Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Diesel Question of use......

The Diesel Question of use......

YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

4Vman (15th February 2018)

Article:

February 04 2018 Finding No. 7478 Topic: Press Release Country: Australia
    The recent scandal involving German automakers testing diesel exhaust fumes on monkeys in a laboratory to prove newer model diesel fuel vehicles aren’t carcinogenic has turned the spotlight on diesel fuel.

The popularity of diesel fuel vehicles has fallen slightly in recent years with 45% of Australians saying they would seriously consider buying a diesel fuel vehicle down from 50% two years ago when several foreign auto makers were in the news for falsifying emissions on their vehicles; including diesel fuel models.

The consideration of diesel fuel vehicles trails the appeal of hybrid vehicles on 52%, although is still in excess of electric vehicles on 37%, and well ahead of LPG vehicles on 21%. The buying preferences of Australians in a broader sense are covered in more detail in the latest Roy Morgan Automotive Buying intentions release available to view here.

Analysing Australians that mostly drive diesel fuel vehicles shows 1.13 million reside in capital cities and 1.10 million in country areas although the differing populations between the two means country Australians are 36% more likely to drive a diesel fuel vehicle than the average Australian equivalent to an index value of 136.

Nearly a third of Australia’s diesel fuel vehicles are driven by either semi/unskilled workers (18.3%) or skilled workers (14.4%) with both over-represented as drivers while a further 22.5% are professionals/managers.

Although farmers represent less than 2% of all diesel fuel vehicle drivers they are the most over-represented – 185% more likely to drive a diesel fuel vehicle than the average Australian equivalent to an index value of 285.

Diesel fuel drivers over-represented in country areas and Queensland & WA

Analysing Australia’s diesel fuel vehicle drivers by Helix Personas reveals Leading Lifestyles drive more diesel fuel vehicles than any other Persona although as Australia’s largest cohort a Leading Lifestyler is still 6% less likely to drive a diesel fuel vehicle than the average Australian with an equivalent Index value of 94.

In comparison, the most over-represented drivers of diesel fuel vehicles are represented by members of Today’s Families with an index value of 140, Golden Years with an index value of 120 and Aussie Achievers with an Index value of 112.

The heavily urbanised and younger Metrotechs are a huge 42% less likely to drive a diesel fuel vehicle than the average Australian and comprise only 6.2% of those Australians who mostly drive a diesel fuel vehicle.

What types of diesel vehicles do Australians drive?

Analysing the diesel vehicles Australians drive reveals the most popular type of diesel vehicle in Australia is the SUV driven by 40.7% of Australians who primarily drive a diesel vehicle. Leading SUV diesel vehicles include Mazda CX-5, Hyundai Tucson and Toyota RAV4.

Just over a quarter of Australians, 25.2%, who primarily drive diesel vehicles drive utes including models such as the Holden Colorado, Mitsubishi Triton and Volkswagen Amarok while a further 21.4% drive diesel engine four door sedans or station wagons such as the Ford Mondeo and VW Passat.

Although sales of diesel fuel vehicles are very evenly split between city dwellers and those in country and regional areas there are differences between the types of diesel fuel vehicles each drive. City dwellers are especially attracted to SUVs, four-door sedans and people movers whereas country Australians favour utes and two-door sedans.

Michele Levine, CEO, Roy Morgan, says the latest scandal involving German automotive manufacturers testing diesel exhaust on monkeys puts a spotlight on diesel vehicles:

“Over 2.23 million Australians drive diesel fuel vehicles including SUVs such as the Mazda CX-5, Hyundai Tucson and Toyota RAV4 and 45% of Australians say they would seriously consider buying a diesel fuel vehicle.

“The spread of diesel fuel vehicles in Australia is split down the middle between those in the city and country but city-dwellers favour SUVs, four door sedans and people movers whilst country Australians favour utes and two-door sedans and are 36% more likely to drive a diesel fuel vehicle than the average Australian.

“Diesel fuel vehicles are most over-represented in the vehicle fleets in Australia’s two largest States by area of WA and Queensland, although NSW as the largest State has more diesel vehicle drivers in total, almost 650,000, than any other State.

“Analysing Australians who drive diesel fuel vehicles by the psychographic segmentation tool Helix Personas shows that although the largest single Helix Persona for diesel fuel vehicles is Leading Lifestyles comprising 22.9% of diesel fuel drivers over half of Australia’s diesel fuel vehicles are driven by Battlers (19.3%), Today’s Families (17.0%) or Golden Years (13.5%) and all three of these Helix Personas are over-represented as diesel drivers.

“It’s yet to be seen whether the latest scandal involving German manufacturers testing diesel exhaust on monkeys, and consenting humans, will have a negative impact on the sale of diesel engine vehicles in Australia.”
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Turning those statistics around:

The popularity of diesel fuel vehicles has fallen slightly in recent years with 45% of Australians saying they would seriously consider buying a diesel fuel vehicle down from 50% two years ago
    So in the past 2 years Diesel populrity has dropped 10%.

45% of Australians say they would seriously consider buying a diesel fuel vehicle.
    Which means 55% of Australians would NOT consider buying a diesel.

In summary, Diesel popularity has dropped 10% in the past 2 years and the majority of Australians now would NOT consider a diesel.

Looks like a trend to me.

As an automive business you'd want to be seeing around 55% of your sales from Petrol vehicles.....
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

As it currently stands based on sales:

Ford sales trend:

Diesel (4,883) 56%

Petrol (3801) 44%

Ford need to focus on improving their Petrol Vehicle sales.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Futura (15th February 2018)

Validated User
    I think that this is a carefully orchestrated back and forth between diesel and petrol
    that could have it source in elevated diesel prices as well as manufacturers delivering
    more efficient petrol cars and SUVs, the pick ups then retaliate with diesels like Ford's
    new 2.0 litre panther that claims to improve fuel economy 10% over the outgoing 2.2.

I don't think it needs to be an either / or choice, the market is big enough for both to exist
    but it's interesting to see buyer preferences switch when the advantages of diesel is being
    swallowed up in higher fuel prices.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

4Vman (14th February 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    As it currently stands based on sales:

Ford sales trend:

Diesel (4,883) 56%

Petrol (3801) 44%

Ford need to focus on improving their Petrol Vehicle sales.
    When Ford's biggest seller only comes in Diesel, they're in trouble.

I like Diesel. I like the torque, and I like the fuel economy. If a Petrol engine can have both, and be as durable and long lived as Diesel, then I will switch back. As it stands, my Passat is Diesel, and whatever I buy next will also probably be Diesel.
    Deutschland, Deutschland über alles
    Volkswagen Number 3 - Passat Alltrack 130TDi

Quote Originally Posted by Paxton View Post
    When Ford's biggest seller only comes in Diesel, they're in trouble.

I like Diesel. I like the torque, and I like the fuel economy. If a Petrol engine can have both, and be as durable and long lived as Diesel, then I will switch back. As it stands, my Passat is Diesel, and whatever I buy next will also probably be Diesel.
    Makes sense from a daily driver perspective, the engine may be tough as nails but the DPF and stupidly expensive fuel injection components will fail well before and put you off the road well before you have engine trouble.

I guess if you are turning your car over within warranty period it's not a big deal.

Modern unleaded forced induction engines with VCT and GDI will give you 90% of diesel torque from about the same RPM anyway without the bullshit emissions equipment and fuel injection system running at circa 25,000-30,000 PSI that DI diesel does - yes they still use high pressure systems but not to the same extent diesel does.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Franco Cozzo For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (15th February 2018),Paxton (15th February 2018)

Diesel has its place no doubt.

Primarily industrial based uses, A-B transportation and off-road applications.

As soon as performance comes into the equation the balance swings the way of Petrol, the more performance you require, you more the need for a Petrol solution.

In all honesty there shouldn't be anything coming from Ford Performance that is diesel powered.

Fair enough points Pax and more so Franco.
    Diesel for me average consumer surburbia wise shouldn't even be considered unless your doing HIGH k's and mind you a good portion open road.
    Other than that its a waste of time money - people are sold up on good k's from a tank and the great L/100 sell on the screen sticker but have no idea the extra costs long term compared to petrol and worse once as mentioned DPF's and Injectors etc are clogged up. They are sold up.

Norm, I agree but do you recall Audi's sweeping the floor at LeMans with diesels - yep this is high end stuff but it sure proved its pulling power and reliability at that time, just saying.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    Fair enough points Pax and more so Franco.
    Diesel for me average consumer surburbia wise shouldn't even be considered unless your doing HIGH k's and mind you a good portion open road.
    Other than that its a waste of time money - people are sold up on good k's from a tank and the great L/100 sell on the screen sticker but have no idea the extra costs long term compared to petrol and worse once as mentioned DPF's and Injectors etc are clogged up. They are sold up.

Norm, I agree but do you recall Audi's sweeping the floor at LeMans with diesels - yep this is high end stuff but it sure proved its pulling power and reliability at that time, just saying.
    There will always be exceptions Maurie, and im pretty sure Audi dumped that program after 1 race.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast