Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on road bikes

hmm, thats thrown a spanner in it. whats the chances no one bids and it stays at $400? cosmetically, i actually prefer the look of the shogun as the specialized looks a bit odd with the big frame. photo's never really do anything justice though.

i might just end up buying 2 bikes.... can easy sell again i guess.

Just had a better look at the two and my pick would still be the Specialized for a couple of reasons.

I am going to assume from the description of the type of riding you intend on that you will want a bike that will soak up some bumps and not drive them straight up your backside. The Shogun is a compact design aluminium frame which you will note my Monoc was. These are great for being able to throw them around and very stiff for getting the power to the ground. The down side is they tend to have a harsh ride that transmits a lot of road shock to the rider. The Specialized is a more conventional design with a larger main triangle with longer seat stays (the rear tubes from the seat clamp to the rear axle). These frames tend to give more vertical compliance and soak up the road shock better which equals more comfort. I would suggest a more conventional style frame for you. If you look at my bikes this is the exact reason I changed, the Monoc was too harsh, the Merckx is so much nicer to ride.

Also the Shogun is a much older bike, that crank design is similar to mine which makes it at least 5 years old, proven by the 18 speed (which my durace is), the specialized is the newer design with the updated bearing setup which is a much better option.

The shogun has had a serious hit to the right hand lever which looking at the design is a very old one and would be near on impossible to replace, I would go for the uncrashed Specialized.

Now the bad news, the Shogun is a 57 cm frame, I am 6' and I ride a 57 cm frame. That means the Shogun is too small for you which means you would have to run a ridiculously long stem (which seriously messes up the front geometry) and a very long seat post (which put enormous strain on the seat clamp). Not a good option in my opinion, you are always much better off in terms of comfort, health and equipment longevity to get a correctly sized frame.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

thanks for your advice once more. its clear you know what you are on about and have already all but convinced me to have a crack at the specialized one, providing not too many other people get interested in it between now and this time tomorrow. the description says ground to seat height is 100cm, which is what my old ricardo is currently at, so its probably just the picture and conventional style frame that makes it look big. i guess it depends if your height is in your legs or torso as well.

i'm not too bothered by bumps etc. there's a few pretty decent tracks around so ride is pretty good. just when i'm riding on the road, dodging pot holes, man hole covers etc things can get a bit bumpy.

either way, its going to be a fair bit better than my current bike.

in your opinion, just so i don't get too hopeful, would you expect that bike to attract more attention and go well beyond the $400 start price? or is the large size perhaps keeping the bulk of people away. to me it seems almost too good to be true and given i don't really want to spend a lot more than that, i'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

Ebay can be a funny thing, it all depends on who is watching. You have the location on your side as SA is expensive for freight to the eastern states and the size certainly limits the market, 60 cm frames are not as common as 56-58 in males.

Having said that, I think it is worth a bit more than $400 but stick to your budget, another will come along if you have the time to look. Good luck with it.

sticking to budgets..... starts at around $300, then $400, then you convince yourself that $500 isn't that much more and its a better deal..... before you know it you're riding home on a $1000 bike

Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    sticking to budgets..... starts at around $300, then $400, then you convince yourself that $500 isn't that much more and its a better deal..... before you know it you're riding home on a $1000 bike
    I know, how do you think I ended up on a $9000 bike? In stages that is how. Not my worst though, that was a $15000 Pinarello (what a beautiful beast it was until I got hit by a car on it).

Lynton glad to see your the expert here and will be very helpful thanks, were you in bike sales etc ? or just a full on fitness freak and learnt the game ?.
    I'm a casual rider and got to know a bit but never went OTT as some mates of mine similar to yourself it sounds.
    It's a bad bug LOL - could spend $$$$$$ like mad I somehow restrained myself 4-5yrs ago knowing my capabilities and took advantage of a run out Felt with all the riding gear just on $2k.....it does the job for my needs whereas my friends have being going crazy $10k + Pinarello's etc but they clock up the k's weekly as you some Triatholons, that Melb Bay race and go to the Down Under tours in SA.
    They keep at me but I laugh and say as Clint once said "man's got to know his limitations" LOL......but I do enjoy riding it is great fun and for me it was to keep up my cardio and leg muscles in tune for my Football season.

My beloved below - had to go my Blue theme - T3 Blueprint/Felt F5

and below my yet to restore baby - one owner being my Uncle's going to hung up somewhere around the house or garage
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

I started road racing at age 12 (now 40) have been on the bike in some form or another ever since. I made the change to triathlon in the early nineties, been to the Forster ironman twice and won a few state age group championships as well as the defence force championships. I also swung spanners in a couple of bike shops over my time, normally to help pay for my addiction.

I am the sort of tragic that will see a hot girl on a nice bike and notice the bike and not the girl. It really is a bug that bites some people very hard.

I don't compete now but might get back into road racing one day, now I just ride because I love it.

i picked up the shogun on sunday night, and have only ridden it a couple of times so far, and discovered for myself that buying 2nd hand does have its associated risks. i thought buying a bike off a 'bike guy' was a good idea, but turns out becuase he was a 'bike guy', the bike is well used. not meaning to paint too bad a picture, it is still pretty good for what i want/need at this early stage, but in some gears it is a little noisy. i was having trouble with one of the shifters ratchet mechanism but gave that a good clean out and it seems to be ok for now.

i took it in to a bike shop to see about getting a new rear cassette and chain, and upon inspection, the chain rings were also worn, probably more so than the rear, and i was told i would need to change them as well. that was $350 odd for the driveline. apparently the rear hub is a bit worn too and if the shifters play up again, new shifters are very expensive..... i was warned about this scenario..... anyway, the shop guy was quite polite but basically said to deal with it in its current state because its not worth spending money on it.

the story doesn't quite end there. being in and out of a couple of bike shops getting some accessories etc, i've been looking at all the nice shiny new machines, and i must say, the carrot is really dangling now. they look fantastic and i can feel an urge to spend up big (well big for ~$1000) and get me a new one. i think i'll whack the one i bought back on ebay or gumtree and cut my losses early. whilst the size is workable for me, the frame really is too small. the seller measured the top bar, from handlebar to seat, but most manufacturers i believe measure the seat post, from centre of crank to top of tube (where seat goes in). this is only 56cm on mine and me being 6'2, its about an inch at least off the mark.

anyway, browsing the local bike shops in adelaide for all the specials on new bikes up to $1000 with a minimum of tiagra components had me come up with these examples and rather than continually bombard lynton (thanks again for all your help mate) i thought i'd put these options on the forum so everyone can have an input.

here's a bit of a short list

merida race lite 903 (2012)
    http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicyc...d/sa/102078708

merida ride lite 93 (2012)
    http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicyc...d/sa/102078710

merida 93 (2011)
    http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicyc...e/sa/102019518

Giant defy 2 (2012)
    http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicyc...n/sa/102099098

2011 specialized allez elite compact
    http://www.jtcycles.com.au/road-bike...spx?sc=9010-55

Apollo Giro 2012 (this one has 105 componentry)
    http://www.cumberlandcycles.bikeit.c...k/sa/102142806

thats about all for now. to the untrained eye like mine, all of those look fairly similar and i would just be choosing one that looked the best. the only one that stands out to me is the last one but not sure on whether apollo is a reputable brand or not.

thanks for any assistance.

ok scratch the apollo giro in the above list. just noticed it is small only

more options
    Trek 1.5
    http://www.bicycleexpress.com.au/bikes/Trek_1_5.aspx

Avanti Giro 3.0 (2012)
    http://www.lifecyclebicycles.bikeit....d/sa/102018979

Cannondale caad8
    http://www.bikebug.com/bikes-road-ca...ra-p-5911.html

^^i know thats an online store from sydney, but i'm really liking that one. $999 seems quite cheap for a cannondale.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast