Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FG X XR8 Wheel Alignment

Just Arrived

FG X XR8 Wheel Alignment

Hi all, after several attempts at front wheel alignment I知 a bit stumped, so I知 hoping some of you fellas may be able to point me in the right direction. I値l cut out all the boring details and cut to the chase.

The front toe settings on the XR8 are unique in that the left is +0.45deg and the right -0.25deg i.e. both tyres pointing toward the middle of the road to compensate for residual alignment torque as stated in the manual. Most toe settings are slightly equally +ve (toe in).

With Michelin pilot sport 4S痴 fitted I eventually got my mechanic to set the camber and toe to spec which he has just done, he has locked the wheel at centre then set the toe to spec. So. driving straight the steering wheel is way off centre anticlockwise as the wheels line up straight ahead. End result is the car tracks ok, no noticeable pull, but the steering wheel is not centred.

A couple of questions, does the steering wheel need to be offset before setting the toe to these specs align it in the centre? Or should the toe be set so both LH & RH are slightly toed in to line the streeing wheel straight ahead?

Quote Originally Posted by RedM View Post
    Hi all, after several attempts at front wheel alignment I’m a bit stumped, so I’m hoping some of you fellas may be able to point me in the right direction. I’ll cut out all the boring details and cut to the chase.

The front toe settings on the XR8 are unique in that the left is +0.45deg and the right -0.25deg i.e. both tyres pointing toward the middle of the road to compensate for residual alignment torque as stated in the manual. Most toe settings are slightly equally +ve (toe in).

With Michelin pilot sport 4S’s fitted I eventually got my mechanic to set the camber and toe to spec which he has just done, he has locked the wheel at centre then set the toe to spec. So…. driving straight the steering wheel is way off centre anticlockwise as the wheels line up straight ahead. End result is the car tracks ok, no noticeable pull, but the steering wheel is not centred.

A couple of questions, does the steering wheel need to be offset before setting the toe to these specs align it in the centre? Or should the toe be set so both LH & RH are slightly toed in to line the streeing wheel straight ahead?
    Randal is the best one to answer this, but the wheel should be centered.

Out of curiosity what do you think of the 4s's?
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Don't understand how your mechanic/wheel align tech allows the car to leave with the steering wheel off centre.
    This is one thing I double check before leaving and ask - you made sure the wheel is dead centre.
    I just had my WA done last service prior to chrissy on the Sprint.
    Total Toe before +3.0 - After +2.0
    Individ toe before was LH +1.4 RH +1.6 - After LH/RH +1.0
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    Don't understand how your mechanic/wheel align tech allows the car to leave with the steering wheel off centre.
    This is one thing I double check before leaving and ask - you made sure the wheel is dead centre.
    Im surprised you can drive it after getting your dealer to do it.
    2017.5 FORD MONDEO TITANIUM DIESEL
    2017 FORD PXII WILDTRAK 4X4
    2016 FORD FGX XR6 SPRINT LE TURBO 325

Just Arrived
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Out of curiosity what do you think of the 4s's?
    I haven't pushed them yet, waiting to get the alignment sorted. So far I think they are pretty good, although no wet weather driving as yet and they are quieter than the Dunlop's.

Just Arrived
    I did ask him to set it to the spec which is causing the steering wheel to be off centre when driving. He did say this was likely to happen, hence my questions, the spec doesn't make sense.
    It's booked in to be set up similar to yours.

Dash, I concur.
    Having asked for some form of aligner credibility whilst booking in for the service I was assured they have a good man.
    Its in their own premise, not farmed out.
    I'm time poor, its the first time in my car ownership life I've had a dealership do this job after knowing who to use in the field.
    Time will tell, I shall watch the tyre wear and to date it steers fine, wheel is straight.

RedM, if I recall right the tech/guy doing the WA after test drive if wheel not 100% in middle goes back under and makes adjustment where connected at the rack.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

Just Arrived
    RedM, if I recall right the tech/guy doing the WA after test drive if wheel not 100% in middle goes back under and makes adjustment where connected at the rack.
    Thanks FTe217
    The manual is pretty vague about it but I'll talk to him.
    I'm beginning to wonder if the specs in the manual are specific to the OEM Dunlop's as they are quite aggressive compared to vehicles with other tyres. i.e. the sprint8 toe spec is equal both sides +ve 0.1deg, although the camber is pretty full on at -ve 1deg.
    Do you have your camber specs?

Just Arrived
    Any mods out there want to correct the title please "wheel"

sure do.
    Well neg I don't mind being to the poofteenth edge of better turn in handling but not to the point I'm over wearing the insides where I would normally get WA's so through my dealer their aligner says weren't out much at all by their machine.
    Before
    LH -1.07 RH -00.41
    After
    LH -1.06 RH -00.41
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast