Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Released, 2018 Ranger Raptor.

Its a choice Tony, no one is making you/us to buy.
    Regards not looking at things from your own like/dislikes was regards Norm being close minded on the general subject per say, probably part giving the piss but also something he's never really cared for. Others see otherwise.

I also quoted regards the $$$$$'s, I reckon its a alot as well, near to triple figures for a dual cab, a TT 2.0l !
    Reminds me I was watching the release of the latest and greatest full of fruit FSeries the other month - they were quoting would you believe Pick Ups getting to these prices just on or over US$100k - now as you know thats US$ and again I'm saying FULL of fruit and V8 from memory.
    Not a correct comparo but there you have the US market at least having a Fairmont Ghia and more so to speak on US$100k and where at A$90 about for this.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    Regards not looking at things from your own like/dislikes was regards Norm being close minded on the general subject per say, probably part giving the piss but also something he's never really cared for. Others see otherwise.

I also quoted regards the $$$$$'s, I reckon its a alot as well, near to triple figures for a dual cab, a TT 2.0l !
    Reminds me I was watching the release of the latest and greatest full of fruit FSeries the other month - they were quoting would you believe Pick Ups getting to these prices just on or over US$100k - now as you know thats US$ and again I'm saying FULL of fruit and V8 from memory.
    Not a correct comparo but there you have the US market at least having a Fairmont Ghia and more so to speak on US$100k and where at A$90 about for this.
    Like it or not im being dragged into this space by virtue of lack of options and market direction.

I wouldnt exactly call it choice.

Be it a high Performance SUV or High Performance Twin Cab its likely the next car after Sprint will be from one of these 2 ssegments.

Barring a mirracle that Ford come to market with a high Performance Sedan or wagon thats where it sits.

If Ford want to retain me they need to bring something to the table that meets my needs.

A Baja truck aint going to get my $$, nor will a soccer mum shopping trolley.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    Yeah but at some point I will again have to. Although the Pursuit only has 32,000km on it so there is no mad rush.

You see the thing is Ranger fo me is almost there. XLT 4x4 Auto with leather & tech pack options, that ticks all the boxes til I open the hood. I like the old fashioned style of the XLT over the Wildtrack. But that's just me.

But for Raptor money I'd just go buy an SRT Jeep. Sure it wont off road as well as the Raptor, but I just do the occasional Country dirt road and 11ty billion inner city speed humps so it will work fine for me. It is horses for courses and the SRT would do. But I'm a a tight A these days and dont want to spend 90k+ If I could get an XLT with 5.0 N/a would be fine at $65/70k I'd be there.

Sadly I get the feeling I'd be there by myself.
    As a Pink Floyd fan I get mad when I see vegans eating pudding.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elks For This Useful Post:

Perko (9th February 2018)

I think the Raptor is what the Wildtrax should have been. Maybe I'm selling it short but with that engine its a $65- $75k offering, opposed to the a $80,000-$85,000 quoted)

Hard to compare it to an SRT as its such a different type of vehicle. The only similarity is they are both large, can go off road and have 4 x 4. I would never want to do the things I could do in the Raptor, in a SRT. It would just ruin it, but I have little to no confidence in their reliability. Not something you want to be thinking about in the middle of no-where.

As a town/surburn vehicle, with the occassional off road trip the SRT wins for both speed and comfort. But there is still that reliability cloud over it. For $90k I would be looking at the Toyota Landcruiser GXL 4.5 DTV8
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Like it or not im being dragged into this space by virtue of lack of options and market direction.

I wouldnt exactly call it choice.

Be it a high Performance SUV or High Performance Twin Cab its likely the next car after Sprint will be from one of these 2 ssegments.

Barring a mirracle that Ford come to market with a high Performance Sedan or wagon thats where it sits.

If Ford want to retain me they need to bring something to the table that meets my needs.

A Baja truck aint going to get my $$, nor will a soccer mum shopping trolley.
    I agree. Ford Australia do not have anything in their range that I would buy.

The ironic thing is that they have two cars in their US stable I'd buy in a heartbeat; 2.7 ecoboost Fusion sport and 2.7 ecoboost Endura (Edge) sport.

I hear you guys very well, Norm,Tony and now PG2.
    I play devils advocate purely on the base's that numbers don't lie the market turns and yes Ford have like minded types as us in a corner regards options.
    Mustang is the same for me - I like 4doors for now but sticking to Raptor.
    Tony I could live with your optioned up XLT with a TV6 better still a V8 daily ! so thats 2 of us
    Even though the SRT is not a apples and apples comparo re usage as Colville states but I agree, for that kind of hard earned a SRT would do me fine - my offroading is beach/light dunes duties when on that type of holiday not in the middle of no where and manymany are similar - Colville, the Jeep and most AWD can do this within reason incl AWD Terris.
    Heck I've seen AWD Liberties loaded with people on deep thick sand beach's that I was amazed they could do it.
    Issues being stuck or caught on the beach - you don't know how many people would come by and help its amazing so you won't be left for the tide coming up and wash your computer broken down Jeep away - got to be better than calling Ford care lol.......
    The X4 Norm mentioned is another - it would do both easily.
    Spending up to A$90k on this ? not me but it does look the part now for those inclined and I'm glad its Ford who has brought it to the party.
    You see, the many prospective buyers arn't us Ford types of old, they will lap this up is my punt and I hope so.
    If numbers are good we might then get more powa in the future.
    The other point is - if this brings in NEW buyers what Ford need to do is have as mentioned some proper hipo SUV's for once these Raptor buyers are in the showrooms the Mrs's see's a sporty SUV, not vanilla.

C, good point regards to Wildtrak excl the Fox set up but more powa and the finish of Raptor.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

X4 Performance is deceptive too, 0-100 in 5.5 seconds. A lot of performance for 70k.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    X4 Performance is deceptive too, 0-100 in 5.5 seconds. A lot of performance for 70k.
    and overall package incl brand but were going to personal pref whereas we got to give Raptor its due (despite its motor) and this is going to set a new standing in our market as never seen and is putting the challenge out to the other OE's in this segment which will be very interesting to see eventuate.
    It may even bring something thats wished for in the future.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

I like the seats.

It’s not about the fracking engine so leave us alone- Ford.

Article stolen from Facebook - sue me

Ford Performance’s chief engineer has reacted to criticism of the brand’s choice of powerplant for the new Ranger Raptor, saying that the fresh-faced off-roading bakkie is “not about the engine”.

Revealed in Thailand, the new Ranger Raptor employs a 2,0-litre four-cylinder twin-turbo diesel engine worth 157 kW and 500 N.m. While those peak outputs best the existing 3,2-litre five-cylinder turbodiesel mill by 10 kW and 30 N.m, they also see the Ranger Raptor trail the likes of the highest-output Volkswagen Amarok V6 (165 kW/550 N.m) and the upcoming Mercedes-Benz X350d (190 kW and 550 N.m)

Speaking to South African media after the reveal in Bangkok, Jamal Hameedi, chief engineer at Ford Performance, said that the focus should not be on power.

“The Raptor is not about the engine. It’s about the chassis. Those shocks cost as much as an engine … literally,” he said, referring to special Fox Racing dampers.

“If you’re talking about power; if you’re focused on power, that’s not a Raptor. That’s not what Raptor’s about. It’s about the chassis and the suspension,” added Hameedi, who has been responsible for the development and delivery of all high-performance Ford vehicles globally since 2013.

The Ranger Raptor uses a new 10-speed automatic transmission, with drive sent to all four corners. The beefed-up bakkie offers as many as six distinct driving modes, and features coilover rear suspension with a Watt’s link arrangement. Ford has yet to reveal performance figures.

“And, honestly, when you go off-road, the whole idea behind this is conservation of speed. So, you’re not braking, accelerating, braking, accelerating. You just need a powerplant to keep you going,” Hameedi said.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast