Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Raptor Engine choice.

Validated User
    Take that a step further and consider all potential sales in not only Australia
    but Asia, Africa and Europe. The 2.0 diesel probably makes sense when all
    of those customers are combined, we just happen to fall on the cusp of the
    market change to petrol engines.

IMO both petrol and diesel would do well here but all we can hope for is that
    Ford's future planning on next product cycle is more encompassing of all customers.

Validated User
    I wonder if anyone has feedback on orders placed with dealers,
    it would be interesting to know how many bites Ford is getting...

Quote Originally Posted by Perko View Post
    I agree. We are not the target. Whether we should be is a continuing argument. The Raptor looks great both externally and internally. 95% of the chat online are from people that would not fork out the money for one even if Ford changed the motor. It will do well and I wish Ford the best of luck. They are having a go.
    That's a good point, I'm certainly one of those that have been vocal about the engine choice and I'm not going to buy one.

With my personal circumstances I can see me only ever buying one brand new car, I thought the magnum was going to be it but it wasn't to be.
    In hindsight I wish I had grabbed one of the last xr8s ( not the sprint necessarily ) but I procrastinated too long. But in general there is no car in the ford catalogue that I aspire to one day own.
    Yes I'd like a mustang, but I'm not gonna spend 60k on one.
    Same as a Rs focus.
    Raptor is too expensive for me, and wrong spec. If it had a class leading engine option it may have been a different option and I'd have been back doing the sums. But realistically it's always gonna be 20-25k outside my budget.

Stinger is another one, it's a great car but I don't aspire to own one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by defective View Post
    It is somewhat ironic that the hsv Colorado gets decent Ap racing brakes, and the raptor doesn't seem to have a premium brake set up.
    It will be interesting to see what one fares better in the market place. Iirc the hsv rrp is around 65-70k? So potentially there won't be a huge price difference.

With the engine choice, I just can't justify in my head having the ford performance branded offering as seemingly well set up as the raptor is but potentially being one of the slowest double cabs on the market...
    There's been a lot talk about how the ten speed should make the most of the 2.0s power but won't doesn't seem to be mentioned a lot is the weight.
    I reckon this thing is gonna be a porker. All those chassis mods, big shocks and springs, big wheels and tyres it all adds up.
    Excellent point on the brakes. This is something I too would want addressed
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Perko View Post
    I agree. We are not the target. Whether we should be is a continuing argument. The Raptor looks great both externally and internally. 95% of the chat online are from people that would not fork out the money for one even if Ford changed the motor. It will do well and I wish Ford the best of luck. They are having a go.
    Any time you have a segment that has been returning sales, loyalty repeat custom, itís incredible to think some effort wouldnít be put in to a degree of retention.

In this case, itís not just XR/FPV consumers, but also SS/HSV owners in the same boat looking for the next thing.

Raptor in the states appeals to a very broad client who isnít resticted by views of red or blue.

Itís like Mustang. All of a sudden Ford have the potential to attract outside brand loyalty with two products if they are done correctly.

But at what cost?

Absolutely. The business case has to stack up.

I would argue you have three models. Ranger, Everest and Bronco. God knows how many countries. Provide a niche no one else is doing and I suspect like the world response to mustang, the majority will go with image.

This recognises there is nothing wrong with this engine at all. 157 / 500 out of a turbo 4 is a cracking engine.

Just not in something that comes with the Ford Performance brand. This is like putting sensible shoes on somebody who shouts. Ford Performance is about excess, exclusivity, bespoke underpinnings, designed to boost the ego and serve with passion.

If this car wasnít called a raptor and wasnít from Ford Performance, my issues largely disappear. I am left if it would be close enough to what I drive now to be satisfactory. I suspect itís not, but would drive it.

The branding issues sees it as confused and inconsistent. I expect more from this brand and I think our market understands this better than others. We lived this, we were educated on this.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Quote Originally Posted by HSE2 View Post
    Excellent point on the brakes. This is something I too would want addressed
    The minimal power and no brake upgrade says to me this is clearly a product aimed at the off-road enthusiast.

Which regions is it being sold in?

This product might be aimed at the Australian market, but not at anyone I know.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

From what Iíve seen online big brake kits are a very common upgrade on the f150 raptors.
    While the stock ones are fine for dirt, the market is similar to here in that a large percentage will never see anything more extreme than a gravel car park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by defective View Post
    From what I’ve seen online big brake kits are a very common upgrade on the f150 raptors.
    While the stock ones are fine for dirt, the market is similar to here in that a large percentage will never see anything more extreme than a gravel car park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You forgot the medium strip inbetween roads.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VZTRT For This Useful Post:

defective (18th February 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by VZTRT View Post
    You forgot the medium strip inbetween roads.
    A very nice luxury believe me speed humps no problems - pot holes - its glorious not having to worry about rim/tyre damage

re brakes in dual cabs, everyone has their opinion obviously but having been used to 4doors sedans, with stock brakes brembos.
    Being the type of driver I am, most times over the regular speed limits because you can here in Sydney I obviously brake as late as poss.
    The stock product is not for me, are all woeful, I upgraded to slotted rotors performance pads (stock sizes) pretty soon after getting mine.
    Improves the braking by 20% easy and gives me some form of confidence thats for sure.
    Those owners who upgrade to larger rim/tyre packages add on bucket loads of extra weight, those stock brakes would be struggling big time for me, slotted and pads at least makes it bearable and a must for them imo and Raptor should be as so.
    I've never noticed if the USA Raptors ever came out with optioned up brake packages as we've had since T3 (2002) days.
    Raptor needs a real motor, twin zorst out the back, its missing features for that money I won't be buying one.
    Last edited by FTe217; 18th February 2018 at 08:55 PM.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123