Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUSPENSION TORTURE TEST WILL MAKE YOU THINK BEFORE CARELESSLY MODDING

SUSPENSION TORTURE TEST WILL MAKE YOU THINK BEFORE CARELESSLY MODDING

https://drivetribe.com/p/suspension-...source=organic

Original Equipment Manufacturer. Three good words to live by when you’re taking care of your car. Choosing OEM parts mean the replacement parts will live up to the design specifications of the designers and engineers that created the car (barring significant recalls and known defects). And those people have gone through A LOT of rigor to ensure all components of the car comes together and performs well. For instance, take a look at this video of a front suspension test rig.

The rig was used to torture the front suspension of an E39 BMW M5. Judging from the noises, squeals, and massive tire deformation, the test rig was putting the M5 through some serious acceleration and deceleration tests, while being loaded in all sorts of ways. This relatively compact rig allows the engineers to abuse the front suspension design before a prototype hits the streets. Chances are these tests would be run for several hundreds of hours, so they can pick up on any flaws and signs of wear.

So when you’re thinking about modding your suspension with some cheap springs or coilovers, you should wonder whether they’ve put those components to the test. And if you want to slam your car to the ground, you better know what you’re giving up.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

ChrisandSharon (7th December 2017),FTe217 (18th October 2017),Road_Warrior (18th October 2017)

Honestly though what is considered cheap springs and coilovers?
    Do we think that after market suspension shops dont test what they sell?

Not knocking the effort OEM go to here but why do we think aftermarket dont do similar things to test their products?

Quote Originally Posted by GTF449 View Post

Not knocking the effort OEM go to here but why do we think aftermarket dont do similar things to test their products?
    I bet they don't go to OEM lengths A) because they cant afford to do it and B) don't have access to this kind of expensive bespoke equipment.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Quote Originally Posted by GTF449 View Post

It'll depend on the aftermarket manufacturer. Best to stick with mobs that supply oem companies. As they are going to do the oem testing requirements.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VZTRT For This Useful Post:

4Vman (18th October 2017),FTe217 (18th October 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by VZTRT View Post
    It'll depend on the aftermarket manufacturer. Best to stick with mobs that supply oem companies. As they are going to do the oem testing requirements.
    Yes but not quite, they supply to a specification provided to them by the OEM's.

The OEM's do the testing and certification.

But they'd have a far greater knowledge of what's required to pass OEM validation then other non OE suppliers yes.

yep VZTRT, you can't tar them all with the same brush as our mate normally does.
    Anyway works both ways imo - OEM suspension testing lol, will I start on how many OE front end components (then I'll start on the rear) never lasted the distance under our Falcons from way way back up until BA ? and then bring up the countless external components ? oh hang on never happens lol......seriously close the thread its moot.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

b2tf (20th October 2017)

The aftermarket does have some credible players. It allows customers to tailor their car to suit them.

OEM on the other hand have to build the car to suit a much broader audience.

I think there is a middle ground. I have bought many oem parts for my car because I know they work. I've also bought non genuine parts because the oem parts were stupidly priced for no perceived advantage. It's not one size fits all. It's up to the individual and what they want from their car.

Perhaps we could list all the oem parts that fail on a regular basis?

Great video isn't it.
    Suspension is so important that people neglect most times unless something is obviously failed/broken and yet they couldn't tell the difference lol......
    Point.
    A aftermarket company is not designing a new motor car - that has already been done.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

flappist (22nd October 2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast