Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F1 FTA Coverage slashed.

It is the almighty dollar overall imo and FTA station owners are suffering due to cable network/s paying OTT for sport codes that at the same time those sport codes sure won't say no to the money injection.
    Its a vicious circle sadly today in the pro sports world.
    If I didn't have Fox I'd be pretty much as HSE2 but worse, hardly would watch anything due to kid and family commitments unless I get online which I don't bother one bit to date.
    Optus having paid a motza screwed up my EPL viewing from last season that now I can only enjoy 1 game on Sat nights thanks to SBS but at least I have other leagues to watch on Fox.
    I don't like paying but such is life I couldn't live with just FTA.
    Have to say as Pax posted, the Fox F1 coverage is near on complete - the coverage pre and post is full of content.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

Randel (2nd October 2017),TS50 (2nd October 2017)

There's a massive imbalance at the moment in Australia with Sports TV rights.

As much as i love AFL as a game the AFL as an organisation (along with the NRL) have basically monopolized the available funds for FTA.

THE AFL will reap a major financial windfall after striking a colossal new six-year, $2.508 billion broadcast rights agreement.

The new deal will see Channel Seven, Foxtel and Telstra continue as the League's broadcasters under the new deal, which will run from 2017 to 2022.

The current deal expires at the end of the 2016 season.

The existing deal was effectively worth $250 million a year; the new deal is 67 per cent bigger at $418 million a year.
    Now how much of that money goes to the clubs?

About 250 million a year, that leaves $170 million a year for the AFL to operate from.

NRL TV rights 1.8 Billion.

AFL Players paid an av wage of $300k

THE AFL's average player salary exceeded $300,000 for the first time last season as total player payments across the competition reached a record $200.2 million.

That's an average salary cap of 11 million per club.

Now good on them, i'm all for free markets and natural forces where demand meets supply, but its not hard to see why Ch7, Foxtel and Telstra need to recoup their money....
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (2nd October 2017)

That's what happens when you don't pay your bills, the service provider cuts your access. According to F1, Channel 10 owed them 20 Million in rights fees.
    "I'm a pretty proud driver of the Ford Falcon." - Mark Winterbottom.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DoctorCleveland For This Useful Post:

4Vman (2nd October 2017),FTe217 (2nd October 2017),Randel (2nd October 2017)

Like I've said in the past - ALF really fecks it up for the many other sports in the country.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

Randel (2nd October 2017)

For me it's the costs factor, the money required for a decent speed unlimited internet is to expensive n then add foxtel on top of that n it's just ridiculous. Along with all the daily, weekly n monthly living expenses it just makes foxtel out of reach. It's great that you can watch any program when it's most convenient for the individual n family but I wonder what's the family daily average of cost on just internet alone.
    I think even if I had the money I wouldn't spend it on foxtel, there are so many other things that require my attention I just can't justify it.
    Tv stations, foxtel, internet have ruined what we all had growning up, free live telecast of most major sports events. I feel that the bread n butter that major events/championship rely on are those that can't really afford the extra expense of all these services.
    It sounds like supercars are always chasing money n I agree that teams n drivers deserve to get paid for what they do but could supercars n say that all money obtained in the rights deals gets spent in the right areas n aren't just being wasteful. It's clear teams don't restrict the expenditure on development n I can only see that going through the roof with the new rule changes.
    So I guess I'll find something else to do on weekends instead of watching car racing of any sort. Footy n cricket, maybe tennis n golf is all that is left but for how long?
    On a lighter note, supercars are coming to tailem bend so it's just down the road. 2 races in SA how lucky are we, I guess it'd be a success if anyone remembers what supercar racing is by next yr.
    I'd just like these companies to show some consideration for those people who don't have high paying jobs. Highlights package is a joke, I find it insulting (why, I don't know), surely delayed telecast would be of benefit to the sports, we don't need all the bells n whistle just the racing n a wrap up of any incidents will do. Basic at best

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andrewforbes For This Useful Post:

4Vman (3rd October 2017),FTe217 (3rd October 2017),Randel (3rd October 2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12