Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Passenger cars not a priority in Australia: David fleet.

Passenger cars not a priority in Australia: David fleet.

https://www.motoring.com.au/fords-fi...e-over-110601/

Passenger cars not a priority for Blue Oval brand in Australia

The doubt over the Australian future of the Ford Fiesta continues following a declaration from the Blue Oval’s regional boss that sales success here is now based on pick-ups, SUVs and performance cars.

Speaking to motoring.com.au at the Detroit auto show, Peter Fleet refused to clarify the future of the mini-car in Australia.

“I don’t have anything to say about that,” he said.

While the Fiesta has been overhauled into a seventh generation for Europe, Ford Australia is continuing to take supplies of the superseded model from a Ford plant in Thailand.

A sad spin-off of that situation is the highly-rated Fiesta ST hot hatch is about to disappear from the Australian market. Currently in run-out while stocks last, the existing Fiesta ST has already been replaced in Europe, where it is produced.

“I think it’s clear our business now in Australia is going to be anchored around the trucks, SUVs and performance vehicles,” Fleet said.

“That’s how I see that business shaping up and you can see that already in existence by what we have been successful in Australia with already.”

In 2017 Fiesta sales collapsed 43.1 per cent to just 1550. Its big brother the Focus was off 12.2 per cent and the biggest of the European-designed trio, the Mondeo, was down 5.2 per cent.

None of them are volume players in their segments and only the Focus is guaranteed to continue on sale in Australia in its next generation, which is due as soon as late 2018.

Ford’s passenger car line-up in Australia has already been dramatically pared back by the end of production of the Falcon large car.

Asked if there could be further paring back, Fleet replied:

“I am not announcing anything different about that now, but if you look at the volume of those [passenger cars] we sell relative to the rest of the business … I think where I see the most exciting future for the Ford brand in Australia — both as a business and for our customers — is around trucks, utilities and performance vehicles.

“That is where I see the most exciting opportunities.”

The undoubted success story in Ford’s current line-up has been the Ranger. It was the biggest selling 4×4 pick-up in Australia last year; add in the 4×2 and it was the second biggest selling vehicle in the Australian market overall.

It also accounted for more than 50 per cent of Ford sales, and there’s an upgraded Ranger coming here by mid-2018.

Ford’s second biggest seller, the Mustang is a dominant performer in the sport car market and will be facelifted this year.

Ford’s SUV sales performance isn’t strong, but it needs to get the segment right because it is now the biggest in Australia, surpassing passenger cars for the first time in 2017.

Ford is increasing promotion of the Escape, which is a modest player in the booming medium SUV segment, the EcoSport small SUV has been freshly refurbished, the large Everest off-roader is building sales as its model line-up expands and the large Endura crossover arrives before the end of 2018, albeit with only five seats and a turbo-diesel engine.

There are also plans to potentially reintroduce the next-generation Explorer, a larger crossover with seven seats.

Fleet defended the reliance on Ranger to sustain Ford’s sales volume in Australia, which dipped 3.8 per cent in 2017 as last stock of the locally-built Falcon and Territory disappeared.

“I am delighted with the success of the Ranger,” he said. “Do we want everything to be about Ranger 4×4 in Australia? No.

“There are other things we are doing now to try and grow other elements of the portfolio. Escape is one, we are putting a lot of effort in there. We will also be introducing Endura.

“But Ranger anchors our line-up and it’s great to see its success.”
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Last time i checked Ranger and the SUV range carried passengers....

Anyway i glad "performance" was listed as a priority.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Agreed Norm, just waiting now to see if Ford Performance in the States get behind this plan for the future. People here just dont seem to warm to Ford's smaller cars but I suspect some of this is how they are treated at a dealership level.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

13726548 (17th January 2018),HSE2 (18th January 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    Agreed Norm, just waiting now to see if Ford Performance in the States get behind this plan for the future. People here just dont seem to warm to Ford's smaller cars but I suspect some of this is how they are treated at a dealership level.
    There is a rumor floating around Ford Australia were offered GT350 at the beginning but said no thankyou...

Don't know if its true or scuttlebutt but take it for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    There is a rumor floating around Ford Australia were offered GT350 at the beginning but said no thankyou...

Don't know if its true or scuttlebutt but take it for what it is.
    If that is true, I will hand back my Ford man card now.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

4Vman (17th January 2018)

If i'm forced away from Performance sedans because SUV's are the future so be it, give me a performance SUV option then.

It doesn't matter how you slice it up, Mustang and RS wont work for me.

Right now if i had to accept a SUV it would be from:

Grand Cherokee Limited
    Audi Q7
    X5
    GLC
    XC90
    Discovery Sport

That's the kind of ON Road Sports/Performance SUV that would get me in.

Not a funky looking soccer mum gutless shopping trolley.

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    If that is true, I will hand back my Ford man card now.
    Half of me thinks impossible, then the voice in my head reminds me we also proudly said no to Mondeo Sport and anything to do with Motorracing...

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    If i'm forced away from Performance sedans because SUV's are the future so be it, give me a performance SUV option then.

It doesn't matter how you slice it up, Mustang and RS wont work for me.

Right now if i had to accept a SUV it would be from:

Grand Cherokee Limited
    Audi Q7
    X5
    GLC
    XC90
    Discovery Sport

That's the kind of ON Road Sports/Performance SUV that would get me in.

Not a funky looking soccer mum gutless shopping trolley.
    You forgot the 3.5D X3/X4. Scarily fast for an SUV, but handle better than some Falcons with the M Sport Package in M Sport mode...

Ten years ago, you could buy a Territory Turbo which was a ripper of a car, with a fairly good following. There were either a ML55 or an X5 4.8IS at more than twice the price or a Territory Ghia Turbo (and F6X).

I sound like a broken record, but the people in Ford Aspac have rocks in their heads if they think people aren't interested in their US only performance range.

Shit, VW have a 4.4 Litre V8 (Diesel) Tourareg which would leave most of the mid '00s V8 Sedans in its wake.

I am sill trying to work out what the difference between Mondeo and Fusion (other than their badge), and why they can't just build RHD Fusion Sports with Mondeo bits. Surely the seats are the same, and the interior can just be made in Spain and shipped.

It even looks like Ford didn't want the V8 Mustang to leave the USA given how compromised the RHD version is in terms of performance.
    Deutschland, Deutschland über alles
    Volkswagen Number 3 - Passat Alltrack 130TDi

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paxton For This Useful Post:

4Vman (17th January 2018),imike1 (18th January 2018),Randel (19th January 2018)

Validated User
    Ford doesn't want to worry about small cars because the margins are skinny and its a very competitive market.

Sadly they cannot compete with Koreans on price.
    2017 FORD PXII WILDTRAK 4X4
    2016 FORD FGX XR6 SPRINT LE TURBO 325
    2016 FORD LZ FOCUS SPORT
    2017 SEADOO RXT300RS JETSKI

The threat is real for the traditional sedan. It's simply stuck in no mans land between cheap, mostly korean hatches and SUV's.

What Ford need to do with their SUV is work on the S. Because their current range is just UV's
    As a Pink Floyd fan I get mad when I see vegans eating pudding.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Elks For This Useful Post:

WASP (18th January 2018)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast