Thread: 2 VW's in 2 days

2 VW's in 2 days

Its been an interesting week at the b2tf household. in the space of 2 days I've bought 2 brand new VW's..........and one goes.

Offender #1 - VW Caddy Maxi Comfortline 2.0 TDi. Another work bus for my physio and her kids to punt around in, but also to be used to go to trials and consults etc. We've had a Caddy before, just a base model work hack, and it was brilliant, so bugger it why not another one. Off to Carsales, ooo that'll do, 2015 model, never driven, out the door at a good price, warranty the lot. Sold. Turns out it's one of the brand new cars VW bought back from the dealers when Dieselgate first blew up so they parked it and waited until it all blew over.

Off to Newcastle to pick it up, fly up dealer meets me at the airport, all going great. Car has everything and I'm really happy with the deal, jump in off we go to drive the 500kms home. Within 10kms check engine light, hmmm this isnt good, quick call to the selling dealer "oh must be cause we washed the engine bay, all good keep going any dramas let us know". Sure enough everything in the bay is wet, so apart from thinking they're morons off I go not too concerned down the M1 toward Sydney.

Penant Hills Rd being its usual wonderful snarl, hang on 2 lights now check engine and glow plug flashing which on a VW means turbo issue. Shit. This isnt good. No boost, drives like a dog all with 363km on the odometer. By now I'm thinking this wasnt such a good idea.
    Off to a side street, call VW assist - guys, we've got a problem. No worries, we'll send a tech.

Tech turns up, runs the fault codes hmmmmmm engine AND auto trans fault. Shit this thing is a DSG, surely it hasnt failed already. Ask the tech what do I do, oh sir you need to ring VW assist back and organise a tow. Well hang on, you're here, can't you just do it? Nope sorry see you later. Well that's a bit shit but guess I dont have a choice, I'll give VW a call.

Certainly sir we can tow your vehicle what is the make and model? Um, here's a hint I called VW assist, oh yes of course sorry. What model is it? It's a Caddy. Sorry sir I'm not familiar with that model, what is it's weight and length? Oh fuck, you know what I forgot to pack my tape measure in case I needed to measure it up for a tow truck. Guess you'll just have to look it up given YOU ARE VW. Not happy by this stage.

Selling dealer calls me back by this knowing what is going on as I called him earlier and said WTF, leave it with me he says I'll make some calls. No worries, calls me back - it's all good, Ive jumped the queue tow truck on its way. We'll take it to the nearest dealer, get you in a vehicle so you can get home. Well given the circumstances thats about the best I can ask for, so OK no worries.

3 FUCKING HOURS later tow truck turns up, towie is a good guy tells me we're off to Parramatta. No worries can I come with you I've been waiting here for hours, yeh you're not supposed to but jump in. Off to Parra, van gets dropped off, Austin does his nut at dealership staff who have no idea who I am or what car is doing there, ok sir we've arranged you a rental vehicle you'll just need to walk down the street turn the corner and..........no. Austin isn't walking anywhere, DP about to leave in 40th anniversary GTi, come with me he says. That's better.

Hire car home (Nissan X Trails are shit btw) and following morning the diagnosis on the Caddy is that the emissions 'fix' was not applied properly, car freaks out goes into limp mode see you later. Ok, well not a huge issue but a major pain in the arse nonetheless. When will you be coming to get the vehicle sir as it's kind of in our way. Oh really? Sorry, but not my problem I'm 400kms away, you can deliver it to me. Still waiting to find out when it will get here but I am told VW are mortified and will "certainly" make things right. So far I have 12 months free servicing, set of mats for free etc etc the usual.

You would think after that little jaunt I might lay off the Krautwagens but NOPE the following day I bought a Passat TSI R-Line Wagon to replace Mrs B2tf's POS Hyundai Tucson. That one is in Adelaide so off to South Oz next week to pick it up and begin the 1300km trip home. That one is a hamburger with the lot though so I'm looking forward to it. $37k out the door and I'll register it when I get home and still come out in front of the local dealer to the tune of about $5k. Happy days, this now means I have my Amarok and the Passat at home, and 2 Crafters and the Caddy at work likely to be joined by a Transporter midway through next year.

I must be crazy...........
    1997 EL GT #037 - Burgundy, Manual, Dusty.
    2015 VW Amarok 4MOTION Manual, tuned, BFG's, Lift - the Urban Warrior
    2017 VW Passat TSI R-Line Wagon - family hauler with the lot

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b2tf For This Useful Post:

4Vman (25th September 2017),FTe217 (25th September 2017),HSE2 (27th September 2017)

Crazy, who knows but I guess so.
    Talk about shopping afar but I expect you need to due to lack of choice and competitive pricing.
    WAPIA the Caddy experience.
    Don't know if I would have accepted that but demand for my dollars back.
    Whats been the outcome since ?

The Passat wagon always gets my eye, there is a blue sports one around my office and when I see it on the road think not bad.
    Its funny, I jumped int he deep end wife wanting the Jeep long ago and now to 70000k's its been pretty damn good as much as it scares me I feel the same with VeeDubs but they have some good models - ie Golf gti's R's now looking mad but useless for me for now but a wagon would work for the Mrs's but I doubt I could talk her into one.

So, the Tucson was crap ?
    Whilst in Melb last week I noticed a bucket load of them on the road compared to Syd, sure they are around but really obvious down there.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Nothing quite like impulse indiscriminate car purchases lol
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

well, he is crazy as quoted lol....
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Nothing quite like impulse indiscriminate car purchases lol
    Nup far from it. Passat has way more than Mondeo and just looks better, a lot nicer on the inside and the R Line pack makes it a nice place to be. Doesnt need to be the fastest as it's the family hauler (or at least it will be).
    The previous Caddy could not be killed no matter how hard previous staff tried so I'm happy with my purchases. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    Crazy, who knows but I guess so.
    Talk about shopping afar but I expect you need to due to lack of choice and competitive pricing.
    WAPIA the Caddy experience.
    Don't know if I would have accepted that but demand for my dollars back.
    Whats been the outcome since ?

The Passat wagon always gets my eye, there is a blue sports one around my office and when I see it on the road think not bad.
    Its funny, I jumped int he deep end wife wanting the Jeep long ago and now to 70000k's its been pretty damn good as much as it scares me I feel the same with VeeDubs but they have some good models - ie Golf gti's R's now looking mad but useless for me for now but a wagon would work for the Mrs's but I doubt I could talk her into one.

So, the Tucson was crap ?
    Whilst in Melb last week I noticed a bucket load of them on the road compared to Syd, sure they are around but really obvious down there.
    Caddy was almost a 'dont want it back' situation and had it have been a major mechanical failure I would not have accepted it. Time will tell if I made the right decision i suppose but their efforts to make up for the situation have made me feel a bit better about it, put it this way I wont have to spend any money on servicing for a long, long time.
    Tucson was utter shit, underpowered and slow and ours was a manual 2.0 although non turbo. Between that and the annoying little issues it had that always required a day at the dealer, the final straw was when my wife locked herself out of it 45mins from home with our 6 month old on a cold day, roadside assist wouldn't come and help. Was only by sheer luck that I knew the NRMA guy in town and he did me a favour. After that the brand can go jump.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to b2tf For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (26th September 2017)

My Jetta with the DSG (6 Speed) has been bullet proof. Just servicing pains (wallet pain mainly) but it almost has me convinced to buy a Golf GTI next year - again DSG.

The Passats are a nice bit of kit. Did you get the 206 R Line? They go like stink and are equipped like an Audi from about 3 years ago.

The diesel shitstorm caught VW napping. If I had a Diesel VW, I wouldn't have the new software installed - but me being me, I would more likely Stage 1 the Diesel.
    Deutschland, Deutschland über alles
    Volkswagen Number 3 - Passat Alltrack 130TDi

Quote Originally Posted by Paxton View Post
    My Jetta with the DSG (6 Speed) has been bullet proof. Just servicing pains (wallet pain mainly) but it almost has me convinced to buy a Golf GTI next year - again DSG.

The Passats are a nice bit of kit. Did you get the 206 R Line? They go like stink and are equipped like an Audi from about 3 years ago.

The diesel shitstorm caught VW napping. If I had a Diesel VW, I wouldn't have the new software installed - but me being me, I would more likely Stage 1 the Diesel.
    We got the 132TSI with the R Line package, so lots of show and not any more go than normal. Like this but nowhere near the price:

http://bayfordvolkswagen.com.au/stoc...kswagen-passat

It will be good for what we will need, 4 year lease with guaranteed future value so we take it back and get another one off we go again. Same deal as my Amarok - it isnt affected by Dieselgate but I have tuned it anyway and similar to you I wouldnt have had it 'fixed' if it was. I have spoken to a few guys now who have had theirs done and regret it, and of course once it's done there isn't any going back.

Passat wag is nice bit of kit for the fam run around. Hope she's good to you.
    Ah ok re Tucson, makes me wonder why so many around but that 7yr WTY is a huge drawcard for joe public.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.