Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Betty and Mercedes

Betty and Mercedes

Betty has a great interview with Foges in the latest AA. It's eye opening the lengths Mercedes-Benz Australia and HWA/AMG in Germany went to get her to drop the E63 program, extremely petty things like trying to take her transporter prime mover lease away because she "didn't smile at the head of MB Trucks"! It's no wonder she went to Holden.
    "I'm a pretty proud driver of the Ford Falcon." - Mark Winterbottom.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DoctorCleveland For This Useful Post:

4Vman (1st September 2018)

Wow. That is not good.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

MB not like being associated with race enthusiast bogans, yet they take the $$$$$'s from any tom dick and yerros from their showrooms even though half of them are shady characters, how does that sit with them you wonder.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

4Vman (3rd September 2018),Randel (3rd September 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    MB not like being associated with race enthusiast bogans, yet they take the $$$$$'s from any tom dick and yerros from their showrooms even though half of them are shady characters, how does that sit with them you wonder.
    And they continue to endorse Lewis Hamilton as the pinnacle of their driving teams.

It's no wonder he got the reaction he did at Qualifying on Saturday.
    Deutschland, Deutschland über alles
    Volkswagen Number 3 - Passat Alltrack 130TDi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paxton For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (3rd September 2018)

Yeah the irony...

I wonder how much dirty money has lined their pockets over the years.

Anyway.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (3rd September 2018)

It's an odd position Merc has taken knowing that 70 odd percent of their total sales are A and C Class cars. Those are cars targeting the general community (as opposed to the wealthy) and I imagine a lot of those are female buyers.
    Maybe the issues sat more with AMG? Even so, in Australia, the A & C Class cars make up the majority of sales.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

Its the brand image overall Colville - be it AMG or not.
    Boganville is not the game they like association with but that were, "MB, were premium, were German" mentality.
    Have you done business with Germans from German companies ?
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

4Vman (3rd September 2018)

Its the brand image overall Colville - be it AMG or not.
    Boganville is not the game they like association with but that were, "MB, were premium, were German" mentality.
    Have you done business with Germans from German companies ?

Not really Maurie, although my family heritage on my Dad's side is German. Does that count? lol
    I understand the brand misalignment. Or should I say I used to going back to when Betty first got into Supercars back in 2012-13. Since then the sucess of the 'mini compact' Mercs and AMG range in Australia along with their lower sub $100k pricing point has seen that alignment dramically shift.

I would go as far as saying that if Merc/AMG wasn't so short-sighted and supported Betty they would be reaping the rewards by now.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (5th September 2018)

One of them even has its own twitter account!

https://twitter.com/Erebus_car99
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

It's just not good business to profile consumers.

I think AMG and or Mercedes were right to have concerns about the sport and its direction.

It's not a great look when they had to abandon their own superior engine technology in order to be competitive.

It's not that they couldn't make it work, but the rules preventing them from doing it in a timely fashion.

If skaife reckons the sport didnt do enough to help Nissan what exactly did they do to help Merc.

It wasn't a straight forward deal for Ford to work through.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast