Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Released, 2018 Ranger Raptor.

Released, 2018 Ranger Raptor.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...revealed-67254

The wait is over: the most anticipated ute release of this year – the 2018 Ford Ranger Raptor – is here. The covers were thrown off what Ford has dubbed the “race-bred” Raptor at a special global reveal held in Bangkok, Thailand today (February 7) about 11.30pm AEDT. The event was a reveal-only, no driving.

First things first: Australia and the rest of the Asia-Pacific region will get the Raptor with a new 2.0-litre bi-turbo diesel engine (156kW/500Nm); there’s been no official word as yet on any other engine variants, including whether a petrol version (based on the US F-150 Raptor’s 3.5-litre twin-turbocharged V6 petrol: 336kW/690Nm) will be an option in the not-too-distant future. Rumours abound though.

The Aussie market Raptor has the Ford-designed and built 10-speed automatic RWD transmission.

It’s a big unit: 5398mm long, 2180mm wide, 1873mm high – and it has a wider track than the Ranger.

It’s a big unit: 5398mm long, 2180mm wide, 1873mm high – and it has a wider track than its non-performance stablemate, the Ranger, with front and rear at 1710mm.

It certainly looks the business: intimidating front end, flared fenders, and chunky cabin.

Inside, the seats are technical suede, so you don’t slip around while driving the Raptor over bouncy stuff, and the interior includes blue stitching and leather accents.

The steering wheel has new lightweight magnesium paddle shifters and perforated leather hand grip sections.

The Raptor has Ford’s 'SYNC 3' media system and its 8.0-inch colour screen also doubles as the rear view camera display.

The approach (32.5°), departure (24° with tow-bar on), and ramp-over (24°) angles all top their class.

Active and passive safety tech includes all the usual culprits such as electronic stability control, roll mitigation, and more outdoorsy-type functions like 'Trailer Sway Control', 'Hill Start Assist', 'Hill Descent Control' and 'Load Adaptive Control'.

Off-road stats are on the right side of impressive with 283mm ground clearance, and approach (32.5°), departure (24° with tow-bar on), and ramp-over (24°) angles all topping their class – or so Ford reckons.

Massive news in the suspension stakes as well with the intro of Fox Racing Shox dampers, front and rear, designed for off-road endurance driving and offering up greater wheel travel, with 46.6mm pistons for front and rear.

The shocks – categorised as 'Position Sensitive Damping' type – are designed to cop the worst of undulating terrain at high speeds providing “higher damping forces at full jounce and rebound”, according to Ford.

Also, of course, gone are the Ranger’s rear leaf springs: the Raptor gets a coil springs, Watt’s link set-up, and solid rear axle.

It certainly looks the business: intimidating front end, flared fenders, and chunky cabin.

The Raptor also gets beefier rubber – All-Terrain BF Goodrich 285/70 R17 tyres, measuring 838mm in diameter and 285mm in width – and disc brakes.

It has Ford’s 'Terrain Management System', which has six drive modes: two for on-road (Normal and Sport) and four modes for off-road: Grass/Gravel/Snow, Mud/Sand, Rock, and the new Raptor-suited Baja mode (“for enthusiastic drivers!”), specially tuned for high-speed off-road performance, paring back vehicle systems, such as traction control, holding gears for longer and downshifting more energetically.

The Raptor’s tray is 1743mm long and 1560mm wide. It has a modified rear bumper with an integrated tow bar and two recovery hooks rated at 4.5 tonnes.

What will irk potential buyers is the fact the Raptor has a maximum towing capacity of 2500kg (braked), 1000kg below the segment’s benchmark.

Exterior colours include 'Lightning Blue', 'Race Red', 'Shadow Black', 'Frozen White', and the range’s hero colour: 'Conquer Grey', with contrasting 'Dyno Grey' accent colour.

No pricing was available at time of writing but we reckon Ford will slap a $80,000-$85,000 price-tag on it.

My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

WASP (8th February 2018)

My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

WASP (8th February 2018)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

WASP (8th February 2018)

This is a VERY nice looking Sports OFF-ROAD Truck.

Ford have done a great job with it.

I've found peace with the Raptor brand, it's off-road Performance Sports.

I need to stop looking at products from my own buying preference.

My main question will come once we see the US spec for the engine.

At 1.25 in the the Video above the gentleman makes a very good point.

Let's see how this pans out.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Randel (8th February 2018),WASP (8th February 2018)

Ranger Raptor V F150 Raptor:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (8th February 2018)

Im at a cross road.

I like the external look, it has a tough attitude to it and everything flows.

The interior for me is very nice. Fantastic looking front seats, coloured stitching, the steering wheel, flappy paddles, push start ignition, the new instrument cluster all look fantastic. Even the extra trim on the pedals looks great. These are all things that remind me of our previous Tickford / FPV Falcons.

The engine, i have no doubt that it will be good and hopefully one day i will get to drive and test on. I know deep down we all wanted the V6 EB or the 'pie in the sky' V8, but i guess there is a reason for the TT4.

The only issue i have is the towing capacity, 2500kg, for me i am right on that when i town my trailer and racecar

This is a product most suited for people wanting to push the envelope a bit more off road.

The suspension changes are significant as are the clearance improvements and under body protection.

The interior impresses me more than the exterior.

They have gone away from that poorly implemented half digital dash (where the Tachometer is a bar graph) and brought back a proper 2+ dial dashboard. They have however moved away from Falcon's gear shift and moved towards the USA's PRND/Tiptronic Switches.

I do think they missed a trick with the engine - they could and should have used the 3.0 Diesel in this to give Amarok and the Mercedes Navara something to compete with. There is no replacement for Displacement with diesel engines.
    Deutschland, Deutschland über alles
    Volkswagen Number 3 - Passat Alltrack 130TDi

Quote Originally Posted by Paxton View Post
    The interior impresses me more than the exterior.

They have gone away from that poorly implemented half digital dash (where the Tachometer is a bar graph) and brought back a proper 2+ dial dashboard. They have however moved away from Falcon's gear shift and moved towards the USA's PRND/Tiptronic Switches.

I do think they missed a trick with the engine - they could and should have used the 3.0 Diesel in this to give Amarok and the Mercedes Navara something to compete with. There is no replacement for Displacement with diesel engines.
    The Amarok and soon Mercedes are becoming the only choice from a "White colar" "on-road" performance truck perspective.

Everything else seems to be going more and more "offroad" or extreme duty.

Enjoying FOA's Final Masterpiece Perko's Avatar
    I love the look of the exterior. This vehicle could have been the catalyst for me to trade the Ranger and XR8 in for one vehicle. Unfortunately the interior is not special enough for me. The seats are great but everything else is like a XLT and not performance enough. But, saying that I could definitely live there.

For me the big question mark is the powerplant. Transmission looks like a peach but the diesel motor doesn't get me excited. For a Raptor I was expecting more. the torque will be handy but how will the power translate for a vehicle that size. So I am definitely sitting on the fence and need some further convincing. Maybe in my case getting a Tickford tune would be a better option.
    Ford Heritage : KF Laser, XF Ute, XH Tradesman Ute, EL Futura, AU2 Ute, XD Ute, XH XR6 Ute, BA XR8 Ute, SX Territory, BF XR8 Sedan, EB2 S XR6, EB1 S XR8, WQ Fiesta, FGX XR8, PX2 Ranger

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast