Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tesla outsell Mercedes in the USA

Tesla outsell Mercedes in the USA

https://bgr.com/2018/10/09/model-3-t...s-before-2019/

Despite all of the drama surrounding Elon Musk’s tussle with the SEC, and despite Tesla’s early troubles ramping up Model 3 production, the company has slowly but steadily improved production across its entire vehicular lineup. During the recent September quarter, for example, Tesla said that it manufactured 80,142 vehicles and delivered 83,500 vehicles to customers. Speaking to how fast Tesla is growing, the company earlier this month explained: “We delivered more than 80% of the vehicles that we delivered in all of 2017, and we delivered about twice as many Model 3s as we did in all previous quarters combined.”

Demand has never been much of a problem for Tesla, and now it appears that the electric automaker is finally getting a firmer handle on supply. In fact, a new report from Atherton Research relays that Tesla during the recent third quarter outsold Mercedes-Benz in the U.S. for the first time in history. What’s more, the report adds that Tesla was just 2,000 vehicles away from outselling BMW.

So what’s the takeaway from all of this? Well, for starters, it suggests that Tesla might actually be able to turn a profit before 2019, as Elon Musk promised a few months ago. While it’s no secret that Tesla has been burning through cash at a rapid clip, a ramp-up in production coupled with consistent demand for all Tesla vehicles suggests that Tesla may finally be poised to turn a corner with respect to profitability.

To this point, Macquarie Research analyst Manyard Um recently issued a research note (via CNBC) and said Tesla still has a lot of room for growth.

“We view Tesla as a disruptive technology growth company with differentiated products and strong brand presence in the secularly growing and equally disruptive markets of electric vehicles, energy storage, and energy generation,” Um explained.

“Tesla appears on track for production targets and should be able to achieve profitability in the second half of this year,” Um added.

Tesla shares have been way down in recent weeks due to Musk’s battle with the SEC, but it will be interesting to see if the stock rebounds if Tesla does, in fact, turn a profit before the end of the year.
    The problem with society today, is that nobody drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Elks (10th October 2018),Road_Warrior (10th October 2018)

Success at last. Well to an extent anyway.

I may be wrong, but I personally think Tesla won't make it as a stand alone company. I think at some stage they will fold, or far more likely, like all smaller manufactures, at some point Toyota/Ford/GM/Tata or VW will come along and swallow them up. Keep in mind if one of the majors were building them they would do it for a fraction of the cost.

But the change they have initiated will be here forever. Lets face it, purchase cost aside, Tesla has produced a car looks ok, goes fast, has plenty of space and cost between $2~$4 to fuel up. Less if you have solar panels.

Model 3 even addresses purchase cost to an extent. So this will be fascinating.

Add in that Jaguar will soon launch iPace. A model 3 full electric car with Jaguar levels of interior and handling

The next big thing will be PHEV. Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles. Look at Mercedes C350e, BMW 330e, or my favorite Volvo XC90 T8. These have limited range 100 ~150km on full electric, but can also run as a petrol or both if required. The reality is 90% of people do not do 100km a day. A friend has a 330e and goes months without putting petrol in it. And it looks like every other BMW3 series.

The XC90 is a 2t SUV, goes 0-100kph in 5.6 seconds and has the advertised fuel consumption of 2.1l/100. That is the future.
    The problem with society today, is that nobody drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

I think Tesla got the jump on the market and the associated early adopters have created momentum.

But some questionable build quality, engineering and Elon's antics could spell danger for the long term.

The big OEM's will swallow Tesla up eventually.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Elks (10th October 2018),FTe217 (10th October 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    The big OEM's will swallow Tesla up eventually.
    Or crush them.

The iPace from Jag, (Tata) is the beginning of the end in my opinion.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elks For This Useful Post:

Perko (10th October 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Elks View Post
    Or crush them.

The iPace from Jag, (Tata) is the beginning of the end in my opinion.
    Yeah sorry, crush is probably more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Elks View Post
    Success at last. Well to an extent anyway.

I may be wrong, but I personally think Tesla won't make it as a stand alone company. I think at some stage they will fold, or far more likely, like all smaller manufactures, at some point Toyota/Ford/GM/Tata or VW will come along and swallow them up. Keep in mind if one of the majors were building them they would do it for a fraction of the cost.

But the change they have initiated will be here forever. Lets face it, purchase cost aside, Tesla has produced a car looks ok, goes fast, has plenty of space and cost between $2~$4 to fuel up. Less if you have solar panels.

Model 3 even addresses purchase cost to an extent. So this will be fascinating.

Add in that Jaguar will soon launch iPace. A model 3 full electric car with Jaguar levels of interior and handling

The next big thing will be PHEV. Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles. Look at Mercedes C350e, BMW 330e, or my favorite Volvo XC90 T8. These have limited range 100 ~150km on full electric, but can also run as a petrol or both if required. The reality is 90% of people do not do 100km a day. A friend has a 330e and goes months without putting petrol in it. And it looks like every other BMW3 series.

The XC90 is a 2t SUV, goes 0-100kph in 5.6 seconds and has the advertised fuel consumption of 2.1l/100. That is the future.
    Going for a month without fuelling could get interesting. Petrol goes sour after a relatively short time and is fairly hygroscopic.
    Switch to "emergency petrol" may end very badly.

I suspect it would be far more logical to use diesel or even better LPG as it has lower "nasties" and stores very well.
    A velocitatem terram

Google-Fu, the ancient snowflake art of knowing little, understanding less but believing anything they find on Google as the word of God.

So I'm contemplating getting a fully electric or hybrid vehicle. But is it worth it?
    Cost of fuel is always increasing.
    Maintenance costs would be much higher in a newer car as I can currently repair my own which saves money. I believe maintenance costs are fairly low with new electric or hybrid. But that may change to expensive once vehicle is 5 to 10yrs old
    If I was to put solar system on house n install batteries in car port to charge new car or maybe get one that recharges through braking would this put me ahead of the curve, the curve being that moment in time when more the 80% of the worlds population has an electric or hybrid. Yes I know electric /hybrids are bad for environment in terms of what it takes to build one. But would the benefits out way the what it takes to build one? Money saved by not buying fuel, reduced initial cost of maintenance. I've heard a lot of people for the technology and heard those against. One against says keep old car n don't update so often as this is one less car made every year. (Wouldn't even notice but I guess if we all did this they might) so less resources. My old girl is 23 yrs old n currently considering buying my fathers bf xr6 ute. I could bypass this n spend up for new electric. The initial cost would be big n so would batteries n solar system but would I save in the long run. Take the gamble or stick with proven n reliable vehicle? I might have to sit down n nut out the figures

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Perko (12th October 2018)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/ca...ocial-facebook

According to their report, “the nickel contained in Prius' battery is mined and smelted at a plant in Ontario that has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that NASA has used the 'dead zone' around the plant to test moon rovers.”Jun 2, 2017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast