Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oct motormag tuner mustang edition

Given they will retain their Chev identity they wouldnt wear HSV branding obviously.

Walkinshaw will effectively be a silent contractor.

The price point will be well above GT Mustang too so the packaging will be very interesting given the 30 od $K the conversion will add.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (30th September 2017)

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by HSE2 View Post
    I think it’s going to make a difference as to which Camaro they go after.

It won’t be the entry level.

The price of supercharged mustangs is 85k - 160k.

If they can effectively convert an already supercharged car and land in that price range, they will be ok.

HSV won’t be competing with GT mustangs. They will be super camaros, just short of 1LE I suspect.

This will be more walkingshaw than HSV.
    Ian, i want to believe that Holden will basically start importing coupes to replace lost SS, Clubsport
    and GTS sales but given the added recitivness of Holden v8 buyers, can GM afford to take the risk
    by going for an apex predator with an apex price?

For Gen 6 Camaro, the 1LE is now a Sports Pack model without Supercharger and is available on SS (V8)
    and LT (V6) The ZL1 is the S/C 6.2 version and retails for US$63K that's ~AUS $85K as a LHD car so it's
    well over $100K converted..

If this was Walkinshaw / HSV, then I'd say they are going after GTS buyers but if this a Holden iniative
    and simply consigning Walkinshaw to do the conversions, I suspect it will be the a well appointed atmo
    2SS Camaro (US$44K / AUS$65K) and that's before we talk conversion...

I get the point about cost, if you're going to convert a sports coupe, do you make it an intermediate
    or go top of the line with S/c and plenty of performance and handling. I wonder how many sales GM
    needs to make this viable remembering the steep costs on low volumes and crash testing two vehicles.

I'd sooner be in Ford's position than Holden's..

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    Ian, i want to believe that Holden will basically start importing coupes to replace lost SS, Clubsport and GTS sales
    but given the added recitivness of Holden v8 buyers, can GM afford to take the risk by going for an Apex car
    with an apex price?

For Gen 6 Camaro, the 1LE is now a Sports Pack model without Supercharger and is available on SS (V8) and LT (V6)
    The ZL1 is the S/C 6.2 version and retails for US$63K that's ~AUS $85K as a LHD car so well over $100 converted..

If this was Walkinshaw / HSV, then I'd say they are going after GTS buyers but if this a Holden iniative
    and simply consigning Walkinshaw to do the conversions, I suspect it will be the 2SS Camaro (US$44K / AUS$65K)
    and that's before we talk conversion...
    Yep, that's my take.

SS Camaro @ $95K DA and possibly a Supercharged version at circa $130K
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (30th September 2017)

Oct motormag tuner mustang edition

Many buyers are willing to spend upwards of $100 k for blown Mustang. The Camaro option will be a variable alternative to those buyers if they get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

If I had a choice of buying a RHD or a LHD vehicle converted to a RHD, the factory RHD option will be my first choice.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Futura For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (1st October 2017),Randel (1st October 2017)

The exercise on the day has potently highlighted an issue with oil supply in the coyote engine when doing circuit racing. The sump is not winged or deep which is not ideal when pushing the engine hard on a track. It's not an issue for typical road use.

All cars represented, apart from two faired reasonably well but all seemed to have compromised the original intent of the car in one way of another. Basically each workshop had made their Mustang a much more focused vehicle where it did few one or a few things much better than the standard car, but at the expense of something else.

Sometimes the better the base vehicle, the harder it is improve on the overall package.

For me standout cars where the Tickford 360 and Mustang Motorsports effort. For me they seemed more complete and sorted as a package offering and I could see myself owning one as a daily.

The Herrod Mustang best represented what I imagine you would get if you sat there with your Ford dealer and optioned up your Mustang from the Ford Performance catalogue. I've noticed that some Ford Dealers are taking it upon themselves to do the same thing in-house. I'm unaware if there is any bespoke engineering on the Herrod car ( Compliance Pack) so I may be wrong here. I suspect there is a perceived benefit to having an experienced tuning house install these enhancement as apposed to your local dealer mechanics.

For me, personally I like knowing that the people looking after the car during its warranty life are the same people that modified it in the first place. I don't want to get caught in the middle if something should go pear shaped.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (1st October 2017)

Validated User
    Just curious, how many of the 13,000 Mustangs sold in Australia since Jan 2016 have been fitted
    with Superchargers?

Are people looking for a Factory fit S/C engine like the ZL1 Camaro and would they be willing to pay
    around $120K for it?

Is a S/C Coyote preferable to something like say, the high revving GT350?

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    Just curious, how many of the 13,000 Mustangs sold in Australia since Jan 2016 have been fitted
    with Superchargers?

Are people looking for a Factory fit S/C engine like the ZL1 Camaro and would they be willing to pay
    around $120K for it?

Is a S/C Coyote preferable to something like say, the high revving GT350?
    Good question.

I don't have those answers but what I can tell you is if the GT350 made it out here in right hand drive I would be buying one. I would also seriously look at a factory blown effort to but I would ideally like to see a twin turbo V8 on that front.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (1st October 2017)

My dealer said to me that almost every mustang sold the owners wanted to customize it in one form or another. So much so that they had to change their policies on modifying cars and embrace the notion of offering dealer backed, adr compliance packages to keep buyer engaged. This was not their position with Falcon.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (1st October 2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast