Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Ford unhappy with Escape sales; looking to add "emotive" models.

  1. #1
    Miami Sprint. 4Vman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    19,422

    Ford unhappy with Escape sales; looking to add "emotive" models.

    http://www.caradvice.com.au/618911/f...-sales-sports/

    Ford’s regional boss is sufficiently dissatisfied with the modest sales of its Escape SUV in Australia to go on the record about it, and says he is looking at adding “emotional derivatives” with performance or luxury bents to shake things up.

    The Escape is one of the world’s most popular crossovers, yet despite some sales growth in 2017 compared to the badly-named Kuga it replaced, managed just 3.0 per cent market share here in our fastest-growing segment.

    The Mazda CX-5 outsold the Ford by a ratio of 5:1, the Hyundai Tucson and Toyota RAV4 beat it by more than 4:1, and even the more upmarket Volkswagen Tiguan doubled Ford’s tally.
    So Ford are only just starting to realizing you need halo and aspirational models to help sell the broader range??!!

    What a light-bulb moment......
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

    Burnout (4th February 2018),Futura (2nd February 2018),Randel (3rd February 2018)

  3. #2
    I Bleed Blue Elks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,862
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/618911/f...-sales-sports/



    So Ford are only just starting to realizing you need halo and aspirational models to help sell the broader range??!!

    What a light-bulb moment......
    .

    Yep. They have a range of cars that are in the main pretty beige, Notable exceptions be Focus RS, & Mustang. And we don't even get the good version of Mustang or even some of the better options.

    But Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo, EcoSport, Escape, Everest are all good cars, some very good, but hardly inspirational. Kind of like a vanilla milkshake. Nice, but leaves you wondering what else is on offer? Even the soon to land Endura is only coming in diesel version.

    Ranger is the stand out for Ford, looks good, well equipped , market priced, (not cheap, but not too dear). It broke the mold but time is against it. but now, Amarok V6 from $54K (mid spec) Benz X Class, and many others coming for it. It needs to move forward soon or it will be run over.

    But for a brand that should really be in the top 3 in this country, the products in the main lack sparkle. The easy part for FoA is that there are versions of these products available they just need to make it here.
    As a Pink Floyd fan I get mad when I see vegans eating pudding.

  4. #3
    Miami Sprint. 4Vman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    19,422
    The good folk at Richmond seem to see ZERO connection between aspiration and siphon....
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

  5. #4
    T3/Sprint8 FTe217's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Richmond
    Posts
    10,239
    As I've quoted before, you can't go to market when at the bottom of the pack.
    You got to earn the cred.
    Like going to play tennis but with a squash racket.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

  6. #5
    Validated User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,871
    You don't need halo cars to sell cars in Australia.

    Mazda and Toyota are proof.

    What you need is to sell cars that are reliable with decent resale and after sales service.

    The reason why Ford cannot get decent numbers in any of their passenger cars is their poor history. The Fiesta / Focus powershift transmission issue and how they have handled them to date have turned so many potential Escape customers away it isn't funny.

    Mazda's are not exciting cars but they do have a level of build quality and standard features. Even the base model CX5 has blind spot monitoring, the top of the range Escape has it as an option in a tech pack, like really?

    How do you fix a brand when it has such a poor following? Young people are not interested in Fords except for Rangers.

    Look Ford have the Focus ST, what does it do for Focus sales? Nothing.

    If Ford were smart they would introduce fixed price servicing of $190 and a 5 year warranty on all their small cars. That may give some people faith in the brand.
    2017 FORD PXII WILDTRAK 4X4
    2016 FORD FGX XR6 SPRINT LE TURBO 325
    2016 FORD LZ FOCUS SPORT
    2017 SEADOO RXT300RS JETSKI

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to dash gt For This Useful Post:

    FTe217 (2nd February 2018)

  8. #6
    7753 - 5030 HSE2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,029
    Have we not been through this many many times before?

    You want emotive. Anything emotive about the blue oval has been banished from the vocabulary.

    It’s like the same people running anti Australia Day or women on the grid of F1, work for us.

    The people who are passionate and emotive about the brand see a company that’s confused. In this country we can’t be like other ford countries for specific reasons known only internally.

    We would rather part out fixing mustang to emotional, enthusiast levels. Hand it off to aftermarket, to dealers, to anyone other than ourselves. Content wrong, pricing wrong. A complete disconnect.

    There is no looking for opportunities to sell cars.

    This business is about selling cars.

    When you fly anti ford flags as they do with racing in my face, the product has to be exceptional to overcome the disappointment in my personal satisfaction with the brand.

    I am not a confused person in the main. I purchase with clarity and support a greater attachment to the brand.

    Ford are getting further away than they have ever been and it’s simply because they are denying the consistency of the Ford DNA.

    All markets treated the same way, get passion and pride into not just the product but the reason to own it.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

    FTe217 (2nd February 2018),Perko (2nd February 2018),WASP (2nd February 2018)

  10. #7
    Validated User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,871
    Quote Originally Posted by HSE2 View Post
    Have we not been through this many many times before?

    You want emotive. Anything emotive about the blue oval has been banished from the vocabulary.

    It’s like the same people running anti Australia Day or women on the grid of F1, work for us.

    The people who are passionate and emotive about the brand see a company that’s confused. In this country we can’t be like other ford countries for specific reasons known only internally.

    We would rather part out fixing mustang to emotional, enthusiast levels. Hand it off to aftermarket, to dealers, to anyone other than ourselves. Content wrong, pricing wrong. A complete disconnect.

    There is no looking for opportunities to sell cars.

    This business is about selling cars.

    When you fly anti ford flags as they do with racing in my face, the product has to be exceptional to overcome the disappointment in my personal satisfaction with the brand.

    I am not a confused person in the main. I purchase with clarity and support a greater attachment to the brand.

    Ford are getting further away than they have ever been and it’s simply because they are denying the consistency of the Ford DNA.

    All markets treated the same way, get passion and pride into not just the product but the reason to own it.
    They aren't confused. They are just damn right arrogant.

    If they didn't have Ranger, Ford Australia would be in very bad shape, you cannot rely on one product alone when in reality most of your vehicles are the best in their class. There is something fundamentally wrong with how the business is being run.

    They need to spend a lot of time looking at what Mazda have done in the last 10 years and try and reinvent themselves.

    Motorsport doesn't sell cars which is why they have left it. You can sell cars in big numbers without motorsport.
    2017 FORD PXII WILDTRAK 4X4
    2016 FORD FGX XR6 SPRINT LE TURBO 325
    2016 FORD LZ FOCUS SPORT
    2017 SEADOO RXT300RS JETSKI

  11. #8
    I Bleed Blue Elks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,862
    Quote Originally Posted by dash gt View Post
    Motorsport doesn't sell cars which is why they have left it. You can sell cars in big numbers without motorsport.

    True.

    But, it's good for the brand, win on sunday sell on monday still has relevance when the race cars have relevance to road cars. So not Supercars. Athough Mercedes do a great job of selling the run off from F1 tech. Also look at the $$ being thrown at the mountain this weekend and globally by BMW, AMG Audi, all aiming for smaller markets.

    Also racing is a part of the Ford global DNA, all the way back to the "sweepstakes" which henry won and that provided the funds to start the company.

    Ford EU & USA are into racing. It's an Aus decision that they are not.

    The issue for FoA is they can't out Toyota, Toyota. That safe reliable family car space is Toyota's if you want to beat them it won't be by copying them.
    As a Pink Floyd fan I get mad when I see vegans eating pudding.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elks For This Useful Post:

    4Vman (2nd February 2018),FTe217 (2nd February 2018)

  13. #9
    Miami Sprint. 4Vman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    19,422
    There is no single cause and no single solution.

    Ford's predicament in Australia is immensely complex now.

    From Product quality issues to price point to model mix to lacking continuity of DNA.

    Many things have contributed to the current situation, but IMO the current direction is NOT solving those issues.

    The heavy reliance on Ranger and to a much less an extent Mustang is frightening to say the least.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

  14. #10
    Validated User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,871
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    There is no single cause and no single solution.

    Ford's predicament in Australia is immensely complex now.

    From Product quality issues to price point to model mix to lacking continuity of DNA.

    Many things have contributed to the current situation, but IMO the current direction is NOT solving those issues.

    The heavy reliance on Ranger and to a much less an extent Mustang is frightening to say the least.
    They have a long road ahead, but they are never good at sticking at things. They are all over the shop between marketing and dealer support.

    I can't wait to see January VFacts.
    2017 FORD PXII WILDTRAK 4X4
    2016 FORD FGX XR6 SPRINT LE TURBO 325
    2016 FORD LZ FOCUS SPORT
    2017 SEADOO RXT300RS JETSKI

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •