Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washing black cars

Washing black cars

G’day fellow Falcon men. I’m back after a while but I bring back pics of my F6 and more tips on washing black cars - the most beautiful colour when looked after, the most shyte colour though if you don’t look after it or don’t know how to look after it.

I did video myself washing the car today but let’s just say it didn’t turn out - maybe next time! I was cursing as it was a volume issue and ended up 16 minutes wasted - ah well.

Anyway washing black.......

All the experts will tell you the two bucket method is how you are supposed to wash your car - bugger that - our black beauties deserve better.

Get a large bucket - the 20 litre suckers. Fill the bucket up with very warm water and your choice of shampoo. Personally I don’t stuff around with shampoo - I use meguires/mothers and use a lot of it in the bucket. My solutions end up rediculously sudsy, the more slippery the easier it is on your paint.

Now add your microfibres. I use the blue ‘20 pack’ ones from super cheap. I have about 500 of the bastards! Anyway I’ll add about 15 microfibres to the bucket - shove em in and stir.........mix em into that beautiful solution of shampoo and let the towels soak up all that goodness.

After you have hosed/pressure washed the vehicle you’re ready. Grab a microfibre and start washing the roof and work down. I’m not going to go into details as I’m sure you get the idea. Instead of rinsing the towel in clean water then going back to the shampoo as you would the two bucket method, you don’t - just throw the microfibre into another big bucket of fresh water and grab a new microfibre towel from your shampoo bucket - it’s all lubed up with beautiful shampoo after soaking away ready to hit your paint.

I prefer this way for 2 main reasons.

1 - better utilisation of expensive shampoos
    2 - zero chance of contamination - zero

Yes you use a lot of towels but boy oh boy does it work. The blue microfibres from super cheap are brilliant. When they’re on sale you can buy the pack for next to nothing. If I owned a 718 cayman GT4 I’d fill the bucket with 20 ‘drop bears’ from Bowdens though lol. Serious though the blue ones are perfect for this application.

As always I go over the entire vehicle with lazywax once finished - I just keep rubbing the stuff in! Very therapeutic I find.

Anyway a few pics from today. I put a set of Michelin 4S on the back last Friday and she’s going in tomorrow to get a few gutter rash marks fixed up - will be back to new!

IMG_7931.JPGIMG_7930.JPGIMG_7937.JPGIMG_7917.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChrisandSharon For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (13th November 2017),HSE2 (14th November 2017),Jim (13th November 2017)

Shame the pics are small and blurry but no matter.
    Thats a good tip on having many clean cloths in the soapy tub, I've used the largest chlorine tub for yonks, perfect imo as well.
    Plenty over soapy water.
    So I guess your using a clean micro fibre after each section washed down, I have plenty of cloths as well, I'll start doing that for I agree, as much as 2bucket does make sense just 1 use each cloth a section works for me.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Yeah it’s strange the pics FTe217 - They’re clear as anything on the phone and have turned out perfect on other sites.

Yeah I use a clean microfibre every time. Even if I use 20, I know each one is clean and has been soaking in the solution, and those microfibres soak up the shampoo beautifully. You’ll never get the same result with the 2 bucket method, and still have a chance of contamination and you’ll never get the amount of shampoo on the sponge as opposed to soaking the microfibres in the shampoo.

Also too, the price of quality shampoos is so expensive now. I usually buy when the sales are on but even still, you want to get the most out of the product and soaking the towels in the solution is bang for buck.

Cheers

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisandSharon For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (13th November 2017)

Just Arrived
    Great idea ... have always used the two bucket method but will give this a go
    I get my MF cloths from Costco very cheap also
    FG F6 sedan winter white
    XR6 Sprint winter white
    GTF Octane manual

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim For This Useful Post:

ChrisandSharon (14th November 2017)

i don't have a black car, but it is a dark colour and this sounds like a pretty good method and surprisingly one i've never heard of before. will have to have a look for these cloths you speak of next time i go shopping. i rarely venture in to supercheap, but looks like i have to.

i assume all the cloths get cleaned up at the end, and not just thrown out completely? do you wash them in the washing machine or just rinse them in a bucket of water?

thanks for the tips.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prydey For This Useful Post:

ChrisandSharon (14th November 2017),HSE2 (15th November 2017)

omg, you rarely venture into a SCA store - the bunnings of automotive lol......
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

Paxton (14th November 2017),prydey (14th November 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    omg, you rarely venture into a SCA store - the bunnings of automotive lol......
    oh, they still sell some automotive stuff do they?

i won't mention where i shop Maurie but you have a nice little saying that says Rip Every Poor C Off..... I just shop there on the days RAA (NRMA) do the 30% discounts so works out pretty good.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prydey For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (14th November 2017),Paxton (14th November 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    oh, they still sell some automotive stuff do they?

i won't mention where i shop Maurie but you have a nice little saying that says Rip Every Poor C Off..... I just shop there on the days RAA (NRMA) do the 30% discounts so works out pretty good.
    Only reason why I shop there too. The local branch of theirs near me is woeful, but Meguiars and Autoglym on 30% off is a good deal.
    I'm in love with my car. Got a feel for my automobile.

haha, retail wise they kick the crowd you frequent, besides, they are Australian owned whereas that crowd you frequent are not fyi.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    i don't have a black car, but it is a dark colour and this sounds like a pretty good method and surprisingly one i've never heard of before. will have to have a look for these cloths you speak of next time i go shopping. i rarely venture in to supercheap, but looks like i have to.

i assume all the cloths get cleaned up at the end, and not just thrown out completely? do you wash them in the washing machine or just rinse them in a bucket of water?

thanks for the tips.
    No - definitely donít throw them out lol!!!!

As I use them Iíll throw them into another bucket of water. Once Iíve finished washing Iíll rinse out my shampoo bucket and fill it with water too. Iíll rinse the microfibres between the two buckets of water and will probably end up going through a few buckets of water till theyíre done. Good thing is now youíll have a heap of clean damp microfibres to do windows and all those fiddly bits. Once all done Iíll throw the lot in the wash for next time.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisandSharon For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (15th November 2017),prydey (14th November 2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast