Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for small SUV

Recommendations for small SUV

My folks are after a new car. They are mid to late 60's and currently have a 05 ba2 fairmont, which is getting a bit long in the tooth, and also a bit of an issue with them getting in and out. Mum does the bulk of the driving (Dad drives a semi, so is more than happy to not drive when he's not working) and its just the 2 of them. Something a bit higher off the ground is the way to go so they can just step in and out, rather than sit on the ground.

Criteria

Must be auto
    Must be cheap to run (their current fairmont runs svi lpg system, so is pretty cheap)
    Must be reliable
    Budget of $20k tops drive away, but better closer to $15k.

Even as a ford fan, i've steered them clear of ecosport and kuga, due to the powershift gearbox.

I've also steered them clear of diesel due to DPF burn off criteria, although depending on manufacturer some may be ok. Most recommend 20min continuous driving at 80km/h + at least once a week for the dpf regen to occur. They live semi rural (greenbank for those in qld) so would come close to meeting this requirement but probably not every week.

suggestions so far is mazda cx-5, honda cr-v, nissan x-trail, rav 4 (although not a fan of the open out rear door instead of tailgate) etc etc, you get the picture.

i have little to no idea about any of these cars so hopefully people can give some feedback as to a good solid reliable car for the folks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to prydey For This Useful Post:

13726548 (30th October 2017)

Nissan Dualis. Great car and you'll get one in that price range.

A friend has one with over 350,000 ks on it and never had a day of trouble.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

prydey (29th October 2017)

cool.

i must say. car shopping is so much easier when you have a specific model in mind.

i think they've looked at a couple of xtrails. is the dualis bigger or smaller? nissan have a juke and a qashqai as well. are some of these the same car with a name change?

i put this topic on the 'other' forum also to maximise feedback and getting some love for mitsi asx.

my old man gets scared off mitsi due to old smokey magna's about 30 years ago. same with his thoughts on hyundai and kia. very hard to change old people's opinions....

Dualis is Qashqui before name change.

Mid sized, CX5 size.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

prydey (29th October 2017)

Hyunda ix35.

CRV, may not be great looking BUT reliable motoring at their ages.
    I do like the Qashqui look but the quality I'm always wary of re Nissan and Mitsu.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Nissan Dualis. Great car and you'll get one in that price range.

A friend has one with over 350,000 ks on it and never had a day of trouble.
    I had one as a rental, most uncomfortable seats i ever sat in, headlights worse than a 1960 Falcon, maybe i got a bad one, but I would never drive one again
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

Well, I was going to say later models of Kuga/Escape. Every one I have been in has been super impressive. Admittedly, all of them where Titaniums and new models. The EcoSport is good, but too basic IMO. In 2018 there will be a new one that is said to be much better.

If those are out due to auto concerns the next most impressive one I have seen is the Mazda x3. https://www.mazda.com.au/cars/cx-3/
    https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...15239507/?Cr=6

P.S I do not beleive the PowrShift auto issues extend to the KUGA/Escape
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

Subaru xv.

Honestly ours is the best car I've ever owned. Not at all powerful but frugal and comfy to drive, one of the better looking SUVs too I reckon.
    Only expensive service item we've had so far is replacing the battery, rrp is roughly $500 but you can get same spec batteries for half that.

We've serviced ours on time and put petrol in it and that's all the money we've had to spend on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

Mazda. Well priced. Put together properly. Nothing fancy with the mechanicals.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to VZTRT For This Useful Post:

Elks (20th November 2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast