Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford Performance boss hints at gas-powered Ranger Raptor for US

Ford Performance boss hints at gas-powered Ranger Raptor for US

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-raptor-for-us

When Ford on Wednesday took the covers off its new Ranger Raptor, the question on everyone's lips was whether we'll see it in the United States.

That's still to be determined but the head engineer at Ford Performance has hinted strongly at the Ranger Raptor making its way to the states, and with a gasoline engine instead of the 210-horsepower diesel 4-banger it was revealed with.

Speaking with Drive, Jamal Hameedi, Ford Performance chief vehicle engineer, said the Ranger Raptor would be a hit in the U.S. but would require a gasoline engine, even though he thinks the diesel is the right choice for the rest of the world.

“Raptors are a slam dunk for the U.S.; I think [the Ranger Raptor] would do really well in the states, Hameedi said in an interview published Friday. “I think most American off-roaders would actually prefer a petrol gas engine, but a diesel is the absolute way to go for the rest of the world.”

2019 Ford Ranger Raptor2019 Ford Ranger Raptor
    Interestingly, Hameedi described the handling of the Ranger Raptor as being better than on any other pickup he's driven, including the F-150 Raptor. He praised the smaller truck's new Watts Link rear suspension, which again he said would make the Ranger Raptor well-suited to the U.S.

“[The Ranger Raptor] really is the best handling pickup truck I’ve driven and not by an insignificant margin,” Hameedi said. “The watt’s link and everything, I think it would go pretty well in America.”

When asked by Drive why Ford hasn't announced the Ranger Raptor for the U.S., Hameedi's response was that Ford's priority right now is ensuring the rest of the world finally has access to a Raptor of some sort.

Should it come here, Ford has two worthy gas engines that would ensure the Ranger Raptor has enough oomph without stepping on the toes of its big brother. One is the 2.3-liter turbocharged inline-4 of the Mustang EcoBoost, which produces 310 horsepower and 320 pound-feet of torque (or as much as 350 hp and 350 lb-ft in the Focus RS); the other is the 2.7-liter twin-turbocharged V-6 of the Fusion Sport, which produces 325 hp and 350 lb-ft. As a reminder, the F-150 Raptor comes with a 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged V-6 with 450 hp and 510 lb-ft.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

and another:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/02/10/...r-ecoboost-us/

U.S. enthusiasts watching the Ford Ranger Raptor have 1.5 questions about Ford's new baby Baja truck. The matter of American launch is only half a question – almost everyone expects it here, timing being the known unknown. The chief engineer at Ford Performance, Jamal Hameedi, bolstered such expectations when he told Australian outlet Drive during the launch in Bangkok, "Raptors are a slam dunk for the U.S. I think it [the Ranger Raptor] would do really well in the States." He added, however, that since the U.S. already has the F-150 Raptor, "our first priority is to get a Raptor available to everyone on the planet earth."

The high-octane question is what kind of engine a U.S.-market Ranger Raptor would utilize. The overseas model gets on with a 2.0-liter twin-turbo diesel based on the lump sold in the European Ford Transit. That motor makes 210 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque, re-engineered for throttle response and durability during fast-paced, hot-weather work. Even with improved reflexes, that engine wouldn't suit our buyers, Hameedi saying, "I think most American off-roaders would actually prefer a petrol gas engine, but a diesel is the absolute way to go for the rest of the world."

When we surveyed the possible range of engines for the standard Ranger, we wondered whether the Ranger would be a one-engine truck, sticking with the 2.3-liter EcoBoost shared with the Mustang and Focus RS. We don't have exact power numbers yet, but based on Ford's claim of class-leading numbers, we assume something a little more than 308 horsepower to keep the Ranger ahead of the Chevrolet Colorado, and more than 281 pound-feet to keep it ahead of the Nissan Frontier. If Ford stuck with that engine for a U.S. Ranger Raptor, Performance engineers would have plenty of room between those numbers and the F-150 Raptor's 450 hp and 510 lb-ft. A long-shot option is the 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 in the standard F-150, which would offer more relaxed power but more weight in the nose.

Power isn't how the Ranger Raptor does its thing, though, proved by the overseas diesel output. Hameedi said of that truck's performance, "It's the suspension, it is so incredible [with] the Watt's link. It really is the best handling pick-up truck I've driven and not by an insignificant margin." Notice, he didn't make an exception for the F-150 Raptor, so a tweaked 2.3-liter might be all we need for a Ranger Raptor to impress. For starters at least.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

and another:

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...-raptor-117195

“Raptors are a slam dunk for the US,” he told Drive. “I think it [the Ranger Raptor] would do really well in the states.

“No, no way, no way, [its size would be] perfect.

“I think it’s certainly like it’s a baby Raptor, it depends what you’re looking for. There are a lot of people that just want that size in a pickup truck and they don’t want anything larger.”

The appeal, according to Hameedi, is the ability of the Raptor to tackle rough roads and Baja-like desert jumps at pace, though he admits the new 2.0-litre twin-turbo diesel engine wouldn’t be as suitable in Ford's home market.

“It’s the suspension, it is so incredible [with] the Watt’s link. It really is the best handling pick-up truck I’ve driven and not by an insignificant margin. The watt’s link and everything, I think it would go pretty well in America,” he said.

“I think most American off-roaders would actually prefer a petrol gas engine, but a diesel is the absolute way to go for the rest of the world.”
    Personally i think Most Australians would prefer a petrol gas engine....

Not sure why he thinks a diesel is the way to go everywhere else....

The first question i have is where did he get the intel that a low powered Diesel would be a preferred engine over a higher powered petrol engine for Australia, where in contrast he acknowledges the Petrol would be the preferred option and the diesel wouldnt cut it in the states??

Is it the same people who told them nobody would buy a GT350 here and we dont want to go motor racing?

Enjoying FOA's Final Masterpiece Perko's Avatar
    Once again Norm Ford prove why they can't make headway in Australia. They do not understand or ,more importantly, want to understand their markets. They want data that supports their beliefs. Given our performance background how they think we would be happy with a diesel Raptor still makes me giggle. Is it market arrogance or management stupidity? You be the judge....
    Ford Heritage : KF Laser, XF Ute, XH Tradesman Ute, EL Futura, AU2 Ute, XD Ute, XH XR6 Ute, BA XR8 Ute, SX Territory, BF XR8 Sedan, EB2 S XR6, EB1 S XR8, WQ Fiesta, FGX XR8, PX2 Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Perko View Post
    Once again Norm Ford prove why they can't make headway in Australia. They do not understand or ,more importantly, want to understand their markets. They want data that supports their beliefs. Given our performance background how they think we would be happy with a diesel Raptor still makes me giggle. Is it market arrogance or management stupidity? You be the judge....
    Well it's either one of 2 things, either the regions asked for Diesel or the US made that decision for us.

If someone from FoA went to the product planning table with data to suggest a 157kw 2.0L Diesel is the best option they need their head read.

Jamal speaks though like it was a FP decision.

Either way I'd love to know how they arrived at that decision in light of Jamals comments re the US consumer preferring petrol.

Enjoying FOA's Final Masterpiece Perko's Avatar
    I think that if the Ranger was going to the US then petrol was always on the cards. Only an absolute idiot would not do it. I think it is a case that the diesel was decided internationally early and Ford deliberately have not said anything for the first 72 hours because the engine was a known marketing issue. However, they will go with the well worn path of deflect and give the market what Ford wants, then come back 18 months later and wonder why it didn't reach the heights that they intended.

With me and Ford the relationship has sadly lost its passion. I have the XR8 and that was the last emotional buy that I will make. Their product line and marketing has not seemed to address what the market wants. They are blindly throwing ideas on the table hoping one will stick. For me it is now a car company. If the model fits the purpose then great I will buy it. However I will no longer look for excuses to provide preferential treatment over another badge. The Raptor once again is a product that sparks interest and hope, then dies when released. What makes it worse is if the US gets the petrol version (which they will). Then I know that the product I wanted was within reach but Dearborn don't think we are worthy once again. So it comes down to now product features and price for my next purchases. Not a good direction for a company that wants to value add.
    Ford Heritage : KF Laser, XF Ute, XH Tradesman Ute, EL Futura, AU2 Ute, XD Ute, XH XR6 Ute, BA XR8 Ute, SX Territory, BF XR8 Sedan, EB2 S XR6, EB1 S XR8, WQ Fiesta, FGX XR8, PX2 Ranger

Diesel has had it's day. It is a great way to power a truck, or tow heavy things and will give you good economy if you're like Perko and do a zillion miles a years.

But it's difficult to meet meet emissions standards and maintain performance. Just ask VW. So we get EGR, DPF's and Add Blue systems combined with multiple turbo's to make it all work to an acceptable level. The 157kw ranger engine is best described as acceptable. Additionally these sound like cars that will be very expensive to own with 200,000 km on them.

A 2.7 Ecoboost or 5.0 Coyote would add flair that is needed. But even if you stayed with an oil burner, a 3.0 Powerstroke would at least give the marketing guys something to talk about.
    As a Pink Floyd fan I get mad when I see vegans eating pudding.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elks For This Useful Post:

Randel (13th February 2018)

Validated User
    What can I say....
    2017 FORD PXII WILDTRAK 4X4
    2016 FORD FGX XR6 SPRINT LE TURBO 325
    2016 FORD LZ FOCUS SPORT
    2017 SEADOO RXT300RS JETSKI

Quote Originally Posted by Elks View Post
    Diesel has had it's day. It is a great way to power a truck, or tow heavy things and will give you good economy if you're like Perko and do a zillion miles a years.

But it's difficult to meet meet emissions standards and maintain performance. Just ask VW. So we get EGR, DPF's and Add Blue systems combined with multiple turbo's to make it all work to an acceptable level. The 157kw ranger engine is best described as acceptable. Additionally these sound like cars that will be very expensive to own with 200,000 km on them.

A 2.7 Ecoboost or 5.0 Coyote would add flair that is needed. But even if you stayed with an oil burner, a 3.0 Powerstroke would at least give the marketing guys something to talk about.
    +1 and I own a diesel car.

I been having a bit of a Hoon in my old man's Fiesta ST and if that option was available to me back in 2011 no way in hell would I have gone diesel.

1L/100km more fuel usage for the same torque and another 50KW odd (car has Mountune option) - sign me up.

Mind you my last 3 cars have all been V8s as well.

Diesel is a waste of time in anything that's not a 4x4 and even then I'm questioning it.

I had that many cars come through my workshop with DPF faults where the repairs were going to cost $3-$10K for replacement DPFs.

One was a one year old VW Golf TDI where the lady just scooted around town in and fucked the DPF which wasn't covered under warranty - it's a filter.

I'm not really interested in new cars as I play with all of mine but Ford has nothing in their range that interests me aside from EB Mustang.

Mind you either does Holden.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast