Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bathurst 2018 Last year of the Almighty Falcon.

The whole 'last Bathurst for Falcon' celebration felt like an anticlimax from a TV viewer perspective. Hopefully, it was better for those who attended. It was overshadowed to a large degree by it being CL's final race as a full-time driver, then going on to win. Craig is making a habbit of fairtale endings to a point where I am starting to think he is going to become a serious threat for the championship this year. Now that would be a mega fairytale ending for him. I still view Craig as somewhat manufacture agnositic or maintaining some level of affection for Ford given his previous involvements, although I suspect that may be wishful thinking on my part

Tickford (Cam and Chaz) did much better than I expected at the Mountain given their previous form. I just don't understand how those cars were challenging at the front, while Frosty's and Stanaway's cars where no where on pace. Stanaway claimed his car was up to 2 seconds per lap off the pace and he didnt hold back on blaming the team and car for this. I dont know what Frosty's story was but in my eyes Bathurst shows those cars have not suddently become uncompetiotive. They are still top 5 contenders, if not having the outright pace of the Shell and Bull's.

Scott did a solid job and I'm grateful to have a Falcon at least on the podium. The booing directed at Scott and Alex was appalling and just shows what a bunch of meatheads the large majority of die-hard Holden fans continue to be. Scott's reaction was good in that he did react, pointing to the Ford badge on his suite and threatening to come back swinging next time in a Mustang. He's a popular driver so to be booed by the Holden faithful may have come as a bit of a surprise.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in not taking the win, or expecting more from both Frosty and Fabs.
    Last edited by WASP; 9th October 2018 at 12:06 PM.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (10th October 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    The whole 'last Bathurst for Falcon' celebration felt like an anticlimax from a TV viewer perspective. Hopefully, it was better for those who attended.
    Sadly at the track it felt more than a little underdone and more like a complete utter afterthought.

Enjoying FOA's Final Masterpiece Perko's Avatar
    Overall I am happy with the result. If a Holden is to win then Lowndes or Reynolds suits me fine. Once again Scotty just shows his class above the rest of the field. Chaz had a great run and must be happier after this weekend, especially with some of his frustrations with previous races. What was frustrating was the daylight then to the rest of the Fords. You can blame set up yadda, yadda, yadda. However, management must be asking questions of both the driver and the engineer. Stanaway can't blame the setup if he is giving rubbish feedback to the engineer. There has to be something there that they can do to make the car come to the driver. I am no expert but to blame the car and engineers wholly is rubbish.
    Ford Heritage : KF Laser, XF Ute, XH Tradesman Ute, EL Futura, AU2 Ute, XD Ute, XH XR6 Ute, BA XR8 Ute, SX Territory, BF XR8 Sedan, EB2 S XR6, EB1 S XR8, WQ Fiesta, FGX XR8, PX2 Ranger

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perko For This Useful Post:

13726548 (10th October 2018),WASP (10th October 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Perko View Post
    Overall I am happy with the result. If a Holden is to win then Lowndes or Reynolds suits me fine. Once again Scotty just shows his class above the rest of the field. Chaz had a great run and must be happier after this weekend, especially with some of his frustrations with previous races. What was frustrating was the daylight then to the rest of the Fords. You can blame set up yadda, yadda, yadda. However, management must be asking questions of both the driver and the engineer. Stanaway can't blame the setup if he is giving rubbish feedback to the engineer. There has to be something there that they can do to make the car come to the driver. I am no expert but to blame the car and engineers wholly is rubbish.
    DJR's dry break caliper system caused them some headaches, both cars appear to have extended pit stops from swap-over issues, this cost both cars track position.

Had Scotty had better track position after the last stop he would have got past Pye (again), but time lost put too much gap between them and no S/C meant no way to fight.

Car 12 suffered transaxle issues in qualifying, it hurt their start position, they had similar issues during the race i believe, causing a shift issue. Qualifying badly compromises your race.

Over the entire weekend they went through 3 apparently.

Obviously given where car 12 started the race they chose an alternate pit strategy. This put them in a position to actually lead for quite a few laps.

This could have worked well if it rained or S/C but was a risk. Most of the progress they made was squandered in the pits with long fuel fill and caliper swap issue.

Either way, from the very beginning, the only way car 12 was ever going to be a threat at the very end was due to some kind of weather of S/C intervention given its race strategy.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Perko (10th October 2018)

Colville, I think you hit the nail on the head re final Falcon @ Bathurst.
    IMO its typical of anything that has concerned our loving brand here.
    Near on everything that is meant to be a celebration/tribute regards Falcon has been half baked.
    I know Bathurst has a tight schedule due to Fox welding the stick but I feel this is also part blame on Ford as I've mentioned on another thread of their handling of business here be it marketing/racing and in the end what they have part delivered to us consumers for soso long.
    IF it was in Holdens case I'm sure it would have had a very good display and track parade etc of every model etcetc going out with a bang but alas, Falcon goes out on a whimper.
    Just grateful as mentioned SMac and Chaz in the end were up there.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

WASP (10th October 2018)

Thanks, Maurie, sounds like it wasn't just me then. I do think Ford could have shown a bit more initiative with this as well. I can only presume they wanted to keep the focus on the Mustang story. If Falcon had won, I would like to think Ford may have planned something more. Given it was Craig they where respectful to not try and steel the focus away and let him have his moment. He was a paid ambassador at one time after all before Ford threw that away. I can imagine Holden may not have extended a Ford winner same courtesey given the culture of that business.

Given many of the Supercars commentators are ex Holden hero's I wasnt expecting too much love there, just a pay of respect which I think was done.

One last comment on Stanaway. I'm not happy with his conduct. Its not because his results aren't good, but because of his attitude and angst expressed towards the team and business that is trying to suppport him. I woudn't be surprised if his behaviour is having a toxic effect on moral within the team and creating a lot of tension and disharmony. It's a distraction the team dont need right now. But then again, maybe I have misunderstood his comments and actions.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

4Vman (10th October 2018),FTe217 (10th October 2018),Perko (10th October 2018),Randel (11th October 2018)

Enjoying FOA's Final Masterpiece Perko's Avatar
    Yes I agree that Ford could have done more but let's be honest, they didn't give the Falcon the love over the past couple of years so I wasn't expecting too much. However, I am also prepared to give credit where it is due. Their marketing in my opinion has been better and more focused. I like the Raptor and Mustang ads. They have a harder edge to them. Nice to see them get out in the market. The use of the Raptor during the races for recovery vehicle is a nice touch. Even our Ford PR lady is starting to talk about getting in and driving a Ford. These are all steps in the right direction. One the other hand what has Holden got...... Colorado? Pffffttt.
    Ford Heritage : KF Laser, XF Ute, XH Tradesman Ute, EL Futura, AU2 Ute, XD Ute, XH XR6 Ute, BA XR8 Ute, SX Territory, BF XR8 Sedan, EB2 S XR6, EB1 S XR8, WQ Fiesta, FGX XR8, PX2 Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Perko View Post
    Yes I agree that Ford could have done more but let's be honest, they didn't give the Falcon the love over the past couple of years so I wasn't expecting too much. However, I am also prepared to give credit where it is due. Their marketing in my opinion has been better and more focused. I like the Raptor and Mustang ads. They have a harder edge to them. Nice to see them get out in the market. The use of the Raptor during the races for recovery vehicle is a nice touch. Even our Ford PR lady is starting to talk about getting in and driving a Ford. These are all steps in the right direction. One the other hand what has Holden got...... Colorado? Pffffttt.
    Some more insight into news surrounding Ford's marketing efforts
    http://www.bandt.com.au/media/wpp-lo...-agency-roster

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

Perko (12th October 2018)

Oh for sure the focus was on Mustang AND Raptor.
    The corporate carpark 1st day I'd guess I spotted about 6.
    Again a real shame Falcon didn't get the focus it deserved to us but to Ford its yesterdays hero.
    I understand the FPV/Ticky Club had a display @ the Museum but was pretty lame, I didn't even venture over there tbh.

In saying that, the best Falcon thing for me was catching up with fellow FF and TSeries members.
    Our own Falcon tribute, had good discussions with the guys some days incl a dinner.
    Sometimes we can talk and talk and talk time flies.
    Enjoyed that thats for sure.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

HSE2 (10th October 2018),Perko (12th October 2018),project 064 (15th October 2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12