Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Another Mustang 18 dyno run

Validated User
    And considering drive by noise limits killed a certain Supercharger option.....

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    And considering drive by noise limits killed a certain Supercharger option.....
    Yes a good point. I would say in sports and track mode the My18 will exceed those limits as well.
    I wonder if Ford Aus will be forced to disable the ability for the exhaust to be changed to these modes?
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

4Vman (3rd January 2018)

Validated User
    Or just reuse the 2017 Exhaust...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-quarter-mile/

Last summer, Ford made a big deal about the fact that the updated-for-2018 Mustang GT can hit 60 mph in under four seconds, but the automaker never revealed its quarter-mile time. The folks at Hot Rod just ran a 2018 Mustang GT at a Florida drag strip, so now we know exactly what the upgraded pony can do.

The Hot Rod gang clocked a time of 11.83 seconds at 119.51 mph. That was the best time of the day, but the guys report that the Mustang GT consistently posted high-11s with ease. The test vehicle was a brand-new, bone-stock Mustang GT equipped with the optional 10-speed automatic transmission and the Performance Package, which brings 460 horses, 420 lb-ft of torque and sticky Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires. That's an improvement of 25 horses and 20 lb-ft over last year's model.

This test was performed on a prepared surface and with optimized tire pressures—26 psi for the rears and 45 psi for the front. None of that is trickery. Theoretically anyone can buy a new Mustang GT, head straight for a drag strip, play around with tire pressures, and match Hot Rod's results.

The Mustang offers launch control, which holds the vehicle at an RPM of the driver's choice. Hot Rod found that a 2000 RPM launch after a quick tire-warming burnout produced the best results.

Let's put that 11.83-second run into context. The last Mustang GT we got test numbers on, a manual-transmission 2016 Performance Package making 435 hp, ran a 13.2-second quarter-mile. This is the first year for the new 10-speed automatic, and the first time the Performance Package can be ordered with the auto; our colleagues at Car and Driver managed a 13.0-second quarter-mile in a non-Performance Mustang GT with the old six-speed auto back in 2015.

And how does the new 10-speed auto compare with the manual? Car and Driver recently did instrumented testing on a manual-transmission 2018 Mustang GT Performance Package and saw a best quarter-mile result of 12.6 seconds at 115 mph.

So, the facelifted 2018 Mustang GT is significantly quicker than its predecessor, and if you want to dominate at the drag strip, you'll need the auto. Now just imagine what the rumored 2019 GT500 will do.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-quarter-mile/

Last summer, Ford made a big deal about the fact that the updated-for-2018 Mustang GT can hit 60 mph in under four seconds, but the automaker never revealed its quarter-mile time. The folks at Hot Rod just ran a 2018 Mustang GT at a Florida drag strip, so now we know exactly what the upgraded pony can do.

The Hot Rod gang clocked a time of 11.83 seconds at 119.51 mph. That was the best time of the day, but the guys report that the Mustang GT consistently posted high-11s with ease. The test vehicle was a brand-new, bone-stock Mustang GT equipped with the optional 10-speed automatic transmission and the Performance Package, which brings 460 horses, 420 lb-ft of torque and sticky Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires. That's an improvement of 25 horses and 20 lb-ft over last year's model.

This test was performed on a prepared surface and with optimized tire pressures—26 psi for the rears and 45 psi for the front. None of that is trickery. Theoretically anyone can buy a new Mustang GT, head straight for a drag strip, play around with tire pressures, and match Hot Rod's results.

The Mustang offers launch control, which holds the vehicle at an RPM of the driver's choice. Hot Rod found that a 2000 RPM launch after a quick tire-warming burnout produced the best results.

Let's put that 11.83-second run into context. The last Mustang GT we got test numbers on, a manual-transmission 2016 Performance Package making 435 hp, ran a 13.2-second quarter-mile. This is the first year for the new 10-speed automatic, and the first time the Performance Package can be ordered with the auto; our colleagues at Car and Driver managed a 13.0-second quarter-mile in a non-Performance Mustang GT with the old six-speed auto back in 2015.

And how does the new 10-speed auto compare with the manual? Car and Driver recently did instrumented testing on a manual-transmission 2018 Mustang GT Performance Package and saw a best quarter-mile result of 12.6 seconds at 115 mph.

So, the facelifted 2018 Mustang GT is significantly quicker than its predecessor, and if you want to dominate at the drag strip, you'll need the auto. Now just imagine what the rumored 2019 GT500 will do.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

So far weve seen Auto V Manual:

400m

119mph v 115mph

11.8 sec v 12.6 sec

This 10 speed auto is liberating significant extra HP and Performance.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (7th January 2018)

Which you would hope would be the case with a brand new transmission. Loss is something one would expect to be improved as would shift quality and speed.

Would this be enough to sway buyers though?
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Quote Originally Posted by HSE2 View Post
    Which you would hope would be the case with a brand new transmission. Loss is something one would expect to be improved as would shift quality and speed.

Would this be enough to sway buyers though?
    I think it will sway those on the fence regarding trans type or wanting outright standing start performance.

What will be interesting is rolling performance and 80-120 beteeen them.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    I think it will sway those on the fence regarding trans type or wanting outright standing start performance.

What will be interesting is rolling performance and 80-120 beteeen them.
    With the last of the Miami GT's or even the Sprints, the auto was known as a prefered option for outright speed and use. In reality (sales) do we know what tranmission sold more? The manual appears to be the most sort after from my perception.

With the benefit of time I certainly appreciate my own manual GT now. Soon after I initally bought it I was cursing my decision to get the manual but I was using it every day back then.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

Colville, Adelaide traffic lol, yes I know different when your living there.
    For a daily logical choice would be auto but not daily, manual for sheer driving pleasure full stop.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

WASP (11th January 2018)

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast