Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Motorsport announcement.

Nissan Motorsport announcement.

Nissan Motorsport (Kelly Racing) are expected to announce their separation today from Nissan.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Perko (15th May 2018)

Ouch!

I wonder if that means Nissan are out, or if they are moving their business to another team.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    Ouch!

I wonder if that means Nissan are out, or if they are moving their business to another team.
    LOL out....
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Enjoying FOA's Final Masterpiece Perko's Avatar
    Interesting choice for the Kelly team. Do you run with Ford and the Mustang if there are any spots left? Do you run with Commodore and have a nameplate that is losing popularity and relevance (sort of like the Maxima)? Or do you go the hail Mary and try to get on board the Camaro development pathway with Andretti?
    Ford Heritage : KF Laser, XF Ute, XH Tradesman Ute, EL Futura, AU2 Ute, XD Ute, XH XR6 Ute, BA XR8 Ute, SX Territory, BF XR8 Sedan, EB2 S XR6, EB1 S XR8, WQ Fiesta, FGX XR8, PX2 Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Perko View Post
    Interesting choice for the Kelly team. Do you run with Ford and the Mustang if there are any spots left? Do you run with Commodore and have a nameplate that is losing popularity and relevance (sort of like the Maxima)? Or do you go the hail Mary and try to get on board the Camaro development pathway with Andretti?
    Given the Kelly's history with holden and Walkinshaw id expect them to get on board with WAU and Camaro for 2020.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (15th May 2018),Perko (15th May 2018)

https://autoaction.com.au/2018/05/15...quit-supercars

KELLY RACING will continue running Altima V8s without Nissan factory backing next year.

By MARK FOGARTY

Co-owner Todd Kelly confirmed the squad would stick with the Altima despite Nissan’s decision to withdraw from Supercars at the end of this season.

Nissan Australia made the long-expected announcement in Melbourne late this morning (Tuesday, May 15), leaving the Kellys to go it alone in 2019 after seven years of multi-million dollar support.

Simultaneously, Todd Kelly committed to fielding Altimas again next year while promising to keep development going.

However, he did not specify how many Nissans the team would run, fueling speculation that it could cut back to two cars.

“It’s business as usual for us in 2019 as we continue to race the Altima next year,” Kelly said in a statement. “We’re extremely proud of the work we’ve achieved in designing the Altima race car and a road car based engine for competition in this category.

“This announcement won’t slow our development as we continue to push further up the grid.”

Nissan wouldn’t reveal when the decision not to renew was made, with a spokesman only commenting that the Kellys were informed “recently”.

He added: “They’ve been aware of it for a little while.”

The announcement comes as no surprise following Nissan Australia’s change of managing director last September.

Beyond 2019, the Kellys are leaving their options open as they search for a new manufacturer partner or contemplate a switch to either ZB Commodore or Ford Mustang.

The team has the engineering resources at its expansive Braeside base in southeast Melbourne to develop new or existing cars.

But for the time being, Todd and Rick Kelly are concentrating on building on the Altima’s recent strong performances, hoping to belatedly establish it as a consistent front-runner.

In its now official farewell season as Nissan Motorsport Australia, the squad is aiming to keep the Altima competitive for at least one more campaign in 2019 as an independent effort.

Nissan has backed the four-car Altima squad since 2012, when development of the L33 Altima and its production-based five-litre V8 began for the Car Of The Future rules, which allowed other makes from 2013.

In six seasons, Nissan has won just two races, but a podium double for Rick Kelly at Phillip Island last month suggested the team is on the verge of a breakthrough.

“We are very grateful to Nissan for the opportunity and support over these years,” Todd Kelly added. “We’ve got an extremely capable group of people and one of the best facilities in the country in terms of design and production.

“The next phase will be an exciting one.”

Nissan Australia managing director Stephen Lester – a Canadian national – announced the end-of-season Supercars withdrawal at the company’s headquarters in South Dandenong in Melbourne’s southeast.

“Nissan has decided to exit the Supercars Championship in order to concentrate on the interests and needs of our current and future customers,” Lester said in an anodyne statement. “We have obviously been talking to the Kellys for some time and making the announcement now suits both parties.

“I’d like to thank Todd and Rick Kelly, Michael Caruso, Simona de Silvestro and everyone at Nissan Motorsport for all of their hard work in the time that Nissan Australia has been involved in Supercars.

“I’d also like to thank Nissan Motorsport fans, we truly appreciate your support and will continue to work hard to achieve the best possible results over the course of the season.”

Lester replaced Richard Emery, who supported the Supercars program and championed the two-year extension of the Kellys’ deal, which wasn’t confirmed until September 2016.

The company’s statement also noted that “During its time in the series, Nissan has enjoyed a strong relationship with Kelly Racing – in particular with team principals Todd and Rick Kelly – and invested considerably to the motorsport program both on and off the track”.

The Kellys have had it pretty good over the 7yrs enjoying funding with bugger all good results but I suppose Nissan leveraged the marketing being in Supercars, for what I don't know.
    So, I wonder IF Nassan go it Factory GT racing next ?
    Good luck Kellys sticking with the Altima's, welcome to the real world without factory support.
    I doubt you'll keep pouring money in them 2019 on for what ? mid table results, waste of time but great to retain your lifestyle in your passion.
    Yep Norm they'll be back in a GM badge for sure.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    The Kellys have had it pretty good over the 7yrs enjoying funding with bugger all good results but I suppose Nissan leveraged the marketing being in Supercars, for what I don't know.
    So, I wonder IF Nassan go it Factory GT racing next ?
    Good luck Kellys sticking with the Altima's, welcome to the real world without factory support.
    I doubt you'll keep pouring money in them 2019 on for what ? mid table results, waste of time but great to retain your lifestyle in your passion.
    Yep Norm they'll be back in a GM badge for sure.
    Yeah gotta say if you ever get to see pics of their setup boy oh boy they either got a shit load off Nissan or Daddy's loaded beyond what we thought.

Such extravagance for such mediocre performances.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Yeah gotta say if you ever get to see pics of their setup boy oh boy they either got a shit load off Nissan or Daddy's loaded beyond what we thought.

Such extravagance for such mediocre performances.
    yer mate, Nissan have poured in heaps and it baffles you WTF for what lol....so good them milking whatever they got but I expect Daddy owns the sight/s and Nissan have been a nice 7yr tenant and more so.
    Have seen pics of the place - its top shelf.

That link has trouble loading.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast