Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silence, I kill you.

Silence, I kill you.

It's become a norm these days that if one doesn't like something, one wants to silence it.

Removal of voice is often one of the issues one of the hands struggles with.

The art of debate for the betterment of all is now all about trying to remove a voice that opposes yours.

What prompted this?

Many things but the latest were two tweets from Rianna Crehan regarding the wife of an NRL player speaking out against immunisation.

I find the call to curtail speech more frightening than any single topic
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

4Vman (13th March 2019)

Aaron Noonan's on a similar crusade, and we've seen our mate Josh do it too.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

With regards to Supercars, I haven noticed personalities are starting to hit back on social media commenting. This medium has served to give a voice, and amplify the opinions of people (many faceless) in the very moment they are having it without consequence or regard. It is still the Wild West at the moment and is having a real and tangible impact on people’s lives and reputations.

In this environment, you can learn so much about someone you may never meet and cast an opinion about them that can overnight become a perceived truth through influence and ignorance. These insights and knowledge can be downright dangerous in the wrong hands. To quote Peter Parker's Uncle Ben 'with great power comes great responsibility’. Social media give those that use it 'great power', but few accept and take responsibility for how this power is used.

I am not for curtailing free speech and have no problem with people using social media as a platform to communicate and amplify their beliefs, opinions, and causes. There is a way of doing this that is respectful of others, but unfortunately many prefer to use other methods to ‘cut through’, exploiting free speech as the mechanism. While social media is frequently used to create accountability through exposure of crimes or inappropriate social behaviors, the platform itself is wide open to exploitation and supports very few controls that can enforce proper accountability measures.

In time (and not that far away) this environment will be bought under greater restriction and surveillance as data capturing sources we use in our daily lives will become more integrated and centralized. That means everything we do online and via digital touchpoints (including those we may not realise exist) will be logged and traceable so there will no places to hide. The WildWest will not be allowed to continue in its current form as it will become increasingly a greater threat to sociality than the rights of individuals. I'm not suggesting that privacy won’t be protected because it will to even greater levels of security and governance. Those that oversee and control that data will hold the power.

If social media has taught us anything it is that society at large struggles with self-governance. Given time, it will even try and turn on itself without regulation, consequences, and controls in place. While no one likes the idea of this happening the alternative can be shown to be far worse and there are simply too many of us to resort back to more primitive methods.
    Lifetime Ford Falcon enthusiast and previous owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Current owner of a BA Mk2 FPV GT and a FG XR6 Turbo

Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code + 2018 Mustang GT 10 speed

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

4Vman (13th March 2019),Perko (13th March 2019)

I don't see a problem with someone saying something in public. I also don't see an issue with them getting flac for saying it.

The person in question is essentially a nobody. And only has a voice cause she is hooked up with someone who can kick a ball.....WOW tell me more.

There's ways and means of getting a point across without going overboard or becoming offensive.

The art of the word....
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Enjoying FOA's Final Masterpiece Perko's Avatar
    Today's society has been created without two major things that were important when most of us were growing up. These are accountability and consequences. We were taught to be accountable for our actions and that there were consequences for those actions. Today people want the freedom to do whatever enters their feeble minds but do not want the responsibility that comes with it. Social media, society, legal frameworks, human welfare groups, etc encourage this and we are at a point where minorities have more power and people are not held accountable for fear of being labelled.

Not long ago if you flew your mouth you got it punched in. Holding people legally accountable for social media comments should be the start. Would love the day when this starts.
    Ford Heritage : KF Laser, XF Ute, XH Tradesman Ute, EL Futura, AU2 Ute, XD Ute, XH XR6 Ute, BA XR8 Ute, SX Territory, BF XR8 Sedan, EB2 S XR6, EB1 S XR8, WQ Fiesta, FGX XR8, PX2 Ranger

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perko For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (13th March 2019),Randel (19th March 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    There's ways and means of getting a point across without going overboard or becoming offensive.

The art of the word....
    It’s interesting that you mention the notion of words being an art.

My other pet hate right now is gifs. It’s for the person who has something to say but yet can’t be bothered. All it does is devalue any conversation, make whoever is reading click on the gif to get an understanding of what’s implied because it’s often not evident without animation and even then sometimes still not clear.

If you have something to say, say it.

If it’s criticism of an individual, if you wouldn’t say it to their face, DO NOT say it.

Staying classy and respectful never go out of style.

That said this topic isn’t so much about abuse leveled at someone but rather using a social standing to call for silence. To stop debate.

Debate has to involve conversation, there needs to be a commitment to learn from both sides.

This particular issue on immunisation is one where we basically say parents have lost the right to parent.

Speak out against that and you should be silenced because you are dangerous.

Itís only going to get worse I reckon. The rise of the minorityís will have long lasting implications.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to defective For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (15th March 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HSE2 View Post
    That said this topic isn’t so much about abuse leveled at someone but rather using a social standing to call for silence. To stop debate.
    In the context of social media, they are called influencers. People that due to their networks and social status can influence public sentiment to act or think a certain way. In this case, it is being used to stop debate of immunization under the suspected belief that the rights of individuals should not come under public scrutiny. The irony of all this is that it is often those that make their views and opinions public in social media forums in the first place that call for the debate to be stopped when their views and opinions are challenged. Moral of the story? if it's your business and no one else's keep it that way. If you want to share your business and become part of the conversation in the wild west make sure you've got your big girl pants on. There is a deep sea of ignorance and idiots out there.
    Lifetime Ford Falcon enthusiast and previous owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Current owner of a BA Mk2 FPV GT and a FG XR6 Turbo

Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code + 2018 Mustang GT 10 speed

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

defective (15th March 2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast