Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Diesel Question of use......

Quote Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
    Makes sense from a daily driver perspective, the engine may be tough as nails but the DPF and stupidly expensive fuel injection components will fail well before and put you off the road well before you have engine trouble.

I guess if you are turning your car over within warranty period it's not a big deal.

Modern unleaded forced induction engines with VCT and GDI will give you 90% of diesel torque from about the same RPM anyway without the bullshit emissions equipment and fuel injection system running at circa 25,000-30,000 PSI that DI diesel does - yes they still use high pressure systems but not to the same extent diesel does.
    Used cars for me are a three year perspective. Buy them with a glimmer of factory warranty left, get whatever needs fixing fixed, then drive them.

I do around 1,000 Kms a fortnight and a fair whack of that is at highway speeds, so the DPF will get a recharge fortnightly. If this things is going late in 2020 I will consider it a good purchase, and will then look at something else.

That being said, my X3 with the 3.0 in it is still not yet bettered by the 3.5i X3 for either torque or economy - I won't buy a Petrol SUV until that happens.
    Deutschland, Deutschland über alles
    Volkswagen Number 3 - Passat Alltrack 130TDi

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    There will always be exceptions Maurie, and im pretty sure Audi dumped that program after 1 race.
    Dumped not in the way you may think - due to Diesel gate to a degree BUT more so pumping their resource to Electric programs R&D etc.
    I was just pointing out that diesel can be powerful as all would know and economical for a showroom floor offering not that I care for one.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Your buying way is the smart way Pax, the problem is most consumers ie soccer mums etc for eg don't do enough k's, if so only surburbia stop start driving and keep them for a long/er ownership cycle hence costs costs costs and then make the decision this car is crap lets trade it in.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxton View Post
    Used cars for me are a three year perspective. Buy them with a glimmer of factory warranty left, get whatever needs fixing fixed, then drive them.

I do around 1,000 Kms a fortnight and a fair whack of that is at highway speeds, so the DPF will get a recharge fortnightly. If this things is going late in 2020 I will consider it a good purchase, and will then look at something else.

That being said, my X3 with the 3.0 in it is still not yet bettered by the 3.5i X3 for either torque or economy - I won't buy a Petrol SUV until that happens.
    I'm doing approx 700km a week commuting to and from Melbourne for work depending on what car I take fuel costs me approx $35-$250/week.

My Focus has had a leaky injector for about 40,000km, car has just under 140,000km on it, they're $1100+ per injector, they need to be replaced as a set and then Ford needs to program them to the car.

I'm not spending $4400+ GST + programming on a car worth $5K tops - I'm just at the point where I'm neglecting it until it dies and it's going to SIMS metal.

How common are diesel injector failures? Ask anyone with a KUN26R Hilux with the 3L engine or 79 series Land Cruiser with 4.5L - I've seen too much of this bullshit happening.

I'm doing approx 700km a week commuting to and from Melbourne for work depending on what car I take fuel costs me approx $35-$250/week.

My Focus has had a leaky injector for about 40,000km, car has just under 140,000km on it, they're $1100+ per injector, they need to be replaced as a set and then Ford needs to program them to the car.

I'm not spending $4400+ GST + programming on a car worth $5K tops - I'm just at the point where I'm neglecting it until it dies and it's going to SIMS metal.

How common are diesel injector failures? Ask anyone with a KUN26R Hilux with the 3L engine or 79 series Land Cruiser with 4.5L - I've seen too much of this bullshit happening.
    You need an AU in your life, self healing.....
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (16th February 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    You need an AU in your life, self healing.....
    I'd identify as a non binary unicorn and take the train to work before that happens

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Franco Cozzo For This Useful Post:

4Vman (16th February 2018),Randel (18th February 2018)

I'd identify as a non binary unicorn and take the train to work before that happens
    That hurts the sensitive feelings of every au lover on the planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

Validated User
    Brings up the point of the aging diesel, everyone just expects them to keep going
    but what happens when you get a hefty bill like Franco said or the trans cries uncle.
    Gotta love the death spiral of some modern vehicles..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12