Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for small SUV

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    Well, I was going to say later models of Kuga/Escape. Every one I have been in has been super impressive. Admittedly, all of them where Titaniums and new models. The EcoSport is good, but too basic IMO. In 2018 there will be a new one that is said to be much better.

If those are out due to auto concerns the next most impressive one I have seen is the Mazda x3. https://www.mazda.com.au/cars/cx-3/
    https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...15239507/?Cr=6

P.S I do not beleive the PowrShift auto issues extend to the KUGA/Escape
    Yes I recently learned the kuga didn't get the powershift, and comparing this class of car, maybe I'm just biased but the Ford looks so much nicer, esp inside.
    The downside is, its quite thirsty although the ecoboost engine has good power and torque for its size.

I like Mazda cx-3 or 5.

Chatting with the dealer this morning and they sell all brands and he also recommended the Hyundai ix35. They are butt ugly though. Thing is you can get them or Mitsubishi outlander etc still with remaining factory warranty.

I told my mum just to start driving a few. Even coming from a tired Fairmont on svi gas, I think she'll be surprised at how gutless some of these small cars are. Maybe not gutless but no match for the lazy torque of the falcon.

Thanks for all suggestions so far.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to prydey For This Useful Post:

WASP (30th October 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    My folks are after a new car. They are mid to late 60's and currently have a 05 ba2 fairmont, which is getting a bit long in the tooth, and also a bit of an issue with them getting in and out. Mum does the bulk of the driving (Dad drives a semi, so is more than happy to not drive when he's not working) and its just the 2 of them. Something a bit higher off the ground is the way to go so they can just step in and out, rather than sit on the ground.

Criteria

Must be auto
    Must be cheap to run (their current fairmont runs svi lpg system, so is pretty cheap)
    Must be reliable
    Budget of $20k tops drive away, but better closer to $15k.

Even as a ford fan, i've steered them clear of ecosport and kuga, due to the powershift gearbox.

I've also steered them clear of diesel due to DPF burn off criteria, although depending on manufacturer some may be ok. Most recommend 20min continuous driving at 80km/h + at least once a week for the dpf regen to occur. They live semi rural (greenbank for those in qld) so would come close to meeting this requirement but probably not every week.
    I'm 30 min's down the rd.. Keen on the Fairmont and happy to assist your parents in their new purchase

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 13726548 For This Useful Post:

Randel (30th October 2017)

Rob, I see Ma and Pa are still looking.
    Don't blame them, its a melting pot tbh.
    I'm about to do the same for the Mrs's.
    She likes CX3, size suits for she's only got the last one of our 3 to run around the 13yr old daughter.
    As much as I agree its a good choice I'm just not sure as yet.
    I thought that new Hyundai Kona would have been up her alley for she normally likes the quirky unpopular vehicles hence the Jeep Patriot to date so I showed it to her and she said - I don't like Hyundais ! so that killed that lol......
    So then she said she liked that new Toyota CHR Koba, note the quirkiness and tbh I don't mind the look - but I'm not going to pay $40k for a 1.2l T no way !
    So for now the CX3 is in the running.
    I have been offered a very low k Bimmer X1 from a source I know but........like your parents, no rush, I don't need to get her into one till after Jan.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    Rob, I see Ma and Pa are still looking.
    yes, that's where i get my procrastination skills from

7. The Following User Says Thank You to prydey For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (21st November 2017)

yes, still looking... well, when i say still looking, i'm not sure there has been too much looking. they just haven't bought anything yet. i'll be up there in 4 weeks and chances are the fairmont will still be there...

the old man (like most old people) is quite stubborn, and so if he doesn't like something then that is the end of the matter... almost. he's not a fan of mitsi (largely based on smokey magna's from the 80's/90's) and he must have heard some negative reports about cvt gearboxes so they are on the outer as well.

for those that don't frequent the 'other' forum, the shortlist is kind of down to a couple of nissans (qashqai, xtrail) hyundai tucson, mazda cx5 and ford kuga(at my insistence!)

i did a bit of a spreadsheet on power, torque and economy and to be honest, there is not much difference between any of them. for no other reason than peace of mind, the hyundai is probably in front for the reason it has the most amount of factory warranty remaining, at the budget they are shopping to. the last kuga (TF2) gets the latest 1.5L ecoboost, which seems like a decent motor with a pretty wide band of torque and there is a couple of near new examples on carsales that would still have factory warranty.

anyways, there's only so much recommending you can do and its largely academic. they just need to get out there and start driving some. doesn't matter how good some cars might appear on paper, if you don't like driving them it means nothing.

haha, nothing wrong with dotting the i's crossing the t's mate.
    I do the same tbh Most times depending on circumstances..

Your short list is pretty good but not for our cup of tea.
    I just can't end up with a nissan/mitsu/kuga and I don't blame her saying no to Hyundai's.
    Mazda/Hondas and other variants will come into play by the time were ready.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

Validated User
    Have a look at some of the feedback on the Hyundai Tucson.

Its not good.

One of my friends just got one and had a major gearbox failure with 1,300 kms on the odo. The car is stuck 1,000 kms away pulled apart waiting for parts (as she took it to Sydney for its first trip). Who knows what will happen with it as Hyundai have been terrible to deal with to date.

The Mazda CX3 is based on Mazda 2 so for me its too small. I would buy a Kuga or Escape, best bang for buck if you ask me.
    2017 FORD PXII WILDTRAK 4X4
    2016 FORD FGX XR6 SPRINT LE TURBO 325
    2016 FORD LZ FOCUS SPORT
    2017 SEADOO RXT300RS JETSKI

The wife wouldn't care that ofcourse the CX3 is from the 2 platform, its high ride and only her and the 13yr old would be in it 99% of the time, for her its perfect sizing.
    I couldn't go near either of the Ford products you quote and she more so than me.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

13726548 (2nd December 2017)

Made a decision yet Maurie ?

Nah mate, no time shopping for the wife's update to date.
    Will start through Jan sometime I guess.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast