Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford has head start on Mustang Aero.

Ford has head start on Mustang Aero.

http://www.supercars.com/news/champi...?sf187312968=1

Ford Performance’s recent development of a Mustang GT4 serves as a head-start for aerodynamic work on a Supercars variant, says DJR Team Penske boss Ryan Story.

DJRTP’s competition director Ludo Lacroix will work closely with US-based Ford Performance over the coming months on producing a Supercars version of the Mustang.

Lacroix designed a succession of Supercars aero kits during his 2004-16 stint with Triple Eight, namely the BF and FG Falcons and VF and VFII Holdens.

Ford Performance is providing the Computational Fluid Dynamics resources, mimicking Triple Eight’s recent tie-up with UK-based Wirth Research on the ZB Holden Commodore.

Mustang GT4 Ford Performance_web 3

Supercars’ first two-door car, the Mustang must be homologated to fit within the category’s downforce and drag limits, ensuring a level playing field with the ZB and Nissan’s Altima.

The Mustang is, however, the first body shape to enter Supercars that already races internationally.

Although the bodywork rules are different, Story says that some groundwork can be shared from the Ford Performance-developed GT4 variant.

“It’s certainly a lot different being a two-door car, there’s a lot of frontal area,” Story told Supercars.com of the challenges ahead in developing the Mustang aero package.

“But these are exciting challenges to have and we’ve got a great team between the engineers in our respective teams, led by Ludo, in addition to the vast expertise Ford Performance has in the US. We’ve got the right people working on it.

“Ford Performance have already turned Mustang into a GT4 car, so they already have a good understanding of the aero side of things and how it works, so we’re not exactly starting from zero, but applying those principals to Supercars is obviously the challenge.”

Ford has also committed to running the Mustang in the NASCAR Cup Series in 2019 and, while having no direct relevance, the project triggered an aero capability upskill within Ford Performance.

Mustang GT4 Ford Performance_web 2

Modest compromise on chassis

The Mustang Supercars body must be designed to fit over the existing control chassis that was introduced with the Next Generation rule set in 2013.

While the possibility of slightly lowering the main roll hoop of the chassis to better accomodate two-door cars was discussed by the Supercars Commission during early assessment of the Mustang, no changes will be allowed until at least 2022.

Noting that every homologated car has required some massaging to fit over the chassis, Story says keeping the existing roll cage will not cause any aesthetic issues for the Mustang.

“When you look at it before you get heavily involved in the CAD side of things, that’d be the logical way forward [modifying the chassis],” he said.

“But the benefits of retaining the chassis that we have far outweigh the limited benefits of a small change to fit the car. It’s a very, very modest compromise, in real terms.

“It’ll look fantastic,” he added. “It’ll have the same profile as the road-going car and will look like a great Supercar.

“That was evident from the work we’ve done so far as part of the feasibility study that was entered into between Ford, Ford Performance and the teams.”
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (20th April 2018),Perko (20th April 2018)

Enjoying FOA's Final Masterpiece Perko's Avatar
    I am genuinely looking forward to this. It has sparked my interest in 2019. From a business point of view I feel sorry for Roland, but not on a personal level. Now that the Mustang has been confirmed it is only a matter of time before Camaro comes. Teams will get together to make it happen.
    Ford Heritage : KF Laser, XF Ute, XH Tradesman Ute, EL Futura, AU2 Ute, XD Ute, XH XR6 Ute, BA XR8 Ute, SX Territory, BF XR8 Sedan, EB2 S XR6, EB1 S XR8, WQ Fiesta, FGX XR8, PX2 Ranger

For sure the news for us finally is good moving on from beloved old Falcon - the ol back flip Ford have been very good at this.
    Why have pity for their side incl him, he hedged his bet first off on the change over due to money/support and has reaped the benefits to date and with ZB without any care what his fellow competitors may have felt having to go through him only.
    Dirty gamesmanship but in the first place GM shouldn't have approved it same as supercars.
    Now that the playing filed is changing against the tide (well got to see what eventuates on the track for starters) for a rare change whats to pity - they have never cared how much GM's dominance has done to the Series over the countless years.
    Feck we've been battling with just 4 Fords on the grid till of late the rest you know what.
    Its early days so much needs to evolve the coming years but lets not get ahead of ourselves at this stage.
    GM have a way to go getting Camaro RHD from my sources unless its done locally in the short term but consider the politics regards this.
    Dane would be pissed locked in with ZB ?, the time and resource poured in here must be huge so what IF Andretti/Walky get Camaro to develop ?
    Norm, whats your view on this ?
    Overall I'm loving this and what it would be doing to those Commodore/pug teams and more so to Dane - feck him its business.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Walkinshaws biggest hurdle it's political.

Will they need IP approval from Holden or GM?

Would GM grant approval without Holden's blessing?

All i know is they want to go it alone and know if they can get Camaro on the grid it buys back not just the fans but the potential to re-brand HRT again....

High stakes in deed.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (20th April 2018),Randel (20th April 2018)

Correct mate, the politics on this now is HUGE - I'm rapted at this stage Dane is in the corner here due to the amount of resource poured into ZB by Holden for starters.
    Would be very hard to back flip this such early days.
    The sales won't get much better in the future and its dead platform walking my recollection regards Pug announcements.
    I doubt GM would over ride its local arm.
    High stakes alright - for a rare time Ford has presented "CHECK"
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

If you follow closely you'll see Ford Performance globally launched Mustang into 3 separate Motorsport platforms yesterday.

Supercars.
    NASCAR.
    Drag Racing.

All happened to coincide at the same time.

That then compliments their GT4 efforts in the Continental series.

That's a hell of a lot of global brand synergy and alignment in one hit.

Hence "CHECK", mate will be if we win 2019.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

Randel (20th April 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Walkinshaws biggest hurdle it's political.

Will they need IP approval from Holden or GM?

Would GM grant approval without Holden's blessing?

All i know is they want to go it alone and know if they can get Camaro on the grid it buys back not just the fans but the potential to re-brand HRT again....

High stakes in deed.
    As mentioned in another thread, I think Holden backed the wrong product post Commodore (the real one). Imagine if they went down a similar path to Ford with the Mustang, but with Camaro, both as road car and as a race car.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

4Vman (20th April 2018)

They didn't have much choice Colville.
    GM US had their hands tied, Camaro was never going RHD from way way back so what could they have done ?
    Nothing but the only place a suitable product could be sourced, their biggest error was carrying on the badge.

Maybe what has transpired now GM may end up taking the large hit and do something but for what return in the big picture unless they do as Ford with Mustang for RHD markets for their hand is forced I suppose or more so their ego.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

I'm skeptical as to why GM have held onto Holden as long as they have when they've shown far less empathy with other larger brands.

Maybe Holden were more profitable than we thought...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast