Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 door mustang?

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    I now relate to how most Porsche enthusiasts felt when the 4 doors Panamera came out.
    taps foot, waiting for the 2 door Panamera, AKA new 928 to come out.
    The problem with society today, is that nobody drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    I now relate to how most Porsche enthusiasts felt when the 4 doors Panamera came out.
    Which was also the same as Cayenne and Macan but as history now tells us the portfolio expansion hasnít hurt the core 911 one bit. Those additions haven diluted the 911s appeal or desireability. In fact all they have done is help drive volume and profits to allow the 911 to get better.

I would see that same potential here. I can see the mustang brand being successfully leveraged without detracting from the coupe.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

4Vman (13th February 2019),Elks (13th February 2019)

Enjoying FOA's Final Masterpiece Perko's Avatar
    Supercharged 5.0L with 10 speed auto in Colville's colour......yummy. About the only car that would put Vader in danger.
    Ford Heritage : KF Laser, XF Ute, XH Tradesman Ute, EL Futura, AU2 Ute, XD Ute, XH XR6 Ute, BA XR8 Ute, SX Territory, BF XR8 Sedan, EB2 S XR6, EB1 S XR8, WQ Fiesta, FGX XR8, PX2 Ranger

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perko For This Useful Post:

HSE2 (13th February 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HSE2 View Post
    Which was also the same as Cayenne and Macan but as history now tells us the portfolio expansion hasn’t hurt the core 911 one bit. Those additions haven diluted the 911s appeal or desireability. In fact all they have done is help drive volume and profits to allow the 911 to get better.

I would see that same potential here. I can see the mustang brand being successfully leveraged without detracting from the coupe.
    Yep.

it's about creating incremental volume to justify the product existence, while creating a broader more potent portfolio.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Perko (13th February 2019)

This is where purists will be at odds.

As I dont have an attachment to the brand I dont see it any other way than a corp face, a product we all say is still relevant.

I cant see past that point.

Does it or will it impact on the coupe?

I seriously dont think so. In fact I would counter the opposite.

More volume for the mustang brand can only strengthen the coupe.

I did tell Youssef that ultimately the coupe cant exist by its self in a single platform, that it will need to evolve into AWD with composite and or aluminum content.

If that cost isnt shared it will die. The pressure to keep Mustang affordable means volume.

If this were reversed. If mustang was a 4 door sedan and was evolving into a coupe option no one would blink.

I get that people will not like the mustang brand used here.

I understand there is some pretty compelling arguments why it should remain as is.

I just think at the end of the day the name and association will not impact on the 2 door.

I do like the idea of the mustang brand reinventing itself by leading the market as it did from the start. The pony car class is in honour of its name because of what it started.

I am keen to see the brand start something new but ultimately this is the lack of brand protection I bang on about.

Ford for me now isnt as emotional as it was. It's now all about merit. It's a bit cold and clinical.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Quote Originally Posted by HSE2 View Post

Ford for me now isnt as emotional as it was. It's now all about merit. It's a bit cold and clinical.
    I guess that's where we are a bit different in this case. Mustang is an emotive brand to me. Possibly not as much as Falcon was, but still I value the brand highly, what it means to people and its purity. I hate the idea that it may be used as a platform to develop variants like 4 doors or SUV etc, however I am able to put my big boy hat on and accept that this may need to happen if it’s going to be a sustainable product longer term. I just hope they maintain it performance and styling integrity throughout this process and differentiate those variants correctly. I don’t want to see it becoming whitegoods.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and previous owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Current owner of a BA Mk2 FPV GT and a FG XR6 Turbo

Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code + 2018 Mustang GT 10 speed

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

Perko (13th February 2019)

For me Mustang doesnt hold the brand cache of Falcon.

That's not to say i dont love the Mustang.

But now Mustang has to compete with every other brand on merit for my $.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

To me that pic doesn't show true Mustang DNA, more so Mondeo.

I'd happily welcome a 4 door Mustang to the fold, but not quite sure if I'm happy with the above resemblance ?.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
    To me that pic doesn't show true Mustang DNA, more so Mondeo.

I'd happily welcome a 4 door Mustang to the fold, but not quite sure if I'm happy with the above resemblance ?.
    Where as i see it as protecting the DNA of the Coupe with enough differentiation as to not bastardise or confuse it with the coupe shape.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Where as i see it as protecting the DNA of the Coupe with enough differentiation as to not bastardise or confuse it with the coupe shape.
    I suppose when you take into account the importance Ford might have in protecting the image that is Mustang and keeping the purists happy, then yes I can see the relevance in differentiation, but I'd like to see a more aggressive style/stance then what that pic above show's, as to me it looks more like I said , a Mondeo.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast