Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holden suspend TTV6 Supercar engine program.

Holden suspend TTV6 Supercar engine program.

http://www.supercars.com/news/champi...?sf186345705=1

Holden has postponed development of its V6 turbo Supercars engine, declaring it will stick with its current V8 for the foreseeable future.

Originally scheduled to debut with the ZB Commodore in 2018, Holden declared midway through last year it would enter the V6 as a wildcard in selected races this year before a wider rollout in ’19.

In a statement, Holden marketing director Mark Harland stressed the marque’s commitment to Supercars and thanked Triple Eight for its efforts with the engine.

"At Holden we are always assessing the motorsport landscape,” he said.

“After working closely with all Holden teams we have decided to put a hold on the development of the V6 Supercars engine.

“We are 100 percent committed to motorsport and our sponsorship of the Red Bull Holden Racing Team and supporting all Holden teams in both the Supercars and SuperUte paddock.

“This is thanks to the monumental effort Holden and Triple Eight have put into engineering and developing the Holden Supercar and we remain committed to that advancement of motorsport engineering in what is one of the most technically advanced motorsport categories in the world.

“We’re excited to see how the all-new Commodore supercar is performing on the track and the interest the road car is getting in our showrooms. It’s a great car and we’re proud of it.”

Work on the 3.6 litre V6 started as long ago as 2016 at GM Racing’s engine facility in Michigan, USA, in partnership with factory Supercars team Triple Eight and its engine partner KRE.

The engine underwent a series of track tests aboard Triple Eight’ Sandman ride-car midway through last year, before making its public debut with a Bathurst demo in October.

Triple Eight owner Roland Dane said the decision allows the team to focus on winning races with its current V8-powered ZB package.

“We at Triple Eight are extremely proud of and grateful for the hard work and effort put in by all those involved in the development of the V6TT engine thus far,” he said.

“We’re very confident that the package would have been fully competitive and know that we have an extremely valuable bank of knowledge to refer to as and when a different engine platform is explored again in the future.

“For now we can turn our focus solely onto ensuring that the all-new 2018 Commodore is a race-winner for not just Triple Eight, but for our valued customers, partners and fans as well.”

Taking advantage of Supercars’ Gen2 rules, the Holden V6 was slated to be the first non-V8 to run in the ATCC/Supercars Championship in almost 25 years.

Supercars’ CEO Sean Seamer stressed forced induction engines are welcomed by the category as part of its Gen2 rules.

“Our current rules allow manufacturers and teams to implement various configurations of power plants,” he said.

“So, while the ZB won’t have a turbo engine configuration at the moment, it’s important that we, as a category, continue to build our learnings and expertise on forced induction.

“We look forward to continuing our great relationship with both Holden and the Teams, irrespective of what engine they choose to run.’
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (6th April 2018)

In other news Holden slumps to 10th in sales for March, sold 900 od Commodores of which VF2 outsold ZB.

Image taken from outside Holden this morning:

My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (6th April 2018),Futura (6th April 2018),Randel (6th April 2018)

All coming to the roost finally, long time after their US debacle but its finally come.
    I still can't understand how this company is still up and running in the first place.
    OK they got the US Gov handout, Chapter 9 saves everyone in the US as we know but HTF does this company keep afloat ?!
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

Elks (6th April 2018),Road_Warrior (6th April 2018)

GM really screwed the pooch by not following Ford's lead and making the Camaro factory RHD. That's where the series needs to go: Mustang v Camaro.
    "I'm a pretty proud driver of the Ford Falcon." - Mark Winterbottom.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoctorCleveland For This Useful Post:

4Vman (6th April 2018),Randel (6th April 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorCleveland View Post
    GM really screwed the pooch by not following Ford's lead and making the Camaro factory RHD. That's where the series needs to go: Mustang v Camaro.
    I think this is inevitable if the series is to survive.

I don't see the issue with them staying as a V8 series, if the fans want it give them what they want.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

13726548 (7th April 2018)

I think this is more about picking your battles. The ZB V8 race car is being successful which is one part of Holden's programme that is 'working' as per say. Given the pain in other areas, they are best to shift their focus towards addressing other pressing matter like getting more desirable, market relevant models in their showrooms.

Pushing the V6TT programme was most likely doing more harm than good. It is giving oxygen to yet another reason not to give the road going version a chance. Even if you cant buy a V8 race car version, its on track success may help to boost the road going models credability with traditional Commodore buyers. You cant buy V8 Falcon either but I do wonder how many sales of Mustang and Ranger are influenced by race fans.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

I guess given the lack luster sales interest in ZB, on top of the fact it will be canned by Peugeot in 3 years anyway Holden have decided why bother with the investment to align race to road.

There may have been extreme push back from the other ZB teams too having to lease the engine off Roland.

It does raise a very interesting question though, how much of the ZB Homologation, including this engine program was funded by Holden and not Roland?? Is Roland double dipping with the R+D cost included in the ZB composite kit @ $70K?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Perko (6th April 2018)

Enjoying FOA's Final Masterpiece Perko's Avatar
    Maybe my prediction may come through? They could run the ZB shape until Camaro shell gets sorted, but once again this would leave Roland out of pocket hugely for time and cost.
    Ford Heritage : KF Laser, XF Ute, XH Tradesman Ute, EL Futura, AU2 Ute, XD Ute, XH XR6 Ute, BA XR8 Ute, SX Territory, BF XR8 Sedan, EB2 S XR6, EB1 S XR8, WQ Fiesta, FGX XR8, PX2 Ranger

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorCleveland View Post
    I'd go one step further...

Mustang v Camaro v Skyline.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PG2 For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (6th April 2018)

Well, I hope things sort out for the better 2019 onwards regards our top racing thats for sure otherwise its up in poop.

I haven't seen 1 ZB on the road in my travels.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast