Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Around Australia in 14 days.

Id take by eldest daughter because she enjoys these types of trips. I would also prefer to go with a group of friends a it just makes everything more fun as well as safer.
    Car wise, I want to say I would take a Range Rover Sport, but fear it wont be the best choice for reliability or maintenance should it need any. The Everest Titantum would be up there, I guess, but I would be also drawn to using a new factory stock Mustang! Those cars are great grand tourers and would be bucket of fun. While I would not take my XR6 Turbo, I would certainly consider driving a G6E Turbo also.

Ok decsion time for 14 day road trip.... New GT Mustang wins..
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

A trip like this can be done in a ten year old Elantra. Depending on the route you chose. If you followed the coast west to Sadalaide then Perth, then round the top of WA to Kathrine, then over to the junction of The Carpenteria Hwy to Heartbreak and down the Beef Rd to the Barkly, then east to Isa, then the east Coast and down from there.
    It is good bitumen road all the way.
    BAII RTV A Farmers Rocket.

14 days would require several drivers or you will end up seeing pink elephants.
    The whole of Australia is not like the cities or even the east coast.
    You really can't do more than about 1000km per day except in NT and doing it day after day if you are not used to it will wipe you out in less than a week.
    You need to plan fuel if you are in a PULP or LPG vehicle and driving before and hour after sunrise or after an hour before sunset can get very interesting in the middle.
    Also remember you will be travelling through several states where the rules may be different to what you are used to.
    QLD, beware the big truck and grey nomad as well as distance and HP.
    NSW, beware the bogan and westie as well as even more HP.
    Vic, you will glow in the dark with radiation poisoning assuming you are not carjacked.
    SA, bored, are we there yet and stop following me so closely.
    WA, faaark it is a long way and why don't they have blinkers?
    NT, yay 140 is fun but where is the next fuel.

For me, I would just take my Sprint. I drove it to Ayres Rock and back last year (8500km in 9 days of travel) and it was pretty good although I was pretty stuffed by the time I got home.
    A velocitatem terram

Google-Fu, the ancient snowflake art of knowing little, understanding less but believing anything they find on Google as the word of God.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flappist For This Useful Post:

13726548 (20th October 2017),Perko (19th October 2017)

Didn't realise you covered that much distance in such a short time Tony ?

Been searching for the thread you made on the road trip unless I imagined it ??

Quote Originally Posted by 13726548 View Post
    Didn't realise you covered that much distance in such a short time Tony ?

Been searching for the thread you made on the road trip unless I imagined it ??
    The whole trip was in the June School hols 14 days which included 3 days at Ayers Rock and 2 at Alice so the other 9 were travel.
    6 days out, 3 days back as there was a lot of touristing on the outbound trip.

Remember half of it was in NT before the (//) was shut down and you can cover a long way in a day at 170km/h (//) and 150km/h (130 zone) e.g. Alice to Mt Isa in a day without driving during the hoppy time.

It is interesting to note that on this sector there were 4 radars.
    1) Camooweal just past the border, speed camera in white ute
    2) Just east of Camooweal in the 110 zone, bright green HP batmobile
    3) About another 90km towards Mt Isa, silver HP batmobile
    4) In the 80 zone near the slush at Mt Isa, static lidar site.

It is about 1200km, the last 160 odd, all in QLD, was where the radar was situated.

It is all about road safety.......
    A velocitatem terram

Google-Fu, the ancient snowflake art of knowing little, understanding less but believing anything they find on Google as the word of God.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to flappist For This Useful Post:

13726548 (21st October 2017)

Copy that bro

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123