Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford Performance boss hints at gas-powered Ranger Raptor for US

Yes. Diesel is really the fuel of industrial and low performance equipment now.

The elevated maintenance and service costs V Petrol are really a put-off too.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Enjoying FOA's Final Masterpiece Perko's Avatar
    Once again for me it is what does the badge require? For the normal Ranger the diesel is perfect. Acceptable performance, good torque, and acceptable economy. It chews the kilometres and the overall package is perfect for what I need. The Raptor is different. The suspensions should be better, appearance aggressive and performance a big step up. Whether that form is diesel or petrol to be honest I don't care. But the current engine does not do this. So for me it fails.
    Ford Heritage : KF Laser, XF Ute, XH Tradesman Ute, EL Futura, AU2 Ute, XD Ute, XH XR6 Ute, BA XR8 Ute, SX Territory, BF XR8 Sedan, EB2 S XR6, EB1 S XR8, WQ Fiesta, FGX XR8, PX2 Ranger

The next obvious question is why the F150 needs driveline protection. It’s a different class of car, way bigger and unlikely to be a competitor to the ranger unless they know already the f150 sells because there is no alternative, the excess is supported via a choice and providing that choice will cost US jobs.

Easy. Make ranger in the US.

But.

The rest of the world doesn’t get 150 so for the rest of the world there needs to be no protection at all
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Quote Originally Posted by HSE2 View Post
    The next obvious question is why the F150 needs driveline protection. It’s a different class of car, way bigger and unlikely to be a competitor to the ranger unless they know already the f150 sells because there is no alternative, the excess is supported via a choice and providing that choice will cost US jobs.

Easy. Make ranger in the US.

But.

The rest of the world doesn’t get 150 so for the rest of the world there needs to be no protection at all
    So to expand that out maybe the US need to get the TT 2.0 and we get the 2.7 TTV6...

That's the fairest way to protect the F150 Raptor owners....
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    So to expand that out maybe the US need to get the TT 2.0 and we get the 2.7 TTV6...

That's the fairest way to protect the F150 Raptor owners....
    It’s just a mess.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Quote Originally Posted by HSE2 View Post
    It’s just a mess.
    Its hard to fathom a model having such vastly different engine types depending on region.

Does any other automotive company offer a completely different engine for the same product model depending on region?

Cant see AMG offering a TTV6 Diesel in the C63 while it comes with a TTV8...

I can kinda see his point regarding diesel being the better option, kind of.

I think they just chose the Wrong diesel. All the development costs for the 2.0 and it gains 3/5ths of fuck all over the old 3.2. I wonder how the 3.2 would respond, as agricultural as it is, to the same development and e ten speed hanging off it...

If you look at 4x4 sales history in Australia when ever there's a choice between diesel and petrol the diesel almost always outsells the petrol by a significant margin.
    The right diesel would be accepted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by defective View Post
    I can kinda see his point regarding diesel being the better option, kind of.

I think they just chose the Wrong diesel. All the development costs for the 2.0 and it gains 3/5ths of fuck all over the old 3.2. I wonder how the 3.2 would respond, as agricultural as it is, to the same development and e ten speed hanging off it...

If you look at 4x4 sales history in Australia when ever there's a choice between diesel and petrol the diesel almost always outsells the petrol by a significant margin.
    The right diesel would be accepted.
    There already is an aftermarket chip calibration that gets the standard 2.0 Panther up to the power level of the Raptor
    and then another custom tune that goes way beyond those power and torque levels (240 w and 571 nm)

On the 3.2:
    Before: 147 w / 470 nm
    After: 169 Kw / 525 nm
    Max power: 186 Kw / 604 nm

https://www.chipexpress.com/products...ng-boxes/4982/

Validated User
    I think the real story behind Ranger Raptor was that it was designed for everywhere else
    except Australasia and South Africa but thinking the sway of diesel in the latter two markets
    would carry the day.......

lowest common denominator stuff to justify maximum sales across all regions

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

defective (12th February 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    I think the real story behind Ranger Raptor was that it was designed for everywhere else
    except Australasia and South Africa but thinking the sway of diesel in the latter two markets
    would carry the day.......lowest common denominator stuff to carry the day.
    Thatís been my suspicion since it was confirmed that the 2.0 was legit. Built for the Asian market and the Australian market sales are just a secondary thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to defective For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (12th February 2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast