Page 83 of 88 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 supercars discussion. May contain spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut King View Post
    Tander/Courtney at WAU springs to mind. Arguably the drivers dowries left the team short of operating capital. Hence Tander's departure.

And quite possibly Courtney's at the end of this year...
    Since leaving DJR (and burning all their money) Courtneys probably been the most over paid driver for almost a decade.

Has an average Championship position of 12th since winning.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
    I'm sorry but I totally disagree, with your comment .
    you don't have to agree.
    SZ TS DIESEL RWD

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Since leaving DJR (and burning all their money) Courtneys probably been the most over paid driver for almost a decade.

Has an average Championship position of 12th since winning.
    Wonder if Frosty makes more than Irwin brings in, or if the Rock star has learnt his lesson?

Quote Originally Posted by Donut King View Post
    Wonder if Frosty makes more than Irwin brings in, or if the Rock star has learnt his lesson?
    Courtney has paved the way in gold......
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Roland conceded Anton showed them up and showed there's plenty of scope left for recovery of pace with the ZB.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Roland conceded Anton showed them up and showed there's plenty of scope left for recovery of pace with the ZB.
    That is true, but he also said that while the other (Holden) teams were doing a better job, they were operating in a window that was difficult to maintain with a level of consistency. He felt that considering DR wasn't up there with him demonstrated this point. In an earlier interview with Crompton, he claims this was because they just didn't have what the 'other teams' (insert Mustang) have. I interpreted this as they were out of scope until they were permitted to make aero and other changes, or the Mustang had its advantage removed.

Not sure. It's hard to believe the Mustang represents that big a jump in advancement but RD certainly thinks it is. That said, as you have pointed out several times T8 will be strong again and soon. My guess is at the Enduro's they will represent a major threat.
    Lifetime Ford Falcon enthusiast and previous owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Current owner of a BA Mk2 FPV GT and a FG XR6 Turbo

Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code + 2018 Mustang GT 10 speed

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    That is true, but he also said that while the other (Holden) teams were doing a better job, they were operating in a window that was difficult to maintain with a level of consistency. He felt that considering DR wasn't up there with him demonstrated this point. In an earlier interview with Crompton, he claims this was because they just didn't have what the 'other teams' (insert Mustang) have. I interpreted this as they were out of scope until they were permitted to make aero and other changes, or the Mustang had its advantage removed.

Not sure. It's hard to believe the Mustang represents that big a jump in advancement but RD certainly thinks it is. That said, as you have pointed out several times T8 will be strong again and soon. My guess is at the Enduro's they will represent a major threat.
    Roland will continue to play the victim card, but he needs to address his own deficit too.

Mustang isn't showing incremental leaps forward, the ZB's have taken incremental leaps backwards.

If Supercars were to do anything, (which they shouldn't as its upto the teams to exhaust engineering a solution), it would be to help them recover pace.

Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    I don't think so. T8 took a few years to get the right personnel in place and really start to consistently run at the front. Penske have also not been an overnight success, but I would suggest they had a much shorter path to success than T8. WAU will have the funds to be able to attract the right personnel, but this is a finite pool in supercars unless they bring in new blood. Being able to poach from other teams is increasingly difficult. Erebus aren't exactly a poor team either, although personal wealth rarely gets used to fund the race team, it is there if needed.

Yes, you need the right staff, but its a lot easier to get those people if you have the financial resources than if you don't. History doesn't lie.
    No surprises there. Money might 'buy' people Rob (usually the wrong ones), but it doesn't make them stay, believe in your vision or perform. All it gives you is compliance until a better situation comes along.

While WAU has money and resources Ryan knows the talent needed will not be motived by this alone. Good people and sponsors in this sport are motivated by the one thing they don't have at the moment. That is on track success. It doesn’t necessarily mean winning but showing the potential to win and momentum.

The notion that money equals success is something most people like to believe, but it’s nothing more than a false truth. Money is a consequence of delivering value to others. Nothing more, nothing less. To deliver value in this sport WAU will need to demonstrate on-track success as they did in the early HRT days.
    Lifetime Ford Falcon enthusiast and previous owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Current owner of a BA Mk2 FPV GT and a FG XR6 Turbo

Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code + 2018 Mustang GT 10 speed

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

4Vman (15th April 2019)

It's easier to improve performance with money than without. It doesn't always mean buying people. Sometimes it allows you to pay what people are worth to stop them leaving. It allows greater expense on research and development. The cost v reward argument is easier if there is plenty of financial backing.

I agree that having the right people makes a difference. Look at tekno since Hallem left. One of the smartest guys in pit lane. Real shame for the sport to lose him.

Motorsport isn't cheap. It's not by accident that RD and now Penske have risen to the top, and while money might not have been the reason, it certainly allowed it to happen.
    SZ TS DIESEL RWD

Interesting read:

http://www.theracetorque.com/2019/04...E-W6cda9DSQjjk

Year on Year Change

Scott McLaughlin – 0.2765 faster
    Tickford – 0.2125 faster
    Nissan – 0.1206 faster
    Non-T8 Holden – 0.0234 slower
    T8 – 0.5003 slower
    Whincup – 0.7960 slower

Page 83 of 88 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast