Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Frosty gone

While his 2019 plans are yet to be confirmed, the 37-year-old admits the prospects of next season will mask some of the emotion around his Tickford exit.
    That makes it sound like he was squeezed out
    The problem with society today, is that nobody drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elks For This Useful Post:

Futura (15th November 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    yes that it is, a older FGX ex Fab one actually.
    What's under the tickford cars now, if you were to twor the shell off is completely different to the start of the year.

By eye you can see that the claim of manufacturing new components isnt false.

This is all to do with engineering philosophy
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Elks View Post
    That makes it sound like he was squeezed out
    Or cant wait to get out.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Quote Originally Posted by HSE2 View Post
    Actually norm it's not.

It's a big part of it but those front ends can be very different
    Front cross member?

The pick up points and geometry of the upper and lower control arms are all parity controlled.

As are the arms themselves.

The only real way it can vary is in torsional rigidity.

I remember when T8 first engineered the birdcage 9" rear end to replace the traditional tube rear end.

The advantage was greater torsional stability to reduce flexing.

Obvious advantage was more accurate suspension tuning.

IRS negated that but it showed lateral thinking.

My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Front cross member?

The pick up points and geometry of the upper and lower control arms are all parity controlled.

As are the arms themselves.

The only real way it can vary is in torsional rigidity.

I remember when T8 first engineered the birdcage 9" rear end to replace the traditional tube rear end.

The advantage was greater torsional stability to reduce flexing.

Obvious advantage was more accurate suspension tuning.

IRS negated that but it showed lateral thinking.

For Ipswich, the engeerers at Tickford, one of them came up with a completely new front end.

It was manufactured over 24 hours straight, packed into suitcases and air freighted up.

When it got there no one knew what it was or how it worked in terms of tuning.

100% completely different to what came out of the car. It doesn’t work as you think.

These days when you do a pit tour, if the wheels are off the car no photos can be taken. If it were just settings, geometry, you can’t see that by eye. By eye you can however see different components each time you visit.

What they do or how they work, I couldn’t tell you but this is what they are doing.

If you take a shock for example. Remember T8 at the Gold Coast not running in the rain. Dutton explained there was a risk of grit getting in the spindle? That’s an issue with Sachs. Not with Ohlin. That’s their design of which the teams don’t touch.

What’s inside the shock is different and where you get engineering differences all combined with springs and geometry.

What’s not appreciated is there is way more freedom to build parts which alters how the car works.

When Adam said on the grid that if you tipped the 55 upside down and looked at the car from underneath you can physically see how different it is.

I am like you. Until this year I thought there was little manufacturing flexibility with what can be altered in the suspension.

It’s not the case

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

13726548 (16th November 2018)

That video of T8's diff is a good illustration of how you can manufacture a component, geometrically identical to another, but of different construction.

Take that diff housing, it has to meet a min weight limit, identical geometry, but how you achieve that is open.

The net outcome is a stiffer housing, but its 3D CAD reference, from a mounting perspective, XYZ, is identical to the component its replacing..

If you look at the rules i think we could realistically apply that same methodology to the front suspension components too.

It's not reinventing the wheel, its simply altering it's design, but with an identical dimension from pick up or attachment point perspective..

If i've misread the rules on parity and geometry Im happy to be corrected, but that's how i've interpreted them.

Tickford selling Frosty's Bathurst winner.

https://www.supercars.com/news/champ...?sf202374491=1

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Tickford selling Frosty's Bathurst winner.

https://www.supercars.com/news/champ...?sf202374491=1
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

Elks (19th November 2018)

I am looking forward to his announcement.

It should make for interesting reactions

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

Perko (17th November 2018),WASP (16th November 2018)

Well, I just don't know about selling a winning car IF I was a team owner.
    I know some wouldn't care but I'm a hording sentimentalist lol.....I wouldn't want this gone anywhere but in my own warehouse/showroom with so much pride attached to it.
    I know just recently I read someone had offered Dane at Bathurst he'll buy CL/Richards winning Bathurst car and he's getting it but T8 have countless winning cars right but Tickford ? few and far between it wouldn't leave my hands one bit but thats me as said.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

Randel (17th November 2018)

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast