Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: F.E.N.A 2018 GT 10 speed auto review

Speaking of having an FP version, the Bullitt Mustang reflects this best IMO. I'm not sure if that is because it is a limited edition or because has its own unique level of tune.
    Lifetime Ford Falcon enthusiast and previous owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Current owner of a BA Mk2 FPV GT and a FG XR6 Turbo

Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code + 2018 Mustang GT 10 speed

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    Speaking of having an FP version, the Bullitt Mustang reflects this best IMO. I'm not sure if that is because it is a limited edition or because has its own unique level of tune.
    Agree.

Now if we can just get a special that offers both auto and manual options, color options, modern styled wheels, power upgrade etc they might actually be onto something.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

I've quoted that long ago, Bullitt is the best version out to date.
    CL Champs 2019 for the 6th time
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Champions 2019

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

WASP (14th November 2018)

Capt Slow ?! where is your review mate ???????????????
    Slooooooooooow is so ? SLOW.

F.E.N.A 2018 GT 10 speed auto review

MY18 Mustang Review

Well it’s been almost two months and the gloss hasn’t worn off.

I can’t remember the last time I felt this excited about driving a new car. I keep making pathetic excuses to drive somewhere. To go get something trivial from the shops, from the servo, to pick someone up, drop someone off. Whatever the reason. I just want do it in this car.

I think Ian has sufficiently covered the key points already in his brilliant review. Rather than repeating all of that in a different way, what I will say is that the highlights Ian mentioned have not been over exaggerated in the slightest .

I actually went into this with dangerously high expectations. Doing so always presents a risk when you’re buying something important to you. In the back of your mind you’re kind of half expecting to be a little disappointed. That has not been my experience with the MY18. It has exceeded my expectations in almost all areas bar a few.

Ok, so lets get those ‘short fall’ items out of the way first. Before I do please keep in mind none of the following below are not remotely deal breakers.

Sound system
    It’s not that bad at all, it is certainly much better than anything else I’ve experienced in the new Ford. For me, the sound of the audio quality doesn’t quite match the other qualities of the vehicle. It has a large sub in the boot which does give the sound reasonable depth, however there is a tinniness in the output which i have been unable to overcome with adjustments.

Memory settings for modes.
    In the MY18 you can pick between a variety of modes for tune, steering and exhaust, and save your preferred combination as MYMode. The problem is that every-time you restart the car it defaults back to normal mode and you have to toggle to MYMode again in order to activate your saved preference again. It’s only a minor grievance which is quickly forgotten once your going.

Gearbox
    I love the 10 speed and almost everything about it. What I have noticed is a minor issue when its ‘first start’ cold. If in Sports Plus mode it will shift harder and hold the lower gears longer instead of changing down for better economy. When it is cold it can sometimes hold onto the gears longer than needed as if it is stuck. I now tend to leave it in Normal mode on first start for the day until its up to operating temperature. This issue does make me wonder what a high km car would be like and how the gearbox would fare in the longer term.

Torque.
    Now don’t get me wrong. The revised Coyote engine in this thing when combined with the 10 speed really hammers and the numbers don’t lie. If you’re used to having cars that make big torque down low and pull hard in the mid range then I think you will probably notice this is not one of the Coyote powered Mustangs key strengths. While the gearbox is absolutely brilliant at keeping the engine in its sweet spot, you can occasionally catch it napping at low speeds, especially in Normal mode.

My car has obviously not done many kilometres ( 2100 ) so I don’t know how that might be affecting its performance. I suspect with a few move kms it will only get better.

Turning lock-
    This probably caught me out the most. The steering turning lock is pretty poor and definitely not as good as the Falcon. I do find it catches me out when trying to turn into car parks or tight spaces. Something to keep in mind for those city commuters.

There may be a few other minor things but all in all I just love this Mustang. The exhaust note is to die for (as a factory effort), especially in Race Mode. Even Normal Mode sounds good and especially on cold start up. Just Wow..

The interior is a nice, comfortable place to be and the exterior paint finish and quality is excellent. Panel alignment is still an a minor issue but it is possibly still better than my Falcons.

The driveline, ride and handing refinement is superb. Mine doesn’t have Magnaride suspension but the changes they have made to the standard performance pack leave you wondering whether or not the upgrade to Magnaride is even worth it. At least with the standard suspension you can option the lowering kit which I think I would do if it wasn’t on a lease. I would also get the forged wheels and stripe kit. That all being said, it still looks respectable as it is.

The standard height has settled a bit since new. Despite the deep front spoiler I haven’t had any issues with it scraping on anything yet. While the Magnetic colour wasnt my first choice, I really love it now.

Verdict
    I love the MY18 Mustang. Its not perfect but its really, really bloody good. It is the best new performance Ford I have ever had. Its my everyday car and that, quite frankly suits me and its purpose perfectly. This Mustang has made me fall in love with driving a new Ford again. It's that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WASP; 6th February 2019 at 01:19 PM.
    Lifetime Ford Falcon enthusiast and previous owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.

Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code + 2018 Mustang GT 10 speed

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

13726548 (4th February 2019),4Vman (3rd February 2019),Elks (4th February 2019),FTe217 (4th February 2019),HSE2 (6th February 2019),Randel (4th February 2019)

Brilliant read!!!
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

WASP (3rd February 2019)

Thanks Col.

So much want for a Stang. It's the competing forces. Stang still may win.
    The problem with society today, is that nobody drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elks For This Useful Post:

WASP (4th February 2019)

Thanks Col coming from an new owner.
    Curious why did you pick the dark silver ?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

WASP (4th February 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    Thanks Col coming from an new owner.
    Curious why did you pick the dark silver ?
    I actually didn't pick this colour to be honest, a family member did when they arranged the lease. While it wasn't my first preference I have no regrets and actually now prefer this color over my original choice.
    You can't really see it in the photos but it does have a Wow factor about it. While more understated in appearance than what I usually go for its actually a beautiful color in the flesh, reminiscent of Ego with subtle pearl hues and color flecks in the paint. I love this car in shadow black as well, but I didn't want to have to deal with the swirl and dirt marks as a daily use vehicle. Magnetic in darker lighting conditions almost appears black, but is charcol in the sun. The black wheels also suit the colour well too.

Magnetic is also not in your face which is better for daily work/business commuting purposes. For example, in my city car park, it can blend in which is what you want really. My Nitro blue Falcon used to attract peoples attention and really stand out. This attracted some unwanted attention and led to some superficial damage.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (4th February 2019)

Magnetic is a great color, especially in a Convertible.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

WASP (4th February 2019)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast