comments, it didn't register.

I get that's it fun and realitively harmless but at the same time opened the door to an attack by people who have reason to find a reason.

In this case being associated with a hugely popular act doesn't get you the focus and praise in the way that matters.

In Fords space, in the YouTube world, it didn't play well because that audience is more brutal in assessment.

In the space of the ladies, commenting for them instead of pure objectivity on content sees a much better reaction.

Are we selling cars or tickets to a concert?

Ford Australia right now is into everything they can be that is not directly related to selling cars. I would be ok with that if I didn't see them as under performing.

They said they didn't like being the Falcon car company. They are the ranger car company now and that's still singular.

In the class they struggle, maybe, just maybe, some of those 2 million facebooked sketchshe fans might see past the pretty faces, catchshe (on purpose norm) lyrics to the products on display.

I am not convinced.

When you read a comment on Fords own Facebook page in relation to this that says

"This is what's wrong with Ford"

It's really hard to argue.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

Randel (18th September 2017)

I just spent 2 days at a Retail Summit on the Gold Coast, 15 keynote speakers in total from companies like Telstra, Target, 7/11 and BMW.

Very heavy 48 hours, but some interesting stuff on retailer engagement, dwell time and activation.

Mobile devices featured HEAVILY as a digital tool, Retailers all said they saw a huge conversion to sale rate where a consumer researched in store via mobile.

The Head of future Retail from BMW Germany flew out just for the Conference.

His speech was fantastic, and i had lunch with him the following day.

BMW aim to immerse you in the experience, gain your confidence and create loyalty.

He said anyone who buys a BMW purely for the technology needs their head read.

BMW have created an aspirational image that allows them to charge a premium.

Nothing new there, we already knew that, but i wonder how far off the beaten track Ford need to go before its too late?

The passenger range in this country is as good as having ZERO uptake.

Yep, we're the Ranger car company with Mustang next best, in the states Mustang is a bit player amongst the Trucks and Passenger products, that should be the case here too..

Oh, at the end of lunch after enlightening him about Falcon and Miami he said in a polished German Accent:

"enjoy ze 400 kilowatz as long as you canz, sadly zeez are a zing of ze past"...
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Lego IT Trailer.

1.2 million views in 10 days...

I don't think there is any question on exposure. I think there is a question on what is seen when the audience focus is very different.

On the sketchshe Facebook page with the largest viewership and support feedback, the real question would be how many registered the Ford products or were cars just a prop and tool for another sketch.

Did Ford even approach them or was it the other way round?

This sort of context probably matters in as much the Ford promotion of that video could be seen as the same as any owner sending in drone footage of their mustang or ranger.

If that were the case, it's (Ford) patronage is innocent and without any real direction or consequence.

However if it were Ford running it and wanting the association, it's very different and the reactions depending on which page you look at reflect that.

The point being and this is where Ford might be right with a number of stances they take, is purely dependant on which direction you look.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Enjoying FOA's Final Masterpiece Perko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    I just spent 2 days at a Retail Summit on the Gold Coast, 15 keynote speakers in total from companies like Telstra, Target, 7/11 and BMW.

Very heavy 48 hours, but some interesting stuff on retailer engagement, dwell time and activation.

Mobile devices featured HEAVILY as a digital tool, Retailers all said they saw a huge conversion to sale rate where a consumer researched in store via mobile.

The Head of future Retail from BMW Germany flew out just for the Conference.

His speech was fantastic, and i had lunch with him the following day.

BMW aim to immerse you in the experience, gain your confidence and create loyalty.

He said anyone who buys a BMW purely for the technology needs their head read.

BMW have created an aspirational image that allows them to charge a premium.

Nothing new there, we already knew that, but i wonder how far off the beaten track Ford need to go before its too late?

The passenger range in this country is as good as having ZERO uptake.

Yep, we're the Ranger car company with Mustang next best, in the states Mustang is a bit player amongst the Trucks and Passenger products, that should be the case here too..

Oh, at the end of lunch after enlightening him about Falcon and Miami he said in a polished German Accent:

"enjoy ze 400 kilowatz as long as you canz, sadly zeez are a zing of ze past"...
    BMW can look at the premium market because of a few reasons. Firstly they have had a consistent marketing aim for decades. BMW is the driving experience. Marketing, products, placement have centred around this.Yep there has been some blips but generally good. They also understand their target consumer.They are people who will pay a premium for a consistent product. This does not happen over a couple of years. It has been built over number of decades. Ford is completely the opposite. They lack consistency. This does not allow a company to build a culture or name. Hence why we see what we see now.
    Ford Heritage : KF Laser, XF Ute, XH Tradesman Ute, EL Futura, AU2 Ute, XD Ute, XH XR6 Ute, BA XR8 Ute, SX Territory, BF XR8 Sedan, EB2 S XR6, EB1 S XR8, WQ Fiesta, FGX XR8

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Perko For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (18th September 2017)

This one always makes me laugh:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Randel (18th September 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Perko View Post
    BMW can look at the premium market because of a few reasons. Firstly they have had a consistent marketing aim for decades. BMW is the driving experience. Marketing, products, placement have centred around this.Yep there has been some blips but generally good. They also understand their target consumer.They are people who will pay a premium for a consistent product. This does not happen over a couple of years. It has been built over number of decades. Ford is completely the opposite. They lack consistency. This does not allow a company to build a culture or name. Hence why we see what we see now.
    Yes.

It's a Ford trait in this country, broken inconsistent message and action, in and out of motorsport, etc.

Consistency of message and action (assuming they're good ones) cements your reputation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast