Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holden culls more than 70 dealerships in anticipation of customer backlash.

Holden culls more than 70 dealerships in anticipation of customer backlash.

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/17...tomer-backlash

More at link:

Holden culls Adelaide dealerships to deal with ‘customer backlash’
    By Barry ParkDec 18, 2017News

Holden culls Adelaide dealerships to deal with customer backlash
    HOLDEN has revealed it is closing several Adelaide dealerships in response to what it expects to be a big buyer backlash – a direct response to its decision to quit Australian manufacturing.

The car maker earlier this year announced it would not renew dealership agreements at about 70 sites throughout Australia as it reduces its dealer network to a more manageable 200 – about the same as market leader Toyota.

The fears of a customer backlash – the first time such concerns have been publicly aired by Holden – are revealed in court documents relating to the closure of one of Australia’s most successful dealerships, Metro Holden in Adelaide.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

To be fair it sounds like they were over sized anyway if they are matching Toyota after the cut. Seems like a bit of a beat up to me.

Validated User
    You know what?
    I recon the new Commodore's sales forecast has fallen in a heap
    due to negative feedback from a lot of Holden's repeat buyers.

I think Holden just felt the branch crack beneath them
    and it's not gonna get any better and they know it.

Holden's epitaph should read,
    They had a steady high value customer base that was happy
    buying RWD Local products at surprisingly strong prices
    and they pissed up against the wall to save money.....

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (19th December 2017),imike1 (19th December 2017),Perko (21st December 2017),Randel (18th December 2017)

The way I'm reading this a good portion of the so called loyal buyers imo were fleet/salary package buyers who bought more so on Price !
    It doesn't matter the brand overall for these types but how much bang for buck they can get within their budgets.
    Now they go elsewhere.

I knew long ago their distribution was large and near on Toyotas but at the market share they had ridiculous.
    So 70 sites culled, these DP's should stick it right up GM (incl their employees) having sucked the juice out of them for as long as they could.
    Sorry for these good people but to GM Corp eat shit and welcome to becoming a bit player in the market finally.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Soz, double posting.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Enjoying FOA's Final Masterpiece Perko's Avatar
    Writing has been on the wall. Seriously, what does a dealer put on their lot now apart from Colorados? Our local dealer has now converted 80% of their site to second hand vehicles. I don't like seeing any business close. However you didn't need to be a genius to see this coming.
    Ford Heritage : KF Laser, XF Ute, XH Tradesman Ute, EL Futura, AU2 Ute, XD Ute, XH XR6 Ute, BA XR8 Ute, SX Territory, BF XR8 Sedan, EB2 S XR6, EB1 S XR8, WQ Fiesta, FGX XR8, PX2 Ranger

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Perko For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (23rd December 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Perko View Post
    Writing has been on the wall. Seriously, what does a dealer put on their lot now apart from Colorados? Our local dealer has now converted 80% of their site to second hand vehicles. I don't like seeing any business close. However you didn't need to be a genius to see this coming.
    I guess the ones that diversified won't care. It's the little ones that will be hurt. If it's anything like Melbourne all the big dealerships bought out the little ones ages ago.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VZTRT For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (23rd December 2017)

Many of the Ford dealers here in SA also sell other brands. With Falcon sales slowing over many years and sales of their small to mid cars being average they had to really. The success of Ranger and Mustang has given them a new lease on life but they have still diversified which I think was smart. Too many eggs in the one basket.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (23rd December 2017),Perko (22nd December 2017)

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    You know what?
    I recon the new Commodore's sales forecast has fallen in a heap
    due to negative feedback from a lot of Holden's repeat buyers.

I think Holden just felt the branch crack beneath them
    and it's not gonna get any better and they know it.

Holden's epitaph should read,
    They had a steady high value customer base that was happy
    buying RWD Local products at surprisingly strong prices
    and they pissed up against the wall to save money.....
    Too early to call that. I know plenty of fleets will be taking new Commodore replacements.

Holden had too many dealerships as it was. The problem is they are pulling the rug on successful ones which will hurt them. Metro Holden Adelaide being the prime example.
    2017 FORD PXII WILDTRAK 4X4
    2016 FORD FGX XR6 SPRINT LE TURBO 325
    2016 FORD LZ FOCUS SPORT
    2017 SEADOO RXT300RS JETSKI

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dash gt For This Useful Post:

WASP (2nd January 2018)

Validated User
    Too many dealerships is a direct result of a lot less customers.

Plenty of fleets will be buying the new Commodore?
    That must be pleasing news to Holden chiefs, for a moment there I thought that no one was interested...
    The four cylinder Turbo diesel looks interesting, maybe it displaces some more Mondeo fleet sales...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast