Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on road bikes

just to continue the story....

i know the title is about advice on road bikes and so i thought i'd just keep it going as advice doesn't need to stop once a bike is purchased.

I did end up buying the caad8 tiagra cannondale in the link above. clocked up about 300km on it so far. work is just over 21km from home so have been riding to work every now and then. have done it 6 times so far. the trip there is fairly hilly for the first 5-8km then flat, 1-2km of downhill and then flat for the remainder, which is good because i get to work feeling fresh as a daisy...... sort of. the trip home is opposite, so the hard work is at the end of the ride. also, there is a headwind (has been every time so far) in the arvo so its a solid workout the whole way for me. i haven't been able to do the main hill without stopping for a 5min breather yet (southern expressway for those familiar with adelaide) but each time i've got a bit further.

i ride at night a bit too as i do shift work, but unfortunately the other night my rear light has decided to part ways somewhere along the journey, so haven't been able to ride to work the last 3 nights. just to keep at it, this morning when i got home i went on a lazy 40km loop (again, for those familiar with adelaide, i went down the expressway, worked my way through to glenelg and back up the coast).

i tell you this cycling thing is really quite addictive. i've heard recently that its one of the highest growing sports at the moment. certainly plenty out and about and nothing better than an early morning ride. its great.

i've already blown out the rear tyre the bike came with and so invested in some continental gatorskins. seems if its got wheels, there will always be an urge to modify it in some way.

so..... now that i've taken up cycling, is there a technical side? i'm sure there is, esp when it comes to tackling hills. at the moment its 'pedal as hard as you can for as long as you can, working up the gears as you go', but its probably better to maybe just pace myself a bit more. i'm a self confessed rookie so all advice is welcome.

i'm pretty happy with my progress, from struggling to do 10km round the block on a steel frame vintage, to doing 40km loop in a few short weeks. dropped about 7kg too.

Sounds like you are going great Rob, how are things now?

Hills are a question of fitness (this builds with work) and mindset (this is harder to gain). Hills are best attacked, teach them you are the master and they will not defeat you. That and light gears, spin is the key.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

a dodgy phone pic
    20121109_001.jpg

also, it was about 39deg here on friday and for some silly reason i thought that would be a good day to ride to work. being a busy time of year i hadn't been on the bike since saturday so got the crazy idea to ride on possibly the hottest day so far in the lead up to summer. i thought i'd be ok with a bit of airflow once riding but i had a headwind the whole way and it was also about a 500degree headwind. talk about energy sapping, riding in stifling heat. got to work looking like a beetroot, much to the amusement of all my workmates.

the trip home that night (9pm) was still quite warm but thankfully the wind had died down. it was also a small milestone for me as i conquered the main hill. was pretty happy with that.

ok, more advice time for a noob

i've clocked up close to 1000km on my bike and its started to make a few noises. mainly creaking in the seatpost and handlebars and a click every revolution of the pedals in the chainring area. hard to pinpoint.

anyway, i went to the local bikeshop which has a good rep last thursday to book it in but he was booked up so i said i'd come back this week. in the meantime, i discovered saturday that the tyres on my car were in need of replacing due to severe scrubbing on the inside of both left tyres which i hadn't noticed. it also went in for its 90k service this morning, which i also didn't realise was a 'b' service. long story short, the service cost and tyre cost has put a massive dent in my funds (have holiday accom payment coming out this week also) so the bike will have to wait.

now to the advice part. could i have some recommendations on what i could do myself to try to resolve the creaking issues. i put the bike together myself (seat, handlebars, front wheel etc so nothing major) but i didn't use any sort of paste or anything. the seat post is alloy, not carbon but should i have still used some kind of paste? same with handlebars. i'm thinking if i undo the bolts and re tighten them to spec, adding some lube, then it might go some way to eliminating the noise?? also, the clicking noise in the pedal/crank/chainring area, i guess i'll just check the tightness of the bolts in the area etc. the noise is weird and i can get it to stop by moving my shoes around a bit, so it could even be a cleat or something, although it normally clicks on the downstroke of the right pedal (seems to be coming from that side).

anyway, just after some home servicing tips until the funds recover enough to get it looked at professionally. there's nothing really wrong with any adjustments as thats all working sweet, its just the noises i'd prefer not to be there.

also, i oiled the chain with a wax type lube when i bought it. the rear cluster has accumulated a reasonable amount of debris. can i clean it all up with a degreaser? or something like wd40?

thanks guys.

I suppose Lynton is the man to advise here prydey - mind you you probably have already got advise from the other ford site.

Whilst this is a cycling thread instead of starting a new one re Mr Armstrong's up and coming appearance on Oprah coming their Friday of his admission to drug use !
    His spin doctors have sure been working in back ground what was the best way to come out publicly and re invigorate his name at the same time eh.
    Being a %'s game this will recover some support no doubt and typically the divide will be there those who can forgive and those that won't full stop.

Look back on the past top line sports people ala Ben Johnson and Marion Jones for eg.
    Johnson was one of the 1st real big deal offenders finally caught in the modern times re Olympics - naturally ostrachised and could never get a reprieve, I had watched not long ago on Discovery a doco of the many high profile caught drug cheaters and his interviews I thought were quite humbling, I don't condone the action and I can't crucify him as well for he knows he was wrong and he didn't commit a crime that puts you in jail but his sentence is maybe worse Shame for the rest of his life that is a heavy burden to carry on your shoulders till your time comes up.
    Jones roll forward many years past and also the world has changed/moved on and be more forgiving - having admitted her guilt openly and also "seeing god" more so from memory she is at peace with herself (so she says) and correct me if I'm wrong the general public perception is no where near as verocious as time has past compared to Johnson's personal challenge.

Now go forward to Armstrong 2013 - bigger than both the above as we know, the cancer recovery, the countless books, the now wiped wins, Livestrong etcetc.......
    The Oprah admission though staged as I said will one put him on the front pages across the world - talk about a comeback !
    I tell you imo he will gain massive support once again - also plenty of the haters especially the cycling world will make for an interesting soap opera the coming months !
    I admit I was amazed by him - read a few books etc, have watched the Tour even before he came along so everyone got on the back of his slip stream how could you not but the record states he cheated so for me the shine has gone flat, I feel for the dood but man you done wrong, I'm sure your paying for it but you'll no way suffer as Ben Johnson has done to date imo - you still have $$$$$ that can wipe away public rejection that at least gets your mind of it and as I mention the times are more so forgiving you'll be painted as a new man and gain new admirers who replace the lost ones.

Am I in my own world here ?
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

yeah, maurie, lynton has been great with his endless advice.

as for armstrong, i think the whole thing has had a bit of a stench from it from the start. obviously the 'witch hunt' can now be justified, but how credible are the witnesses? they are all drug cheats. hardly credible. the other thing is, in one of the tours (05 i think) the top 22 riders have since been done for cheating, so its not like he was alone. he is simply the one that took all the glory from it, so his fall is the biggest.

i think it will turn out that it was wasn't such a big secret either.

thats all from me on the issue. for sure he isn't a saint, but its not like he went around killing kids with automatic weapons. he just rides a bike. he has also done a lot of good through his livestrong charity.

Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    yeah, maurie, lynton has been great with his endless advice.

as for armstrong, i think the whole thing has had a bit of a stench from it from the start. obviously the 'witch hunt' can now be justified, but how credible are the witnesses? they are all drug cheats. hardly credible. the other thing is, in one of the tours (05 i think) the top 22 riders have since been done for cheating, so its not like he was alone. he is simply the one that took all the glory from it, so his fall is the biggest.

i think it will turn out that it was wasn't such a big secret either.

thats all from me on the issue. for sure he isn't a saint, but its not like he went around killing kids with automatic weapons. he just rides a bike. he has also done a lot of good through his livestrong charity.
    Agree completely, sure he cheated, but so was everyone else... Level playing field for the times, seems a bit rough retrospectively applying today's ethics and standards on things that were far more "acceptable" at the time they occurred.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Yep good replies guys - thats the path I was going Norm wish I could have worded it just as brief LOL.......
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynton View Post
    Sounds like you are going great Rob, how are things now?

Hills are a question of fitness (this builds with work) and mindset (this is harder to gain). Hills are best attacked, teach them you are the master and they will not defeat you. That and light gears, spin is the key.
    Lynton, whats your preference for hill climbs? stay on the seat and using leg speed or up a gear or 2, out off the seat and using strength? Im the later but i know nothing!!! i just find it easier. LOL
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

depends on my mood and the size of the hill for me. if its a short little climb, i do either, but if its a long climb, i'm sitting down and grueling away.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast