Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: DJRTP to take over as Mustang Supercar Homologator.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post

Supercars should have fixed this before Mustang.
    That's where my anger in this resides, not with FP or the race teams. They have done their best to work with what they have but that framework needed to change before they even started. What is the point of letting in smaller coupes into the championship if they arent going to make any effort to accomodate for them. You just end up with messes like this. I'm actually surprised Ford Performance has permitted it
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

4Vman (8th November 2018),Elks (8th November 2018),Randel (8th November 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Supercars should have fixed this before Mustang.
    Particularly knowing that Camaro is in the wings, and even the use of a 370Z silhouette may have made staying in the game more appealing to Nissan.

There are plenty of smart enough cookies to balance out COG issues of the 2 cages.
    As a Pink Floyd fan I get mad when I see vegans eating pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    That's where my anger in this resides, not with FP or the race teams. They have done their best to work with what they have but that framework needed to change before they even started. What is the point of letting in smaller coupes into the championship if they arent going to make any effort to accomodate for them. You just end up with messes like this. I'm actually surprised Ford Performance has permitted it
    While I agree completely have you seen what FP have allowed with the NASCAR version??!

We got off lightly
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

True Norm, but I have never liked the Nascar model interpretations either of either Mustang or Fusion for that matter. It was also a strong point of difference with Supercars. They always had to have a much closer visual association with the road-going models to make them relatable.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

4Vman (8th November 2018),FTe217 (9th November 2018)

Ryan gives a run down on testing:

https://bit.ly/2AUeKu4?fbclid=IwAR1_...Xkaexxb7MXnQ_Y
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

I hope Ryan is right. I do think the cambo isnít helping but the proportions are the proportions. What were two of the Mustangs biggest visual assets (its sweeping sleek roofline and long bonnet) have been changed so I think expectations need to stay in check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    I hope Ryan is right. I do think the cambo isn’t helping but the proportions are the proportions. What were two of the Mustangs biggest visual assets (its sweeping sleek roofline and long bonnet) have been changed so I think expectations need to stay in check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ryan Walkinshaw has been pretty vocal on this topic.

He obviously see's the same issues for himself with Camaro.

I still don't understand why this wasnt addressed before Mustang.

While i accept the series will only ever suit large sedans and coupes due to the wheelbase and weight requirements you still have the roofline issue that forms the entire DNA of the coupes.

to add to this any change now means all of FP's efforts go out the window and you start again.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Futura (10th November 2018)

To quote Enzo Ferrari: "A race car is neither beautiful nor ugly, they become beautiful when they win."

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DoctorCleveland For This Useful Post:

4Vman (11th November 2018),Elks (Yesterday),FTe217 (13th November 2018),Perko (11th November 2018),Randel (13th November 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorCleveland View Post
    To quote Enzo Ferrari: "A race car is neither beautiful nor ugly, they become beautiful when they win."
    This.

I just can’t get into the anti mustang look with this car.

Very few race cars look like their rad equivalent even it it’s juts stance. Stance alone is very powerful and makes a difference.

It needed to look like a mustang, it does. It needs to be fast and easy to work on. I am sure it will be.

Li
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Quote Originally Posted by HSE2 View Post
    This.

I just can’t get into the anti mustang look with this car.

Very few race cars look like their rad equivalent even it it’s juts stance. Stance alone is very powerful and makes a difference.

It needed to look like a mustang, it does. It needs to be fast and easy to work on. I am sure it will be.

Li
    I keep telling myself the same thing, Ian. Then I see the car again. To my eyes, it looks like a toy. You just can't change what are fundamental design underpinnings and expect a very similar result from which it were based. Mustangs of pretty much any era are simple cars that have long bonnets and low roof lines. These proportions are what makes them pony cars, opposed to sedans. What Supercars have ended up with is a two door sedan based on a Mustang. It somewhat reminds me of those Hiller AU and BA Falcon two doors. Some would argue that they looked good but the polarising opinion was that as a 'coupe' then looked wrong. You only need to look at the amount of work Holden had done to the VX based Monaros where almost every panel needed to change, in particular the roofline to be executed convincingly.

I don't mean to harp on it. I really don't. I so want to love this new supercar. If asked outside of the safety of fellow enthusiasts I would say I am a big supporter. I am a big supporter of the Mustang Supercar.

I'm also extremely unhappy with the compromises they have been forced to make. It has done more harm than good to Ford's brand image in my eyes. Hopefully I am proven wrong. The only redemption will be if it wins consistenly. Even when it does, its appearance will always be controverial with a cloud over it. That should have never been the case, not with the road going car being so universally accepted and loved. It should have been beautiful from every angle. Now we need to pick our angles and convience ourselves it looks good from there.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast