Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oct motormag tuner mustang edition

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    My dealer said to me that almost every mustang sold the owners wanted to customize it in one form or another. So much so that they had to change their policies on modifying cars and embrace the notion of offering dealer backed, adr compliance packages to keep buyer engaged. This was not their position with Falcon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The irony in that is it probably means a factory performance Stang is less likely to happen.

Especially if it wouldnt result in any incremental sales.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

On another note, I heard an Ecoboost Mustang today with a sports exhaust system.

Words cannot describe how shit it sounded.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

4Vman (2nd October 2017),Randel (2nd October 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    Ian, i want to believe that Holden will basically start importing coupes to replace lost SS, Clubsport
    and GTS sales but given the added recitivness of Holden v8 buyers, can GM afford to take the risk
    by going for an apex predator with an apex price?

For Gen 6 Camaro, the 1LE is now a Sports Pack model without Supercharger and is available on SS (V8)
    and LT (V6) The ZL1 is the S/C 6.2 version and retails for US$63K that's ~AUS $85K as a LHD car so it's
    well over $100K converted..

If this was Walkinshaw / HSV, then I'd say they are going after GTS buyers but if this a Holden iniative
    and simply consigning Walkinshaw to do the conversions, I suspect it will be the a well appointed atmo
    2SS Camaro (US$44K / AUS$65K) and that's before we talk conversion...

I get the point about cost, if you're going to convert a sports coupe, do you make it an intermediate
    or go top of the line with S/c and plenty of performance and handling. I wonder how many sales GM
    needs to make this viable remembering the steep costs on low volumes and crash testing two vehicles.

I'd sooner be in Ford's position than Holden's..
    For the reasons you have stated, it wonít happen.

Forget aiming at an entry level price point. Itís not possible until a factory option is available and that is coming.

Walkingshaw is only doing high end models. Technically camaro will be available but itís GTS money not SS. Itís a high spec car, all supercharged is the word out of Clayton.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (2nd October 2017)

The two biggest issues I have come from the failures and reactions.

KPM suffered a cooler failure which resulted in engine done and Harrop basically seized an engine and blamed the stock oil pan.

Harrop also have issues with their tune.

The response on the engine failure was suspected the stock pan design wasnt up to track work, yet no other car had this failure driven the same way. I will be interested if any other option addressed the sump in any form because it smacks a little of learning on the run which brings me to the statement on the tune.

Sitting aside this article, word previously filtering through is the Harrop tune is basically shit.

Fast forward to this review and motor have found the same drivablity issues.

The fix is relying on customer feedback, and that’s something I have a big issue with.

Testing on the run, not having your own brand identity or confidence to say this is the package, reveals a lack of depth to me.

It’s a simple enough fix. I am not sure why some of these guys aren’t using ford engineers as consultants, either off the book or on it.

That’s what I would do because otherwise you are left with a really narrow opinion field on which to base your product.

It’s only times like this review where you get a more balanced appraisal from the industry via the press and that’s a bit late.

On that point, Tickford might be justified in being a bit confused as DM’s feedback differed slightly from Sn’s previous thoughts.

My take is they are both right.

The Tickford 360 suffered in comparison due to it being a softer focus, street drive car.

The good part about this is, and if you have read the dedicated Tickford article you will know, it’s all about not putting the car in a position that’s going to be an issue for owners.

That means conservative and also expensive, because the proving ground isn’t cheep.

Motor didn’t really cover compliance other than to say it’s buyer beware. They are all doing something different with Herrod recently promoting his compliance plate as a manufacturer - enhanced product.

Passing adr and pushing further are two separate things that people need to understand.

One is a legal requirement, one is a durability issue.

Don’t get fooled into thinking otherwise.

On the street the Tickford suspension was thought to be better suited to the track and yet on the track it wasn’t race focused enough compared to the opposition.

Having driven the 360 briefly, it was too short of an experience to really tell, but the difference I think will come down to the fact the most common fix is more spring and that will account for initial compliance you feel everyday. As it’s a compromise it comes down to personal taste so what I like or accept might be different and personally I think we are seeing that with this car.

The claim is mustang is very sensitive to small changes.

I was impressed with luffs comments on this test.

I was impressed Tickford did so well given the newness to this game.

I wasn’t impressed by the words out of Harrops mouth. Not what I am looking for as a customer despite a strong preference for their equipment. I believe hardware wise it’s technically superior to even that offered under Ford Performance.

That Mustang Motorsport won, isn’t really a surprise. The guys involved with mustang the longest, winning. A real shocker, not.

A very good performance is Herrod. For the same T360 money you can get a supercharged herrod Ford Performance package both being 85k.

For me, this is the money shot.

At 112k for the winner, it’s a difference one would need to appreciate.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (2nd October 2017),WASP (2nd October 2017)

From Motor:

Leading HSV dealers have confided to MOTOR the model to be offered will be a locally adapted version of the mid-range Camaro 2SS to keep the recommended retail price (before on-roads) under $90,000.
    In fact, some sources have indicated that HSV is aiming for an RRP closer to $80K for what is expected to be a one-model offering. While at least a third more expensive than the most popular Mustang GT, in 2SS guise it would be almost half the cost of top-spec previous-gen Zeta-based private import conversions.
    2SS:

6.2L LT1 V8 ENGINE
    The star of the Chevrolet performance lineup, the 6.2L LT1 V8 with the capability of 455 horsepower and 455 lb.-ft. of torque, will accelerate the 8-speed automatic Camaro SS from 0 to 60 in 4.0 seconds flat. With Direct Injection, Variable Valve Timing and, on the 8-speed automatic, Active Fuel ManagementTM, it offers efficiency when you want it, power when you need it.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (2nd October 2017)

Now motor mag are talking about the camaro conversion.

I believe their information is about right.

I was told GTS level money which today stretches to 115k. Motor are reporting under 90 thanks to the removal of low input restrictions and GM assistance. Also saying based on the 2SS which is more mid spec.

Either way it leaves Ford with a free kick in the entry level but creates competition in the aftermarket enhancement side will providing what appears to be genuine Factory backing.

Interesting and good for our market. We need competition

Validated User
    Interesting move if true, especially given the upgraded specs of the '18 Mustang (when it finally arrives here)
    The 2SS is a nice mix of Equipment and trim, approximates '16 Mustang GT Premium with track pack
    but also has Magnetic Ride Suspension ... something the '18 Mustang is getting.

$90K before onroads is still a $100K DA

A lot of money when you can get equivalent levels of appointment and performance from GT Mustang for $68K DA (Est MY18 pricing for a GT Coupe).

Which ever way you look at it $30K conversion costs bite you.

The second issue will be when Holden bring it in as a full time RHD model and your car drops 30k in value over night too.

An important consideration for early adopters...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (2nd October 2017)

Validated User
    This will test allegiances, pay ~$20K more for a Camaro or switch camps and buy the Mustang..

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    This will test allegiances, pay ~$20K more for a Camaro or switch camps and buy the Mustang..
    Even more-so seeing people see Mustang as a brand of its own and not necessarily a Ford.

So the leap isnt as hard to take.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Randel (2nd October 2017)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast