Thread: 2017 F.E.N.A review of Kia Stinger GT

2017 F.E.N.A review of Kia Stinger GT

To save everyone time, this review by Motor is to a point what we found on test.

https://youtu.be/sJILcNC4w2c
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

383gxl (19th December 2017),dash gt (19th December 2017),defective (19th December 2017),FTe217 (20th December 2017),Futura (19th December 2017),imike1 (19th December 2017),Paxton (19th December 2017),Road_Warrior (19th December 2017)

The date says the 19/12/17 and the name says F.E.N.A review of Kia stinger GT but in truth watching the above video covers everything I had written right down to the order of points and execution.

However, if you feel so inclined to read some words I will take some of the points from the unpublished work and say them now.
    Why has it taken so long?
    I came to the conclusion with this car that was, at the time, at odds with the majority of the motoring world. Note the term “world”

I spent considerable time watching and reading other reviews to see if anyone had the same issues I had with this car. I even reached out to some motoring journalists to seek their opinion because sometimes in isolation you can get it wrong. There were combinations of having Stinger experience but not the GT model or no complaints at all.

It has taken to this week for me to come across any type of editorial that comes close to what I felt back in December and surprisingly right down to the comment order and construction. Watching the 6 minutes 24 gets you everything I would say. If you could have seen me as I watched this video for the first time yesterday! I can sense there is a ‘But” coming in big bold capitals. Please god let there be an issue with dynamics and then, bang there it was.
    If you ever find yourself in a situation where you are at odds with the most common beliefs, flat earth for example, its time to hit pause. So that’s what I did.

The original work spoke about things such as confidence in quality, the offering of a 7 year warranty with was pretty much rarefied. We went into a bit of Kia history because yes this is a first up attempt of sorts but not of making cars.
    That confidence isn’t misplaced. A quick call to the service manager revealed Kia as a brand is very good on this score for fixable concerns in the period of normality of such concern and even beyond.
    The look and feel of everything, for the money, I would say is a step up from what we are used to. You have to extend your touch to items not usually meant for feel to find some tactile issues. Your finger need to start wondering around looking for issue.
    The majority of what you feel is spot on and that makes it a nice place from which to conduct normal day to day duties.
    During the obligatory “lookatmemeter” test I had the time to play with the adaptive settings to check off that the end user could sense the changes. Generally, when this happens appreciation follows so while the reaction from onlookers wasn’t what I expected, behind the wheel I was very comfortable with my temporary role in this play. It was and is a genuine feel good experience for which Kia should receive high praise.
    Seating configuration options are only matched by the number of standard features in this specification car. You want for absolutely nothing in terms of gismos or features for the pc minded.

In this regard its easier to list the concerns. The hatch design does make rear entry and exit on the head space a challenge not normally encountered in a sedan. Once seated, in the old language a 6 footer will find the glass a close companion but for every other dimension more than adequate including the view out of the extra large roof glass fitted to my test car.

Climate control, everything you could wish for in a car of this price is ticked. I can’t say enough good things about the features and how they worked.
    For me the problems started when I left the 60kph limit and move to 80kph. Yep you read that right. The move to a country limited road started to show some aspects of concern. The steering just dropped down the list of approval and the suspension wasn’t where I wanted anything close to confidence to reside in. No problem lets dial up sports mode.
    Yeah ok that’s better, so onto our test loop which is just another 20 kph increment more and, well, watch the video again.

The rear just let go and the intervention was a mess immediately a question was asked of it. Right there and then I had no trust with this car. The review was pretty much over because I can afford to have a car do that when I am trusted to bring it back safely and unblemished.

It’s not that I didn’t pull over an have a look at things.

I first went to the tyres. I checked the pressures, I got out and looked at the tread. I couldn’t fault either. I went into the modes and tried customisation. I will dig a photo of me doing that.

My theory was the sports mode had stiffness the rear too much which can put a lot of pressure on tyre grip.
    I felt I owed it to the car one more time and all that was accomplished was front brake locking the likes I have not seen from any car I have every reviewed. The balance just wasn’t there.

I had some theories. That the car was tuned specifically for AWD and what its brain was doing was planning forward traction assistance that never came. That resulted in unpolished electronic behaviour. I mean that is fundamental. There is no way that would be the case but that’s what the car was like. The rear was behaving like it was expecting the front to pull and that never came obviously

There was something wrong with this set of tyres.
    If you watch the video it appears the Australian press cars or launch cars had very nice Michelin Sports 4s. This in my mind raises a question or two. What tyre was this car engineered on? Did Kia Australia decide on a cost cut in a very price sensitive market? When I handed the car back I made special mention that the tyres can’t handle this car. At a time of confusion, the easiest and most polite reason to give is blame the tyres. It not like we haven’t had practice with this excuse after all.
    Maybe this is why some reviewers didn’t find an issue. I can’t say for sure but what I know is as a package it doesn’t deserve to be treated as harshly as my words might have been portrayed as promoting.

Yes, it’s a first attempt but hey, some great minds and pedigree where enlisted in this car. I struggled with how it could be so wrong from the promotional accomplishments listed by Kia.
    The engine is a high point. I didn’t feel it was exactly as linear as what Ford consumers might be used to, but it hauls and its satisfying in doing so. It’s another feel good aspect of this package and probably it’s best attribute. The auto I didn’t rate. The lack of manual control and its patterns didn’t seem much more advanced than our aging ZF to the point some shifts weren’t as fluid as one might have hope for.
    The brake feel for what I did was fine, but this is that all important aspect of, “what did you do”
    In truth not enough to test fade so you default to anyone who has that opportunity and trust that appraisal.

Good

Quality
    Feature for coin
    Engine
    RWD

Bad
    Lack of grip
    Lack of cohesion front to rear
    Lack of cohesion in its electronics
    Can’t be trusted. (With mild provocation)

Context. Monday to Friday, shopping and school duties, all boxes ticked. Going to and from work, anywhere where there is a highway or city traffic malls, boxes ticked.
    If the purchase is about driving characteristics, about being competent to enjoy great roads or even not so great roads, watch the video again or organise your own test drive because as a package it is good. As a driving experience, it is not where I thought it would be or what I expected from reading about it and I can’t hide my disappointment on that aspect.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

383gxl (6th June 2018),4Vman (6th June 2018),flappist (6th June 2018),FTe217 (6th June 2018),Perko (8th June 2018),WASP (6th June 2018)

In the big picture the BA1 XR6T, XR8 and GT were all rather "quirky". My GT-P did some rather silly shit on occasion.

I am sure Kia will learn from this "beta test" model but regardless of what they do it will never be a Mustang.

Now if only Ford would put the TT V6 in the Mustang.......
    A velocitatem terram

Google-Fu, the ancient snowflake art of knowing little, understanding less but believing anything they find on Google as the word of God.

Great review Ian. Justa point of clarification. Do we not get the AWD version in Australia?
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    Great review Ian. Justa point of clarification. Do we not get the AWD version in Australia?
    Nope, which leads me to believe they decided to cut costs and make it RWD for Australia and didn’t refine the DSC settings to suit.

Reviews of the AWD are vastly more positive.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Some good experience detail Ian.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

2017 F.E.N.A review of Kia Stinger GT

Ok that explains a lot as overseas reviews reflect a very different experience.

The car still sounds awesome but owning a car that was dynamically compromised to a noticeable degree for what it is would irritate me. I would be left wanting for the AWD version.

If Ford had a comparative option Iím pretty sure I would feel the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

The awd theory was just something the electronics made me feel.

Now knowing the tyre was changed, it begs a more obvious and telling question.

To what grip level was this car engpineered on?

One could correctly argue the tyre selection by owner post purchase would reflect such a deviation which shouldn’t hurt to this degree.

I would concur.

This was a frustrating car to write about because the way the opportunity came about deserved accuracy.

Not enough people had experience with the GT model who were saying the sort of thing Scott has here.

That video is to a second the most efficient and accurate experience I had save the race track stuff.

We will never be able to do that.

Scott can drive too which makes a difference.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

WASP (7th June 2018)

My only gripe with this car and its a big one...

Is the colour of the plastics doesn't match the metal panels straight off the lot !

I already have one B-series falcon and i have seen and relived this problem first hand after 13yrs ownership, i am not about to repeat history.

Repainting costs serious coin... as for the
    resale value ?

Lets wait and see...